Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need photos; A-2's on portly guys.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
It may sound like an odd request to some, but I want to get an idea of what an A-2 bomber jacket would look like on a heavier guy like myself. Open and closed, authentic or repros. Just want to get an idea.

Thanks.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I can't help you with a photo right now, but as my front porch has developed a bit over the past few years, I've just decided to get a jacket that fits....and wear it. It's one of those 'it is what it is" situations.

I have an A-2 type jacket incoming, and the size should be a decent fit; I'm 5'9" or so, and 200 pounds, so skinny I ain't. The incoming jacket is a 46. I'll try to remember and post a photo when it arrives.

Best wishes! ;)

rumblefish

One Too Many
I have a photo of a general wearing a 54 or something larger somewhere. I believe it's in one of the leather flight jacket books. It is one photo of the general shaking hands with another officer.

I'd bet if you pose your question at VLJ some one would come up with it in a minute. Meanwhile I'll try to find mine.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband is 6'2", probably 225 or so, wears a size 46. I personally would not call him a heavy guy, but he ain't a size 36 jacket, either. He has a reproduction leather A2 (horsehide seal brown, US Authentic). He wears it all the time and it looks seriously awesome on him. Here is the only good photo I could find of him wearing it - I hope this helps:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Cavanaugh 2007/DSCN2472.jpg

Bear in mind, the A2 didn't have to be skin tight as many guys say. My husband's is not like that and it looks just fine. You can see in original photos, it was truly about 50/50 on a baggy or tight fit.

http://www.486th.org/Photos/Crew2/Tubbs.htm

http://www.486th.org/Photos/Crew2/Veal.htm

http://www.486th.org/Photos/Crew2/Zurkoff.htm

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've lost a bit of weight since buying this 50R Cooper A-2. This is what it looks like today.
3371499458_aaedcd85d8.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Fortworthgal and Carter - Good stuff. Does it look silly or puffy when the jacket is open? I avoid cloth jackets with an elastic waist because often they just make me look bigger and puffier, especially when left open. Does the weight of the leather eliminate that problem?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Here are some photos - reminder: I'm 5'9", 200 pounds. I don't think (or would like not to think) that it qualifies me as portly, but that's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

The light tan jacket is an insulated Schott in size 44, but it's a very tight fit for a 44.

The dark jacket is a modified A-2 from Sporty's Pilot shop in size 46. I just bought it on Ebay and it arrived yesterday. I really like the extra room, although the neck is about 2" large for me - looks a lot like the one in Carter's photo. I can live with that!

The hats are a Mallory I got which looks just like a Stratoliner, and my trusty Stetson "Twenty-Five" Open Road.

You can make the call on whether they look better open or closed. The wind flap on the dark A-2 does create a lack of symmetry when worn open, but as Garflield so sympathetically says, "Big, fat, hairy deal"....I wear them however it's comfortable.

P3200035.jpg

P3200038.jpg

P3200040.jpg

P3200041.jpg

P3200042.jpg

P3200044.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the A-2 taken inside with it zipped.

P3200055.jpg

P3200057.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My height and weight are similar to yours, Pilgrim, but I'm built bigger. A 46 would be a sausage skin on me! lol

That darker jacket looks like a cross between an A2 and G1. I like it. I'm also jealous of the "too big" collar. That is a luxury I have never had. Even as a skinny kid, my neck size was large for the rest of my body. [huh]

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Pilgrim's jacket looks somewhat like the Navy version of the ANJ-3.

I believe the Air Force version had an exterior windflap and epaulets.

In any case, a very nice jacket.

Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn