Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help identifying an old comedy short, please!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I need help identifying an old comedy short. This is something I've only ever seen once, but it has stayed in my mind since viewing it, except I forgot the title. I had seen it just after the end of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on the TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies), most likely one of their broadcasts of the Bogart film in the fall of 2010. I don't what decade the short was made exactly, but I thought it could have been 1930s through 1940s. In trying to remember what it was about, it involved a man in an apartment trying to save money under a mattress. The money was either stolen with, or mistakenly taken with the mattress (or whatever it must have been) to the garbage dump where the man could not find it again, but the man in charge of the garbage dump had found instead.

Does anybody remember which comedy short I'm describing? Thank you!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
And then what happened???? Is there dialog or is there a voice over? If there was a voice over describing the action, it might have been a Pete Smith Specialty. That narrows it down to several dozen.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
While we are on the subject there is a movie I have been trying to track down for 50 years. When I was a kid I saw part of it on TV, did not see the beginning or end so do not know the title.

It was a black and white, Hollywood comedy made shortly after WW2. I recall it starring Kirk Douglas but it does not appear in lists of his films so let's say it was a Kirk Douglas type.

It is a story about an athlete and health nut who is trying to woo a young widow with 2 adorable little boys about 5 and 7 years old. She doesn't like him but the kids think he is great. Her husband was in the Navy and died in the war.

In one scene, he finally talks her into going on a date. He takes her to his favorite health food bar where he offers her a Potassium Cocktail. She looks dubious until he assures her it is non alcoholic, at which she looks even more dubious.

That is about all I remember. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana