Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help--Jimmy Stewart hat

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jimmy Stewart wore a nice chocolate brown fedora in at least two movies that I remember--Vertigo and The Man Who Knew Too Much. He often wore it with a blue suit, which was when I saw that combination work. I would like to ask a hatmaker to make a hat similar to that one of these days, but to do so would need a photograph of what I'm talking about. Do any of you skilled and savvy people know how to pull that image from somewhere? If not, of course, I'll understand.

Feraud

Bartender
Here you go.
From Vertigo -
VERTIGO-21.jpg

VERTIGO-20.jpg

VERTIGO-17.jpg

VERTIGO-12.jpg

VERTIGO-15.jpg

VERTIGO-14.jpg

VERTIGO-13.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Excellent

Wow, I had also thought of getting some screen grabs of that hat, so this is cool. Thanks, Feraud.

danofarlington

Feraud said:
Here you go.
From Vertigo -
VERTIGO-17.jpg
Fabulous, thanks very much! I've got to get me one of those. How do you do that?

One other thing--if anyone there is able to do the same from The Man Who Knows Too Much where he wears that same hat plus a blue suit, it would also be good as a souvenir of that color combination. I would like to be reminded of how the brown and blue can go together. But only if it's easy sometime for somebody.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Not unlike this one,...

....from, "It's a Wonderful Life". This hat had an awesome snap brim that he pulled down on the right side. Really sharp. :) Maybe Mr. Stewart had a preferred brand of hat he wore in all his movies?

11978655_gal.jpg
[/IMG]

danofarlington

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Maybe Mr. Stewart had a preferred brand of hat he wore in all his movies?
I don't know about all of them, because I don't see them close enough together to remember, but I know in Vertigo and Man Who Knew Too Much, at least, he had the same brown fedora on that you saw on the picture Feraud pulled. There might be more movies with the same hat. Then of course his earlier movies would be black and white, as you have above, so it's hard to tell. His Vertigo hat though looks of the era, so I would imagine he changed them off at some point. You know, hats were so common among the men of the era that I think someone wouldn't stick for long with an outdated hat.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
That is really a wonderful looking hat. For me it's the color that really makes it sweet. Love that chocolate color. Jimmy definitely had a lot of style. I also would love to order a hat just like that one.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face

danofarlington

RBH said:
Here are a couple of Stewart hats that look good.

stewyjo7.jpg
I forgot about him wearing Stetson type hats. They do look good. Certain movie stars really fill out the potential of what good hats can be. Myself, I admire Jimmy Stewart, Sinatra, Cary Grant. Can't remember about Clark Gable. The best hat wearers have a certain insouciance wearing them that seems to also maximize their potential. I mean it's just a hat. You wear it, it doesn't wear you.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
That's exactly the look that gave me the inspiration for my version of the Hollywood brim. Love it!

That Mario/Stewart "swoop" is by far my favorite look now. At first I thought it was too much of a "windshield" in front of my forehead, but ive started to do all my 2+ inch fedoras that way. I think it looks really cool. I have the Biltmore Stewart model, but I can honestly say that my vintage Dobbs 5th ave looks a lot more like the "real" Stewart hat.

Here is the Dobbs:

JoshinDobbs-1-1.jpg

It even works with stingy's too, but you gotta steam the hell out of the brim:
Vintage Resistol 990

DSC03222.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points