Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need sleeve garters- but what color?

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I just purchased this 1910s club-collar shirt reproduction for my suit. As a reproduction it includes the over length sleeves common for ready made shirts of that era, thus I am now in need of sleeve garters. I was considering ones on eBay (linked at bottom of page) that come in black, silver or gold, but I don't know which color would be the best choice for this suit. I like the silver band best, but would it look mismatched with a gold pocket watch chain? Opinions?
Thanks

eBay link to sleeve garters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Shi...US_Men_s_Accessories&var=&hash=item3ce6d3a3e6

Last edited:

lordwinters

Familiar Face
Just a word from personal experience, I purchased a pair of garters exactly like those and I find them to be torture to wear. They feel fine at first, but after wearing them for a while the blood vessels actually get squeezed together and hurt like something fierce. I am sure that issue will go away after a while of use when they get looser, but I went ahead and bought a pair of adjustable, elasticated fabric ones that do not have this problem at all.

Furthermore, my experince with the metal ones, apart from the pain was that they eventually would just slide off. So in short, I would advise not to buy a pair of those, and instead try to get fabric ones, which in my opinion look better as well.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Most sleeve-garters I've seen are black, or silver/steel. If you want yellow-coloured ones, I wonder if it's possible to buy brass ones? Because gold-plated ones would wear off in no-time, and then you'd just be left with steel or brass base-metal, anyway.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got fabric ones as well. They work just fine. I wouldn't waste to much energy for this. They are just for the one or two shirts with too long arms and will be hidden by a jacket or sweater anyway.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I just found a pair of black fabric ones at a local Tux rental shop, they work nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk