Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 990's!

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Hello fellow Loungers!

Today I get to show off again, for my long awaited pair of Resistol 990's have come in the mail just a few days ago, and now I finally have time to make this thread. The auction was a bit iffy, with an off color blurry picture showing only part of the outside of the hats, (they did, look brownish and blackish green respectively in the photos) but the price was right, I picked them both up for only around 40 dollars or so.

This purchase was something of a milestone for me, because I had to handbash one of the hats, something I had never done before. Bashing was necessary because the brown one was in terrible shape when I had got it, it was stuffed inside of the black 990!

When I inspected the liners, I was very pleased, only the brown one showed any stains at all, but thanks to RBH and his naming of Naptha as the treatment I wanted, that won't be a problem. By comparison, the black one was crisp and flawless. Also, they were bought by the same fellow, at the same store! What are the odds of that? (Fairly high probably, but I like to think otherwise. :p)

Lining for the Brown 990: <br><br>

Lining for the Black 990: <br><br>

When I had handbashed the brown fedora, I wanted to give it a bit of it's own style to make it a bit more unique, so I opted for more of a diamond cut with side creases instead of the factory bash, thanks to Matt Deckard for the helpful pictures.

Here is a side by side shot of the two fedoras: <br><br>

Side shot of the one I bashed:<br><br>

Side shot of the one I didn't bash:<br><br>

I grew a bit interested in the history behind the hat, and I didn't find much besides the fact that there is a jet airplane called the Convair 990, perhaps it was made as a tribute to the aircraft?

The jets embossed in the lining resemble the Convair 990 which would lead some credence to my theory. The Convair 990 entered production in 1961, so it would rather put it in the proper time period for this hat. This is mostly speculation and deductive work, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

On the sweatband it says 'Kitten Finish' as well as 'Beaver XXX' both hats feature a Cavanagh edge and were purchased at Hughes Hatcher Suffrin in Detroit.

Some Measurements:

Brim Length: 1 and 1/2 inches

Ribbon Width: 2 inches

Crown Height: 5 inches

And then me, enjoying them:

No, really folks, I am smiling. :p

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Convair 990 was a strikingly beautiful airliner, a 4-engine jet somewhat smaller than the Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8 but faster.

Those hats are cool! One of the first hats I ever bid on on eBay was a perfect black 990, but the bidding went out of my range.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: The Convair 990 was so fast it has actually broken the sound barrier in a shallow dive! Absolutely nothing to do with the hat, but just thought I'd mention it. Great aircraft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred