Need some help identifying this hat!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Jesse John, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Jesse John

Jesse John New in Town

IMG_6069.jpg Hello everyone,

Hope you're all doing well! I could use some help here. I recently picked up this Miller "San Fran" BUT I don't think it's Miller-Stockman. I'm looking at the logo and it's definitely not a match by any means. However, the height of the crown and width of the brim (along with the bound edge and 6ply cord) match the exact measurements & trim as the one Miller-Stockman produced in the late 40's as per catalogue. The felt is incredibly soft and the leather band is too. Great shape nonetheless... Previous owner said it was her grandfathers, bought possibly in the early 50's.

So, let me hear your thoughts. Is it safe to assume this is a clone from a different "Miller"? *Notice the year of the co. in liner* I know every company out there had their own versions of hat styles. I just cant find anything on this company! Original box from "NO NAME HATS NYC" makes ya wonder...
    I've attached some images...
    Hope you all have a great weekend!
    Jesse

Attached Files:

2. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Miller hats was not the same company as Miller Stockman, according to True West. Same family, different entities.

The No Name Hat Co was entirely separate, the box does not go with the hat.

3. Jesse John

Jesse John New in Town

Hey Jared, thank you for your reply and sharing that article. So I guess it must've come from another Miller brother that sent Phillip Miller to Denver from NYC. Could it be possible that NO NAME sold Miller hats too? Considering both were based in NYC, I thought maybe there's a chance that the Miller family had a good rep & branched out. Just a thought, I could be wrong. Thanks again!

4. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Looks like No Name dried up in 1926

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/no-name-hat-manufacturing-co.58926/

deadlyhandsome and Jesse John like this.
  5. Jesse John

Jesse John New in Town

deadlyhandsome likes this.

6. The can’t help identifying who made it, but that is a gorgeous hat! It’s just “right” in every way.

jlee562 and Jesse John like this.
  7. Jesse John

Jesse John New in Town

Even if I came up empty handed in info, I was excited to share this with you all. Thank you- I must agree. I lucked out. My style of western too.

8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Yes, it's a nice hat. I've been wanting a San Fran for a while, for obvious reasons.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

9. And now I do too. I bet you’ll beat me to it.