Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help identifying vintage Motorcycle Jacket

technovox

One Too Many
I just reeled in this vintage Moto jacket from a private party this afternoon- had to drive almost half way across the state to get it...Came from an ex-rock n'roller. Can anyone identify the maker or the era of this jacket? Has a cool half-belt back with original buckles, button sleeves...and badge holder with cross chest pocket on front. Unfortunately, a tad too small.

40CHP_Main.jpg

40CHP_back.jpg

40CHP_Pocket.jpg

40CHP_Buckle.jpg

40CHP_sleeve.jpg

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Interesting jacket. The lining looks familiar, the side straps and buckle too. Looks like Steerhide? What do you think? Is the zipper original and what brand?

technovox

One Too Many
I'm not sure if the main zip is original- could be, based on that it's a small Talon, same brand as the pocket zip. And I really wouldn't venture a guess as to steerhide or horsehide. The leather is thick and has some weight to it.

Mich486

One Too Many
A bit too beaten up for me to feel comfortable wearing it but I really like the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Very reminisent of late 20s/ early thirties sports-type jacket design out of which the likes of the Perfecto as we know it evolved by the late 40s, though this particular example may have been manufactured later. POcket configuration looks very thirties to me. I would suspect it might have been a police uniform jacket; I've never seen any leather jackets that came with the eyelets for a badge that were'nt a police uniform style. Maybe worth exploring that? Looks a bit like but doesn't match two or three of Taylor's police designs.

Peacoat

Bartender
A bit too beaten up for me to feel comfortable wearing it but I really like the design.
Approximately a size 40-
21" pit to pit
18" shoulder to shoulder
24" shoulder seam to end of sleeve cuff.

.With a p2p of 21" I think that is closer to a size 38. With all of my leather jackets, depending on the thickness of the leather, I subtract about 4" from the p2p to get the actual size of the jacket. Oddly enough, with peacoats, subtract 2" to get the actual size of the coat.

Peacoat

Bartender

I still haven't figured out this multi quote thing, so a separate post. Multi quote hasn't yet worked for me. I see @Edward has no problem using it, but he is more clever than I am.

A coat of Pecard would remove most of the wear (patina) on that jacket and freshen it up quite a bit. Then the Pecard would slowly fade and the patina would return.

VillainOfNash

One of the Regulars
It looks pretty reminiscent to a jacket I’ve got...I’ll have to double check when I get home later this evening, but if I remember correctly that one has the same lining with no tag as well. Super cool though...great score. Well worth the road trip.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The zipper, even if replaced, can help identify the era, which can help identify the source.

This is a Talon from the 40s
6E3bhgODqh5aOIQF0rQ36jbMJ2IN35cIcvqIoK3GFAT5RVJ_ROdAq0i1TStL42_HfsUyicbX5Zp_Vjb54HTNCwrLDUcI1bgC2l4YrqChvIdATKXBA07ydgkzsnIXpNGCbhQrjl9HrZlhzdk1rH_ydiPDMys1c-4Bfx3t6tBz67vHnuUwSHgp2cnEG7bhdcUBoV4cAwA47WEcso21peDpIY0n14vX54d3IK65e-zPE0_q8ukpeB6CEFvrupzmvNAc2cExRFyoAE3pIfdORzmVbx9XVNqmph0OecHrITIk8i2YPGJGW5j1LMHo4Rf_CLnulxs4w-hdED7_AZZpRVrcBWQHmiigUIl7u09rmGW-uX6mJwB_CBHtWAlHh8EoYSWU05qEiDCzqPIwO-0UJwfKU6-xezL5Zsk0nl7kHwRs9oj3j4LamIOJCdOMG0mj_znRHje_d9G8XwOJKxZQJuwOxvMCPRkfxDcBngdw39doxdu_C3o-oKucI26EuNEwFmkp7JhDnJYvdQsP5aVdy7kQ_wOa9er9S0lLJQMChFdrDxaTCh72B__BbJ1KwC4Gps7VJL5qAaESIfqkqojSIl060A5RcAzbrkSWL9IeRcbVvWoid_18X-X8jkiOrmqSRYeHbNTOM4BbJ7tzGQ8_Q0qFvnwH29SHFm5k2RMRc2QtQw240y4lEFautN8o9--ciEDtcL7Cr5UVOW-tqXvA8_x9vGXcIg=w938-h624-no

Here is another slightly different pull, but Talon down the middle of the stop, also from the 40s.

i4kqzYGZbn-7pejM0owNUpxHQ6nL6JzQYgtwKd19dgVwGZdez8phQaXNdx2qKTv1pjef9ksTTsNknngiP0QAQmKqEwGGJz_wcZwKcVAFbJvU8Xn5ZO15QKn4B0OwM4JiRbJBDU9W1sC2Ymskm-_y25OZOLKAqobQFQpGXpyujBnxomN5jItFWd1aVWcA3vDwS6dY__OpTZfxSSfjDX1YdKu2puCeMSvkiNr2gg2qHlyqHjDoUyAFSDN0B4ubokLltBinKIfdJrWd5jXKJFMwd96dyQ2Azcmfw8RoFtfLhYND4A9GU-dnwjHFNw_pgHGwSycazNiIZgYSwWTT6cx1zx1WaTLpaOknk4IyvKDGgBjZDreu7V0aXa-2M3qQ1OzFoIDJ51OWbM3PLiU-t_kEfHUEQamj2jj3iDZvYTvRt6GzR9gApzV8GSIJJVDgN684QNvOGWTYL1Bo1-bBKsXlIefX2RmSD7wGrb0v6eQVzqY3gVTH8Y22K_mgsGGuJCJa9ymY_dhydvnJnB8jEiWwUkyqilJb-DUa1sp9SEAfyuZetdMBDAaFxQoSIvVoI6o_oYTDOgzfT_ifDffqN9BpMbz3f5qV3FZ-wlgtrmLvDlMKsZLLzIlkq6g9MwYmUjxPNjxb4YfHudruW0LoqRkQgqZugD79sbNC=w458-h623-no

From what I could see it looks more like the second Zipper? The 50s would have a similar pull to the second pic with no Talon down the middle.

Both of these zippers are original, no other sewing tracks. Not uncommon to find 30s, 40s jackets with 50s Zippers. Some well done others not so.

Edward

Bartender
I still haven't figured out this multi quote thing, so a separate post. Multi quote hasn't yet worked for me. I see @Edward has no problem using it, but he is more clever than I am.

Instead of hitting 'reply', press the 'quote' button on each post to which you want to reply, then scroll down to the reply box and hit 'add quotes'. That lets you add all the selected quotes (or drop ones you no longer want to answer) to thecanswer windown, then you deal with them as normal. :)

Peacoat

Bartender

A coat of Pecard would remove most of the wear (patina) on that jacket and freshen it up quite a bit. Then the Pecard would slowly fade and the patina would return.
Or you could use any quality leather conditioner.

Instead of hitting 'reply', press the 'quote' button on each post to which you want to reply, then scroll down to the reply box and hit 'add quotes'. That lets you add all the selected quotes (or drop ones you no longer want to answer) to thecanswer windown, then you deal with them as normal. :)
Thanks. I was able to get that far, but neglected to hit the last button that would display the quotes so I could make my comments underneath. Now I have it. Just hope I don't forget it.

technovox

One Too Many
The zipper, even if replaced, can help identify the era, which can help identify the source.

This is a Talon from the 40s
6E3bhgODqh5aOIQF0rQ36jbMJ2IN35cIcvqIoK3GFAT5RVJ_ROdAq0i1TStL42_HfsUyicbX5Zp_Vjb54HTNCwrLDUcI1bgC2l4YrqChvIdATKXBA07ydgkzsnIXpNGCbhQrjl9HrZlhzdk1rH_ydiPDMys1c-4Bfx3t6tBz67vHnuUwSHgp2cnEG7bhdcUBoV4cAwA47WEcso21peDpIY0n14vX54d3IK65e-zPE0_q8ukpeB6CEFvrupzmvNAc2cExRFyoAE3pIfdORzmVbx9XVNqmph0OecHrITIk8i2YPGJGW5j1LMHo4Rf_CLnulxs4w-hdED7_AZZpRVrcBWQHmiigUIl7u09rmGW-uX6mJwB_CBHtWAlHh8EoYSWU05qEiDCzqPIwO-0UJwfKU6-xezL5Zsk0nl7kHwRs9oj3j4LamIOJCdOMG0mj_znRHje_d9G8XwOJKxZQJuwOxvMCPRkfxDcBngdw39doxdu_C3o-oKucI26EuNEwFmkp7JhDnJYvdQsP5aVdy7kQ_wOa9er9S0lLJQMChFdrDxaTCh72B__BbJ1KwC4Gps7VJL5qAaESIfqkqojSIl060A5RcAzbrkSWL9IeRcbVvWoid_18X-X8jkiOrmqSRYeHbNTOM4BbJ7tzGQ8_Q0qFvnwH29SHFm5k2RMRc2QtQw240y4lEFautN8o9--ciEDtcL7Cr5UVOW-tqXvA8_x9vGXcIg=w938-h624-no

Here is another slightly different pull, but Talon down the middle of the stop, also from the 40s.

i4kqzYGZbn-7pejM0owNUpxHQ6nL6JzQYgtwKd19dgVwGZdez8phQaXNdx2qKTv1pjef9ksTTsNknngiP0QAQmKqEwGGJz_wcZwKcVAFbJvU8Xn5ZO15QKn4B0OwM4JiRbJBDU9W1sC2Ymskm-_y25OZOLKAqobQFQpGXpyujBnxomN5jItFWd1aVWcA3vDwS6dY__OpTZfxSSfjDX1YdKu2puCeMSvkiNr2gg2qHlyqHjDoUyAFSDN0B4ubokLltBinKIfdJrWd5jXKJFMwd96dyQ2Azcmfw8RoFtfLhYND4A9GU-dnwjHFNw_pgHGwSycazNiIZgYSwWTT6cx1zx1WaTLpaOknk4IyvKDGgBjZDreu7V0aXa-2M3qQ1OzFoIDJ51OWbM3PLiU-t_kEfHUEQamj2jj3iDZvYTvRt6GzR9gApzV8GSIJJVDgN684QNvOGWTYL1Bo1-bBKsXlIefX2RmSD7wGrb0v6eQVzqY3gVTH8Y22K_mgsGGuJCJa9ymY_dhydvnJnB8jEiWwUkyqilJb-DUa1sp9SEAfyuZetdMBDAaFxQoSIvVoI6o_oYTDOgzfT_ifDffqN9BpMbz3f5qV3FZ-wlgtrmLvDlMKsZLLzIlkq6g9MwYmUjxPNjxb4YfHudruW0LoqRkQgqZugD79sbNC=w458-h623-no

From what I could see it looks more like the second Zipper? The 50s would have a similar pull to the second pic with no Talon down the middle.

Both of these zippers are original, no other sewing tracks. Not uncommon to find 30s, 40s jackets with 50s Zippers. Some well done others not so.

Thanks for the pics...Here's a close up of the main zip on the jacket in question. Perhaps a replacement zip from the 50's?
40CHP_Zip_CU.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the pics...Here's a close up of the main zip on the jacket in question. Perhaps a replacement zip from the 50's?
View attachment 165584

Yes, that is a 50s Talon. Does look to be replaced given the loose threads I can see in the picture. I thought I had a jacket with the same buckle and strap, but I was mistaken.

As others have said, could well be late 30s origin. Found in California probably made in the Bay Area.

In my talks with Dave Shelley I have come to understand there is a lot of jacket forensics that I know nothing about, most people don't know/understand. The subtle yet significant differences in the construction of a jacket that can identify the maker or rule out a maker.

I ask about steerhide as it does show up in police jackets from the 30s through the 50s. I originally was surprised by that, thinking all tough wear jackets would be Horsehide. How did a maker determine what leather to use? What they had in stock? What they could get? What they liked in a certain application? What was popular? What was cost effective?

This is a case of a cool jacket that remains Cool with no name, no known leather, no known age.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Given the lining, I'd say Block Built is a good guess.

The biggest identifying factor may be the buckles on the side adjustment tabs, which appear to be unique. I assume they are adjustable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk