Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Opinion on Old Stock Buzz Rickson B-15 Jacket

nkang

One of the Regulars
Hi all, I just received this jacket privately. The seller said it's a Buzz Rickson B-15 he bought over a decade ago. The quality is solid and feels like a brand new BR product. The color is khaki-brownish that I cannot find on Google. Besides the AVG patch, there's also no Army AF stencil behind the zip or on the left sleeve. While I like the smooth feeling of the zipper, it is a YKK one that I haven't seen on BR flight jackets. And it doesn't seem to be the BR civilian B15 since there's no whistle attached.

However, I have no idea what BR jackets were a decade ago so would like to ask those more experienced people if this is likely an authentic BR jacket?
4581e2aca80ab0316436c199ff7841a9.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Can't comment on the details, though tbh I'd be surprised if someone went to the effort to counterfeit aBuzz label; in my experience, counterfeiters would tend to go for big, mainstream brands like Schott or Alpha if profit is their sole motive. Interesting that the original owner chose to attach an AVG patch given that the B15 didn't come along until, what, 1943? Looks like a lovely piece. Charles HPA or Eastman (being, respectively, the US and EU distributors for Buzz) might be able to fill you in on the unusual details. Buzz do occasionally do recreations of what are supposed to be test models and such, so it could be something like that.

nkang

One of the Regulars
Hi Edward, thanks a lot for your comment. I forgot to comment on Fedora that Gary from ELC and BR Europe helped me and confirms that this is not an authentic BR jacket. Some other tiny details of the jacket also affirms my suspicion that this is most likely not authentic.

Edward

Bartender
Hi Edward, thanks a lot for your comment. I forgot to comment on Fedora that Gary from ELC and BR Europe helped me and confirms that this is not an authentic BR jacket. Some other tiny details of the jacket also affirms my suspicion that this is most likely not authentic.

That's interesting - it's the first fake BR I've seen. The pity is that from the photos and your description, it actually sounds like whoever made it has a product they should be pleased to put their own name to!

nkang

One of the Regulars
That's interesting - it's the first fake BR I've seen. The pity is that from the photos and your description, it actually sounds like whoever made it has a product they should be pleased to put their own name to!
Indeed. Even the YKK zipper feels quite nice to use. I noticed only a handful of negative details upon close:

1. The way the buttons under the collar are sewn reminds me of the loose buttons of a Alpha Industries M65 jacket I used to have.
2. The fur on the belt under the collar seems to be sticked to a foam-like material, which differs from that of my ELC B15.
3. The lining of the 4 pockets are made of a black fabric, differing from the sturdy white one in ELC B15.
4. The clip buttons on the pockets are smaller in size than the ELC B15 ones.

Otherwise the construct of the jacket and even the cotton shell seem impressive. Had it not faked the BR label, I might not mind keeping it at a reasonable price...

nkang

One of the Regulars
Not only has the seller accused my intention but has demanded that I pay a good will in wasting his time. I had offered, in kind gesture, to bear the shipping costs. Yet he kept demanding good will and tricking me into settling the dispute privately. He even said he could have just ignored me and never reply.

I tried and tried to see his perspective but PayPal kept saying what he proposed is bad. PayPal said that I should not settle privately but go through its process, which I will follow. Some people are very tricky and dishonest, it seems. Very saddened at such experience.

Edward

Bartender
Absolutely stick with the paypal procedure. Noone honest would expect you to avoid it. Likely the seller fears a strike on their record for selling counterfeit goods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21