Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help in buying a hat that is not uncomfortable for the forehead

sens

New in Town
I am searching for the right hat. I bought a mesh hat that purported to be a cooling anti sweat type of hat. It was only partly true in that the part where it covers the top of the head was really thin and had pores.

But the most important part of a hat for comfort in my opinion is that the part where the hat covers the forehead area should be very thin. But this hat was not thin, it just hugged close and tight at the forehead, making it uncomfortable and sweaty.

In other words it failed in its design on the most important point of a anti sweat hat.

Doe anyone know a hat that actually prevents sweat on the forehead by either a very porous material that rests on the forehead or some in-built mechanism that makes it have no contact with the forehead?

Anyway this is the hat I bought which made the forehead uncomfortable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FPZR6S/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see that it doesn't have any claims of anti-sweating, maybe I just bought the wrong one?

Anyways please recommend me a good anti-sweat (especially for the forehead) hat. Thank you!

Perhaps the problem is that I have bangs on my hair that comes down at my forehead and the hat presses the tufts of hair onto my forehead which makes it unbearbly hot and uncomfortable, aggravating the problem. Maybe I should both cut off my hair (buzz cut?) and get a hat that actually leaves the forehead alone, if it exists.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Harm to answer this one, since all hats are going to touch the forehead. Baseball style mesh caps are generally designed to cool the top of your head. They are also designed to hug the top of your head versus leaving a pocket of air for potential ventilation.

Most of the hats worn here have leather sweatbands. The leather can be pourous, depending on the quality, or synthetic, which will cause you to sweat more. Most natural straw hats are woven / vented for a cooler fit.

Are you specifically looking for a baseball style cap? Is this for running, sports, active wear?

wine65

One of the Regulars
If when you wear a hat it is snug in front / back but loose on the sides you may need a long oval hat which might be more comfortable for you.

sens

New in Town
I want a hat to cover my eyes from the direct sun and also the direct indoor lights, because I have sensitive eyes. But I am invariably bothered by the fact that the hat closely fits on the forehead which gets very very hot. It even gets hot sometimes without the hat, when the temperature is esespecially hot (80 F +), because of my hangs hanging over my forehead (probably should get a buzz cut), and I have to often brush my sweaty bangs out to the sides because it bothers by forehead, but when the hat presses down on it it is unbearable.

Perhaps I would have to describe and draw a rough sketch of what an ideal hat might look like and file a patent? But then patent seems so complicated and hard to do?

Last edited:
I want a hat to cover my eyes from the direct sun and also the direct indoor lights, because I have sensitive eyes. But I am invariably bothered by the fact that the hat closely fits on the forehead which gets very very hot. It even gets hot sometimes without the hat, because of my hangs hanging over my forehead (probably should get a buzz cut), but when the hat presses down on it it is unbearable.

Perhaps I would have to describe and draw a rough sketch of what an ideal hat might look like and file a patent? But then patent seems so complicated and hard to do.

I guess this would be the wrong time to bring up the fact that you should not wear a hat indoors?

If your need is shading your eyes, perhaps simply wearing sunglasses could alleviate the problem without the unintended consequence of making your head too warm. Short of that, I'm not sure you're going to find a hat that doesn't fit against your forehead.

sens

New in Town
Sunglasses doesn't prevent the lights from sipping in from the open space between the eyebrows or the space above the eyebrows and the sunglasses. So I need to wear both a hat and sunglasses.

I am looking for a good sunglasses as well. Plastic lens glasses hurt my eyes when I put them on.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
tumblr_ma9hdd3sOF1r6pltxo1_400.jpg

2179856488_24c09b9a3f.jpg

Funny+Photos+of+Old+Portraits+in+Gas-masks+(9).jpg

Hats don't fit the forehead well with hair between the sweatband & your head.
I've always brushed my hair out of the way so the sweatband would be against my skin.
Your condition(s) may make hat wearing impossible. Have you tried a visor?
But I don't think visors were designed for bangs either....

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
My first thought was of Tony Roberts in Annie Hall, after he's moved to LA and wears a sort of radiation suit in his convertible...

images

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Funny+Photos+of+Old+Portraits+in+Gas-masks+(9).jpg
[/QUOTE]

I LOVE this photo!!!!!

J LEE brings up a good question. If a Dr. prescribes head cover for a diagnosed condition can I get the prescription filled at VS or Optimo?

Bangs on forehead is an issue I long ago lost any understanding of. I've worn hats too often for too long. Hair, like grass, doesn't flourish in the shade.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Also, if sweating is an issue, I would suggest staying indoors. you will almost always sweat, no matter what you are wearing in hotter weather, as sweat is the bodys natural way to cool it's self down (regulate body temperature).

sens

New in Town
Also, if sweating is an issue, I would suggest staying indoors. you will almost always sweat, no matter what you are wearing in hotter weather, as sweat is the bodys natural way to cool it's self down (regulate body temperature).

I need hat indoors too because of my eyes being sensitive to lights, especially indoor lights.

GamaH

A-List Customer
I need hat indoors too because of my eyes being sensitive to lights, especially indoor lights.

Do what Bono does and wear prescription shades everywhere. People might think you're trying to be funny (or a douche), but if it's really that bad, it's on them for assuming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points