Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Panama advice

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well, I have a very similar looking 'Cuenca', which I originally bought from Germany and knocked the centre crease out and re-shaped and raked just like this one- but mine only has a cotton sweatband- and it cost me around the equivalent of $15 and it's now a nice enough hat for the price.
The one Art is offering is much better than mine with a leather sweat'- it's not too cheap, it's just a good deal.
Hey, it might even be 6x nicer than mine at that price.
Save yourself the wait and suffering and get it now!-

B
T

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
No Cuenca

schwammy said:
Is this hat any good? The price seems too cheap. I don't want another Panama that's going to crack on me after a few weeks.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/mh0741.htm

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Panamabob,
Wholesales his Montecristi hats to Art.
I would consider a Montecristi over a Cuenca much better hat and the cost is not that much more.

If a Montecristi cracks i'll buy you a new one.

Give Robert Weber a call at 260-343-2686.He can get the hat you want and then send it to Art for the blocking and finishing work.

a Montecristi will last you a life time. I have one thats over 85 years old. :)

A Cuenca to me is like wool to beaver felt.Get the Montecristi in the long run its cheaper. ;)
Regards,

Sharpey

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I quite like the texture and feel of the 'Cuenca'- the coarseness is quite appealing to me. Of course the price is appealing too.
The coarser Cuencas look like what they're made of- if you get my meaning...
But then I don't have a Monti', although I've seen a few.

B
T

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Montecristi Or nothing

For me ans we are all different. I'd have a Montecristi or nothing. The Cuenca is just not worth it to me. Why! When You can get a looser woven Montecristi for the price of a Cuenca. Get a Cuenca wet, you won't have a hat left!!. I know been there and got that t-shirt.

A Montecristi can always be reblocked. :cheers1:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
hi Swammy,
Just caught this post and the hat is just a low grade Cuenca that I have been working with for a few years. What you are really paying for in this hat is the blocking, not the quality of the body. Frankly, I have used these bodies to expand my learning curve without losing $hundreds while I do it. I've never experienced the "noodle" effect but then, I have never tried so will defer to Sharpey on that one. Hmmm...maybe I'll get the bucket out when I get to the shop today...what kind of sauce recommended Sharpey?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Art, I thought I'd posted here about the workmanship being the cost....'twas at Club Obi Wan...

Didn't want you to think I was ignoring it...the workmanship is the key.

The spaghetti has happened on some hats for me...depending on the bleaching process.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
It could be free

schwammy said:
Is this hat any good? The price seems too cheap. I don't want another Panama that's going to crack on me after a few weeks.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/mh0741.htm

Any suggestions much appreciated.

It could be free :) !! I'd still get a real Montecristi. Art has learned to block Panama hats 10 times better now than that picture shows. His ribbon and bow work is second to none.

The ribbon/bow is what sets the Panama off just as much or more than the weave.Its a package great hat great block= Happy Customer!!

Sharpey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points