Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need the recipe for Coney Sauce

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I don't know how many here are familiar with the original Coney Island Hot Dogs from the midwest, but I am looking for a recipe. I've tried looking online, but there are dozens that don't seem to be close. Most call for tomato paste and I know for a fact, tomato paste (or any tomato product) is not used in the original recipe. The original is said to be of Greek origins.

We have about five Coney dog stands here in Fort Wayne, but the original we have downtown is considered the authentic Coney Dog. It's a great place, in business since the 1914. It's in the original brick building, with a counter and stools.

http://www.hollyeats.com/ConeyIsland.htm

Here is a close up on the dogs with Coney sauce:

Coney-Dogs.jpg

The sauce is gritty and almost dry. It isn't even close to being a chili sauce. It's very unique. It almost has a cinnamon taste to it.

They serve it on a vienna style hot dog, with mustard to one side and piled with chopped onions.

So, saying that, if there is anyone that knows what I am talking about, and has the recipe, please let me know.

BillyCigars

New in Town
That makes me think of Cincinnati-style "chili". Its definately drier and has cinnamon in it - not like the Tex Mex chili we're all used to.

FWIW, I found a great recipe online awhile back for Cincinnati-style chili (basically a rip off of Skyline Chili) and it turned out amazing! I've made this a bunch of times and in large batches because it makes great leftovers.

Here it is: :)

2 lbs. Ground Beef
1/4 cup Chili Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Ground Allspice
1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 square (1 ounce) Unsweetened Chocolate
2 cans (10.5 ounces) Beef Broth
1 can (15 ounces) Tomato Sauce
2 Tblsp. Cider Vinegar

Boil the Ground Beef (I know, I know, but trust me!) in the Beef Broth until it is cooked.

Add the Chili Powder, Cinnamon, Cumin, Allspice, Cloves, Bay Leaf, Chocolate, Tomato Sauce, and Cider Vinegar. Stir to mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for (at least!) 2 hours. This is going to sound really bad, BUT, it should almost resemble a paste. Remove the Bay Leaf and you're ready to serve!

It's best if you refrigerate overnight. Eat it alone with a pile of shredded cheddar cheese and you'll die :D Even better as a hot dog condiment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana