Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Never Rent; or, The Importance of Proper Fit and Proportion

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I've been going through some of the proofs for photos from my wedding, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to do a little post illustrating a few matters of fit and cut that might be helpful to the folks here at the FL. I hope to illustrate the difference that buying and having a tailor alter your suits can make. When I first started learning and reading about men's style, it was difficult for me to understand some of the terms and visualize the difference that various alterations can make. Hopefully, this will help explain some of those elements, and illustrate how proper fit and proportion enhance one's appearance.

Below are two pictures: on the right is my wife and myself, and on the left one of the bridesmaids with one of my groomsmen, David. While the ladies are considerably lovelier than us guys, it's the gents' clothes that we're concerned with here. These photos were taken under the exact same conditions, which make them ideal for comparing. Now, in one sense we are wearing practically identical outfits, but in other respects--and upon closer inspection--they could hardly be more different. David is wearing a rented morning coat and trousers, obtained from the local Men's Wearhouse. If what's said about ready-to-wear suits --that they are designed to fit as many people as possible, and so fit nobody well--is true, it is doubly so for rental clothes. I, on the other hand, am wearing morning dress that I bought on Ebay and took to my local tailor for alterations.

DavidandHayley.jpg
morning_dress2.jpg

The most obvious difference here is the fit of the coats around the waist. While David's is straight, boxy, and shapeless, making his middle look larger, mine is shaped through the coat's waist with an hourglass effect (what tailors refer to as waist suppression) that makes my midsection look slimmer and my chest larger. The unsuppressed, boxy look is unflattering in any jacket, but it's particularly bad with a morning coat because the tapered sweep of the coat's lower quarters and tail makes it look vaguely like a giant wedge, which further fails to flatter.

Second, look at the button stance of the jacket. Mine is a few inches higher, allowing for both a longer sweep of the cut-away quarters and a longer leg line, both of which make me look taller and therefore slimmer.

Next, look at the sleeves. Not only is David not showing any linen at the cuff, instead of tapering the sleeves stay full and baggy all the way down. This allows the excess material to bag out at the sides, unfortunately enhancing the overall oblong look of the whole jacket. The length and bagginess of the sleeves also make his hands appear sort of lost. My sleeves, on the other hand, taper with my arm from wider at the shoulder and bicep to smaller at the wrist. This helps my arm and hand appear more defined physically and finished sartorially.

Finally, observe the shoulders. David's jacket shoulders are more built up and squarish, and the end of the shoulder padding extends beyond the end of his actual shoulders. The built-up shoulders look more artificial, and they make David's neck look shorter as well. The width of the shoulders make his head look too small. The shoulders of my jacket are less padded, more sloped and natural looking, and not extended so far beyond my actual shoulders. They are well-proportioned with my face and body, making my head look neither tiny nor huge, and adding to an overall sense of fitness and sharpness.

Now, to close, I must add one huge disclaimer: I have done this solely for the purpose of illustrating these matters, and not at all in order to brag about myself or censure David. I would have been as happy to do this if the roles had been reversed and he had been wearing the well-fitted jacket. David is normally quite a stylish dresser, and indeed he gets a good deal of the credit for getting me interested in clothing and style a few years ago. He unfortunately was just at the mercy of a rented garment's ill fit--and that, perhaps is the moral of this story: if you can avoid it, never, never rent (or, for that matter, borrow) a suit or tuxedo. Learn what a good fit looks and feels like, buy quality clothes that fit you well, and have them altered by a competent tailor. You will feel like a million bucks, and it will be worth the expense.

Photos copyright 2006 John Gill Photography.

GOK

One Too Many
Well said - I agree with all the points you've made regarding those photos, which are lovely, BTW. Both ladies are beautiful! :D

I also agree that clothing that fits properly is infinitely preferable to pr?™t a porter or hired. I've always been of the opinion that one should have the best one can afford. Not everyone agrees though and some people actually don't know how a properly fitting suit (for example) should look. We're fortunate here in that we have such sartorial points of reference.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Orgetorix said:
obtained from the local Men's Wearhouse.

We rented the tuxes from MW for our wedding, and they were horribly made. One of the groomsmen actually had to stop in the middle of the photos and sew two of the buttons back on his vest.

theboys.jpg

I mentioned the buttons when we returned the suits, and was offered no apology for our inconvenience. Another reason to not rent, I guess.

Sunny

One Too Many
I may be way off base here, but... does David's last name begin with a 'C'? He looks more than a little familiar. Your locations is more or less right, too.

nulty

One of the Regulars
Not only do the items you've pointed out as comparison show
themselves well but what is most impressive is the way the clothes seem to convey the body language of the individual movement.

I see in Davids picture the cuff of the trouser flailing about and the pucker in the shoulders adding to that boxy look while in your picture the cuff is in line and I'm sure swaying back and forth with your gait. The shoulder of the coat blends in with the arm seamlessly. Your clothes "fit" in that shot and one sees you in totality rather than an image you might be trying to convey

In the context of the subject though, they are both great pictures....

Congratulations......!

Jovan

Suspended
You look excellent. This is definitely a good example of rented vs. bought, especially with regards to personalization. Your tie and especially that double breasted waistcoat are excellent touches. And though not as many people pay attention to trousers, yours look like they were made for you.

I think the worst offence of a rented morning coat I've ever seen was when the gentleman in question was wearing it at night.
Yeah.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, all, for your kind comments.

nulty said:
I see in Davids picture the cuff of the trouser flailing about and the pucker in the shoulders adding to that boxy look while in your picture the cuff is in line and I'm sure swaying back and forth with your gait. The shoulder of the coat blends in with the arm seamlessly. Your clothes "fit" in that shot and one sees you in totality rather than an image you might be trying to convey

A good part of this is probably due to the much heavier weight of my vintage suit's cloth, as compared to the lightweight modern stuff David's rented clothes are made of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner