Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help on flat caps and fisherman's hats

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay, trying to find some answers for a friend. We are getting into Zoot Shooting, a sport that recreates the Prohibition Era. I have lots of evidence of the newsboy cap during the era, but cannot find out when the flat [driving] cap or the "Greek Fisherman's hat" started becoming popular. As we dress in period style, I'm trying to help him out. Thanks folks!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
The fisherman's hats were around at the turn of the last century, so they would work, the flat caps don't appear anywhere til post WW2 pics.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Flat caps? You mean these things?

flatcap_1753303a.jpg

They've been around for CENTURIES.

Chuck Naill

New in Town
Perhaps this might help.

A 1571 Act of Parliament to stimulate domestic wool consumption and general trade decreed that on Sundays and holidays, all males over 6 years of age, except for the nobility and persons of degree, were to wear caps of wool manufacture on force of a fine (3/4d (pence) per day). The Bill was not repealed until 1597, though by this time, the flat cap had become firmly entrenched in English psyche as a recognized mark of a non-noble subject; be it a burgher, a tradesman, or apprentice. The style survives as the Tudor bonnet in some styles of academic dress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Please see this thread. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?63994-Vintage-Finnish-Hats

Flat Caps and eight panels were ubiquitous in the '20s and '30s, but the differences between the caps which were worn then and what is sold now is comparable to the differences between '30s suits and modern ones, or '30s fedoras and modern production ones. The overall form is similar, but the cut, material and detailing makes a huge difference.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps this might help.

A 1571 Act of Parliament to stimulate domestic wool consumption and general trade decreed that on Sundays and holidays, all males over 6 years of age, except for the nobility and persons of degree, were to wear caps of wool manufacture on force of a fine (3/4d (pence) per day). The Bill was not repealed until 1597, though by this time, the flat cap had become firmly entrenched in English psyche as a recognized mark of a non-noble subject; be it a burgher, a tradesman, or apprentice. The style survives as the Tudor bonnet in some styles of academic dress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap

Thank you!!

That is precisely what I was talking about.

The flat cap has been a part of English society ever since Elizabethan times (it was actually required BY LAW!!). So I don't think any photographs will be necessary.

But the flat-cap was generally considered working man's headwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112