Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need opinions on fit of Aero Cafe Racer Jacket

HectorTorta

New in Town
So long story short, I've been on the hunt for a nice cafe racer jacket for a little while now. I'd purchased one off the rack from a local department store, but the fit wasn't quite right and I returned it. I then bought a vintage Schott from eBay, but the fit (size 40) was just a tad too snug and the sleeves were too short.

I stumbled across Insurrection Leather here in Seattle last weekend, and fell in love with their Aero Cafe Racers. I know Aero has a strong reputation and after trying on a 40 and 42, the 42 seemed to be the better fit. Now I'm not so sure, and am wondering if I bought a jacket that doesn't fit.

Can you guys take a look at these pics and tell me your opinion on how it fits? For the record I'm 6'3" and 180lbs.

img3733a.jpg

img3735t.jpg

img3736o.jpg

img3738l.jpg

For the record, here is how the Schott fit that I recently sold:

img3709v.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
I think it's just slightly too baggy, and a tad long.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend the shower treatment, as I think it will take care of the issue entirely. Just make sure you want to keep the jacket before you do that...

JanSolo

Practically Family
What's not to like about your AERO? It's slim fitting, it has the smaller (and neater) biker's bi-swing back and the sleeve and body length is exactly as it should be. Honestly, I can't follow.
The fit of the Schott is uhm not so good... ;-)
BTW: What happened to your face?

HectorTorta

New in Town
I think it's just slightly too baggy, and a tad long.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend the shower treatment, as I think it will take care of the issue entirely. Just make sure you want to keep the jacket before you do that...
It feels just slightly baggy, but I'm not terribly bothered by the length. For the record the shop custom orders their cafe racers to be an inch longer in the body and arms.

Returning it isn't an option at this shop, so I might try the shower treatment. There's also a good leather tailor in town that I might take it to , but I'm wary about anybody performing surgery on this thing.

Last edited:

HectorTorta

New in Town
What's not to like about your AERO? It's slim fitting, it has the smaller (and neater) biker's bi-swing back and the sleeve and body length is exactly as it should be. Honestly, I can't follow.
The fit of the Schott is uhm not so good... ;-)
BTW: What happened to your face?
I should be clear - I love the jacket! Mostly. It's just that I have this nagging suspicion that it's a tad too wide. I have a 40" chest, 41" expanded, and for some reason the 42 just seems too roomy. I wish they made a size 41". :(

Oh my face? It's a hereditary skin condition. :D

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I think the length looks spot on.

I would be very wary of taking it to any tailor who isn't well versed in the style of the jacket. If you have anyone work on the jacket, let Insurrection do it. Carrie (one of the owners) makes her own line of jackets and would be the one to talk to. If you had it only over the weekend, why not exchange it?

Jerekson

One Too Many
After looking at the pics again I definitely think showering it would solve any fit issues. You could probably stand to lose about a half-inch on the sleeves and body, which are typical results of a good watering, and additionally it looks like you have a little bit of extra material on the back, near the shoulders, and this too would probably go away.
It's not like it's a bad fit, but it just seems like you have a bit of room for it to shrink. That's the perfect set-up for a good showering.

Besides, it will make the leather look great.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though, because you might not want the style I'm talking about. I like my jackets short and tight;

Jacket_1-vi.png

Last edited:

HectorTorta

New in Town
I think the length looks spot on.

I would be very wary of taking it to any tailor who isn't well versed in the style of the jacket. If you have anyone work on the jacket, let Insurrection do it. Carrie (one of the owners) makes her own line of jackets and would be the one to talk to. If you had it only over the weekend, why not exchange it?
Not a bad idea. I think Carrie is out of town for the next few weeks, but I'll definitely bring it up with her. Unfortunately I've kind of beat the leather a bunch over the past few days to get the ball rolling on breaking it in, so an exchange might not be an option. Plus, the 40" seems too snug.

JanSolo

Practically Family
The Aero CR is a tad longer because many people love the old J100 which was even longer than Aero's amalgamation. I'd say leave it as it is and wear for a good while. The leather needs more breaking-in.
(Sigh!!)If you then still think it's too wide take a gentle and short shower in it. No soap or shower gel, luke warm water only!!! Wear your jacket and zip it up and take care of the sleeve length. Make sure they don't shrink. This can be achieved by gently stretching the sleeves. After that roll it and gently force the water out. Dry it on a BIG and WIIDE hanger, pull it in shape. (Can't believe I just gave advice on things I would hate to do to my own stuff...)

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Like Jan said, hold off on the shower until you break it in more! As you break it in more, the sleeves will shorten up.

Yeah, looking at the pics, they probably won't take it back ;) Looks like you did beat on it a bit!

Goodwear leather has a sweet looking J-100 repro. I believe the back length is 26 inches with a splay.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hector, i know exactly how you feel. my feeling says that my cafe racer could be a little bit smaler. mine got the big bi swing back that is more roomy:

5387146821_bd9f400611_z.jpg

5387754178_a2ca437fdd_z.jpg

5387753526_3b40f9555a_z.jpg

The more i wear it i come to the result that it fits perfect. that is a heavy thick jacket and if it is trimmer i will be totally
uncomfortable. You lenght is like it should be. Like Jan says the AERO Cafe is a tribute to the Buco J100.

give the jacket the chance to break in. showering is also possible in a few month.

AERO is able to bring in the soulders a little bit, but they ask you to break it in first.

many regards

olli

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
I agree with Jan and HighandDry in that I think the fit looks really good as is. I would also just wear it and break it in at this point. Very nice jacket. I think you will enjoy it given a little wear time.

HectorTorta

New in Town
Thanks for all of the responses so far. Before doing anything drastic I think I'll just continue to wear it and break it in. In 2-3 month's time if the fit still feels off I'll consider either the shower trick (egads!) or getting it altered.

So Aero will then alter the jacket if requested? Has anyone had any experience with this? I assume I'd be on the hook for shipping there and back, but do they also charge for alterations?

Twit

One of the Regulars
I think it looks OK as it is, any fit issues are to do with the bi swing style of the jacket. From the front it looks great, from the back it looks a tad too big, but there is more leather in the back so maybe it will. I'm not a fan of bi-swing backs, which is why I think Lewis Leathers jackets are the best style wise - they just have a one piece back. I woukd wear it as it is for a bit and see how it fits in a few months, I'm sure it will be fine.

The Schott one you sold looked good, I can imagine it felt pretty tight but lookwise I'd say that was pretty spot on!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Hector,

I've had an Aero that needed alterations and it was kind of a pain. No charge for the alteration, but shipping and (accidental) duty charges. My alterations turned out OK, but not perfect. I think it's hard to communicate exactly what's wrong in pictures and words- you really need to see it in person.

Rather than shipping it to Aero, I would have Carrie at Insurrection do it. Probably be cheaper and better in the end.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Hector

I think the jacket looks fine. One question - are you planning to use this to ride or is this more an everyday jacket? If you are planning to ride I'm not certain how you could do it comfortably if the jacket was any tighter/smaller (as is the case with your old Schott).

And for the life of me I can't understand how someone would soak an Aero - showers aren't for beautiful jackets like your Aero (notwithstanding all the testimonials to the contrary).

Just my 2 cents.

HectorTorta

New in Town
One question - are you planning to use this to ride or is this more an everyday jacket? If you are planning to ride I'm not certain how you could do it comfortably if the jacket was any tighter/smaller (as is the case with your old Schott).
I do ride, but I'm a pretty fair weather rider in a wet location, so this jacket will probably see more street than bike use.

You know I did ride a bit with the old Schott. It wasn't terribly comfortable, but it was doable.

mrc

Familiar Face
HectorTorta--beautiful fit with the Aero Cafe' Racer! It seems to me that the best cafe' racer fit is when the cafe' racer will be a nice, tight fit with a wool sweater underneath the jacket. And...this is the fit you have achieved. I'd wear it and love it. It looks like you've already got a great start to the breaking-in process. Congratulations on your new purchase!

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I think that CR looks fine as is. The Schott's definitely too tight and the sleeves are supposed to be at least that long on the CR.
Wear it proudly and stop worrying about it. Rather worry about the pants' fit :) (just kidding)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk