Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some Akubra Advice . . .

mingoslim

Practically Family
I need a little help.
I have never owned an Akubra . . . never held one in my hands . . . But I hear such great things about them, I am thinking of getting one.

Now, those of you who know me will know that I am going for a thin ribbon.
I am thinking Campdraft . . . But I am hesitant. They get regular rave reviews on-line, but I have been seraching on-line, and find that they are not listed by many distributors/retailers. It does't appear on David Morgan's site at all . . .

So for those of you who have ordered Akubras and especially the Campdraft, who is going to have best price and fastest service in your estimation.

Second, I have done a search of FL for advice, but was overwhelmed by the number of listings . . . I simply can not sift through it all. The upshot is, I am having a hard time figuring a few things out.

What are the actual dimensions? Brim? Crown? (I saw the crown listed on one site as 4.12 inches . . . and this seems terribly short to me . . .)

Also, it seems that there are a lot of color options, but pics usually show the standard Silverbelly . . . Any thoughts on colors?

Last, I know that some Akubra models seem to be marketed under different names by different retailers . . . are ther any Campdraft clones I might be looking for instead?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated . . .
But if anyone wants to just give me an old Campdraft in 7 3/8, that would do as well ;)

Spellflower

Practically Family
All I can tell you is DON'T USE STEAM when you bash it! My Fed used to be boxy as a volvo, and now it's more like a Lamborghini!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Hats Direct has them, if you e-mail them for availability they'll supply an order form. As I recall they did have a good price but Hats Direct prices have been going up. Good Luck!

ipokebadgers

New in Town
I have never ordered a Camp Draft but I ordered two others from everythingaustralian and was very happy with their service and communication. I had to wait for one of mine. I am considering the Camp Draft now. As others have said I used cold water to wet mine and then shape/bash them. It has always worked very well. I use dionized water because I make it at work. No hardness, no impurities, no staining.

Good luck.

What color are you thinking about?

mingoslim

Practically Family
I Took The Plunge . . .

I ordered a Campdraft in tawny fawn from Valley Country . . .
http://shop.valleycountry.com.au/cat...y54/product334

$118 US with shipping, etc.
With the dolar at rock bottom, I figure that is not too bad a deal . . . ;)

And will let you know more after it arrives . . .
If it is even close to as great as the reviews I have seen, I may follow up with one in Bluegrass green from Everything Australia . . .
http://www.everythingaustralian.com....=19&source=B19

Thanks for the advice folks . . .

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Got mine from Everything Australian. Took like 2 months.

Campdraft1.jpg

Campdraft2.jpg

Campdraft4.jpg

The open crown height was 5 3/4". The brim, I think, is 2 7/8". The size of this hat is 57 (7 1/8).

mingoslim

Practically Family
Sweet . . .

Yes, the e-mailed me recently to tell me that my order was going to take 12 weeks, instead of the 10 days the web-site promised.

Oh well . . . maybe I will have one next fall.

Viper Man

Banned
Yeah, the Campdraft is a nice looking hat. I have been watching the market for a vintage Open Road but may end up going with the Akubra instead. Anyone have a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8 they want to get rid of? lol

NonEntity

Suspended
mingoslim said:
Yes, the e-mailed me recently to tell me that my order was going to take 12 weeks, instead of the 10 days the web-site promised.

Oh well . . . maybe I will have one next fall.

That's downright fraudulent, and I'd cancel my order if I were you. In three months you could get a Campdraft from Everything Australian for a few bucks less.

If you want a very similar hat, take a look at the Bushman--the original Akubra--at www.davidmorgan.com. Like the Campdraft, it has a narrow ribbon and a bound edge brim. Fully lined and made in Imperial Quality fur felt with a 3 1/4-inch brim and 5 1/2-inch open crown, it can be bashed in any number of ways for a variety of looks. The only color they stock is Nullarbor Tan, a very nice dark beige.

For $7.00 UPS ground shipping, David Morgan will have it to you anywhere in the U.S. in a week or less.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I almost got a Bushman. I got the Squatter from David Morgan. Nice hat. Wore it to work every day for several months. Outside, rain or shine no troubles. It does show a little bit of "taper" now, but that seems to be from the center crease sinking in, which draws the sides of the hat in with it. I don't think it has shrunk really much at all. I have a different hat that I wear now, so the squatter is semi-retired.

I have not found ANYONE on the face of the globe that sells the Bushman other than David Morgan. I'd like to get one without the little metal chin strap hook thingies.

rokket

New in Town
I'm a Yank living in Oz for 13 yrs. I bought an Akubra "Stylemaster" last year. It's a great hat, very well made, and very stylish. But I wanted something more '40s. I noted that in all the 1936-46 movies, the crown was higher, the brim wider, and the hatband wider too. So I just bought a "CEO" - it's lovely! I will be updating th hatband myself to wider (about a 2.38 ratio to crown height based on Bogey's hats), but otherwise, much more late 30s early 40s. But anyway, Akubra is a great name.

I ordered it and it took 3 months. And I live in Oz. BUT, they said I was under no obligation to buy, and it would be held for me to view for several weeks (it took 3 before I could get in to the store). So while 3 months seems like a lot, it's not really "fraudulent", and it's because the folks custom make them. Mine was worth the wait. Hope this helps. Oh, I got mine at:

http://www.adelaidehatters.com.au/

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
3 Months

I ordered a Campdraft in March from Everything Australian and they told me 3 months before arrival. Gonna be a long 3 months

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
I almost got a Bushman. I got the Squatter from David Morgan. Nice hat. Wore it to work every day for several months. Outside, rain or shine no troubles. It does show a little bit of "taper" now, but that seems to be from the center crease sinking in, which draws the sides of the hat in with it. I don't think it has shrunk really much at all. I have a different hat that I wear now, so the squatter is semi-retired.

I have not found ANYONE on the face of the globe that sells the Bushman other than David Morgan. I'd like to get one without the little metal chin strap hook thingies.

What hat replaced the Squatter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112