Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative comments about your jackets from others

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Do any of you guys get loads of grief about your jackets?

So far I'm not having much luck with any of my WW2 era jackets I've purchased which have failed to pass the girlfriend test (although I'm beginning to suspect this is an impossible test to pass)....

In her opinion:

- Aero B6: "Eew, that sheepskin looks so girly and effeminate. It looks ridiculous."
- Eastman A2: "Eew, I don't like that jacket." (Why not?) "Because I just don't."
- Pike Brothers B-15A: "That jacket is so weird, I hate those leather triangle things on the chest, what are they even for?!"
- Eastman B-15: "That jacket is absolutely vile and too short" (I can confidently say it really isn't...)

I love her to bits, but it seems this is an impossible battle I'm fighting here! :p

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I went out with a girl who would buy me clothes that were ill-fitting and didn't suited me. I never understood it because she was forever dressing herself in flouncy, colourful stuff. Didn't help our relationship: 'oh great, a moss green, shapeless hoodie. Just what I would never wear or need..." (which I never said, I should add).

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nope, ah gits nuthin' but love! Matter of fact I got complimented today at the grocery store by a sweet, young thing who liked my "COSTUME"!!!!!!?????!!!!! Umbriago! Kids today got's no taste!!!!! I was wearing an A2 with squadron patch and fur collar, OD green wool scarf and Simonds driving cap. I thought I looked quite dashing... (mumble grumble). As for the OP, considering my size and penchant for menace... no one disses my leather jackets.

Coat1008.jpg

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I certainly wouldn't dis Worf, that's for sure! Actually, I've only ever had compliments for my jackets. Most recently, I walked into the LVC shop in Soho wearing my Bootlegger, hipster staffer murmered 'cool jacket, man'. I've had the same for my LHB, Irvin, Anj-4 and Board Racer.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I certainly wouldn't dis Worf, that's for sure! Actually, I've only ever had compliments for my jackets. Most recently, I walked into the LVC shop in Soho wearing my Bootlegger, hipster staffer murmered 'cool jacket, man'. I've had the same for my LHB, Irvin, Anj-4 and Board Racer.

Strangely, both my Dad and my girlfriend's dad have both complemented my jackets, in particular the B6. Maybe these jackets really are just something only guys can get!

My poor dad has received plenty of grief over the years from my mother for some of his Mod inspired clothing choices...but he just brushes it all off!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Worf could be my bodyguard's bodyguard!

Nick123, are they sexy faux leopard print curtains?

My wife thinks ALL my jackets are great! That's why she can't understand why I need ANOTHER one!

But I learned way back to let my wife know that she shouldn't really try to buy clothes for me. Purple silk shirts aren't me at all.

Never had any negative comments. Occasionally get asked for my photo by shy girls.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
MeachamLake,
Just speculating, but what if the problem is not really about jackets but more along the lines of "who gets the last word"? So the thing would be to get her to feel like it's her idea for you to wear one of your icky jackets. For example, maybe you could ask her, "Which one is better, this one or that one?" so she feels like she's choosing. Probably get shot down, I know.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pretty early on I learned that my girlfriend was not going to participate in my quest for the perfect leather jacket. Like several others have said, they all look the same to her. I have tried what Siggmund suggested and asked her to choose my jacket for the evening or afternoon out. This has helped a bit, because even if they all look the same to her, some look better than others.
Another thing that I tried with my recent Thedi order was getting her input from the beginning regarding what shade of buffalo to choose. She suggested a lighter shade than I was leaning towards because it was unlike any of the jackets I already own. This made a lot of sense when I stopped to think about it, so I went with her choice. We will see if she likes the finished product once the jacket arrives.
I wish you luck MeachamLake but I think you are probably in the same boat as many of us other jacket fiends here.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Our taste in jackets is kind of specialized. It's probably unrealistic to expect anyone but fellow travelers to appreciate them. Whether that be girlfriends or people at your work.

I have yet to meet a woman who likes them although some come close to appreciating the craft involved in a jacket.

Many of young women I meet consider leather jackets to be rather gawky and gauche. If they consider some star looks really cool in his Brooks cafe racer it is generally the fact that it is Bradley Cooper in it, not the steerhide garment itself. They'd feel the same about him if he wore a Kmart windbreaker.

Last edited:
I had to LOL at this thread. I've been there man. In fact still am. Wife can't stand my jackets. Too heavy, look like a cop etc, etc.
She also thinks I should wear skinny jeans...needless to say we agree to disagree and though I dance a delicate tight rope whenever she asks me about her clothes... I take her full bore opinion in stride. The only compliments I've ever received have been from strangers (and not enthusiasts). Ultimately I've always fallen back on the same line with my wife about my jackets. "You just don't understand". She agrees with that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm