Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 30's Half Belt HAs Arrived

kronos77

One of the Regulars
STLVghD.png
aMPEvof.png

My first brand new Aero is a 1930's Half Belt. My previous Aero jackets were second hand and heavily worn in so this is an experience. It took a while, an eternity, so it seemed, but it finally made it to my door last Monday.

Some may find it boring--it is black, all black. Black FQHH, black stitching, black moleskin lining, black drill in the sleeves. I just wanted a basic black leather, nothing fancy. As I am in the process of a complete upper body wardrobe rebuild, I wanted my first jacket plain and simple.

Since the sun went out after the first two pictures (it is gloomy here), I can't show all the details. The back is plain: Just a half belt, no yoke. I like the cleaner look, either a top yoke or a half belt but not both. One interior pocket, horizontal zip. The real issue was always fit and I think I got that. Some people might prefer different shoulder width, body length, sleeve length, etc, but for me it is perfect.

Nice of Aero to include a biography of the horse who donated his hide for my jacket. Nice to know about his happy life and I am sure the animal rights activist and horse lovers in my family will be glad to know the horse volunteered his hide to warm humanity. At least that's what i'll tell them.

As far as the fearsome FQHH goes, since my previous FQHH jackets were artificially broken in by their previous owners, I didn't know what to expect from from brand new, wild, bucking horsehide. Let me say, horse, I laugh at you! I was expecting maybe a year long battle to tame it, but i find it fairly comfortable after a few days and I expect in two weeks that it will be very comfortable. I even thought they gave me the mid weight by mistake. So don't be afraid of the heavy hide if that is what you want.

I need to say a word about Thurston Brothers and Carrie, who I dealt with. I couldn't have done it without them. They know the business and it is advisable to trust them. I had ideas about fit based on the fit jacket that differed from Carrie's. I trusted her and it paid off. If I went on my own judgement I would have been very unhappy or less happy.

Nobody is perfect and you shouldn't blindly and reflexively trust anyone. If you have concerns or questions, raise them. Send pictures, descriptions, whatever you have. But in the end, after considering the experts point of view, I suggest you give very heavy weight to the suggestions from Thurston Brothers.

The only regret I might have is not getting a tartan lining. I wanted something a bit warm so I went moleskin. I thought of having a tartan sewn over the moleskin, but the fabric I wanted was not cheap. I'll put the money toward my next jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Your latest acquisition is a fantastic, understated jacket after my own heart, and IMO you couldn't have done better by modifying your selection in any way. Living in Pennsylvania, the moleskin body shell lining and cotton drill sleeves is a perfect combination, both durable and highly functional. Appears to be a great fit too. Congratulations!

Perfect. And let me just say that a black leather jacket cannot be boring. Brown, sure, but black leather jacket - never. It looks ace and fits ace. Love this one!

As far as the fearsome FQHH goes, since my previous FQHH jackets were artificially broken in by their previous owners, I didn't know what to expect from from brand new, wild, bucking horsehide. Let me say, horse, I laugh at you! I was expecting maybe a year long battle to tame it, but i find it fairly comfortable after a few days and I expect in two weeks that it will be very comfortable. I even thought they gave me the mid weight by mistake. So don't be afraid of the heavy hide if that is what you want.

Exactly! Well said. It's not a light hide, not by any definition, but it's still not nearly as tough / stiff / relentless / whatever as the internet would make you think. It's a very lovely hide, comfortable, breaks in very fast and just the kind of perfect leather for a jacket you actually plan on wearing and using. Best part, it just keeps on getting nicer and nicer.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
STLVghD.png
aMPEvof.png

My first brand new Aero is a 1930's Half Belt. My previous Aero jackets were second hand and heavily worn in so this is an experience. It took a while, an eternity, so it seemed, but it finally made it to my door last Monday.

Some may find it boring--it is black, all black. Black FQHH, black stitching, black moleskin lining, black drill in the sleeves. I just wanted a basic black leather, nothing fancy. As I am in the process of a complete upper body wardrobe rebuild, I wanted my first jacket plain and simple.

Since the sun went out after the first two pictures (it is gloomy here), I can't show all the details. The back is plain: Just a half belt, no yoke. I like the cleaner look, either a top yoke or a half belt but not both. One interior pocket, horizontal zip. The real issue was always fit and I think I got that. Some people might prefer different shoulder width, body length, sleeve length, etc, but for me it is perfect.

Nice of Aero to include a biography of the horse who donated his hide for my jacket. Nice to know about his happy life and I am sure the animal rights activist and horse lovers in my family will be glad to know the horse volunteered his hide to warm humanity. At least that's what i'll tell them.

I need to say a word about Thurston Brothers and Carrie, who I dealt with. I couldn't have done it without them. They know the business and it is advisable to trust them. I had ideas about fit based on the fit jacket that differed from Carrie's. I trusted her and it paid off. If I went on my own judgement I would have been very unhappy or less happy.

Nobody is perfect and you shouldn't blindly and reflexively trust anyone. If you have concerns or questions, raise them. Send pictures, descriptions, whatever you have. But in the end, after considering the experts point of view, I suggest you give very heavy weight to the suggestions from Thurston Brothers.

The only regret I might have is not getting a tartan lining. I wanted something a bit warm so I went moleskin. I thought of having a tartan sewn over the moleskin, but the fabric I wanted was not cheap. I'll put the money toward my next jacket.

well done
all purpose, classic.
will be your "go to" jacket till your grave.
nothing beats "new" horsehide for the ultimate jacket
Congratulations!!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Excellent work Kronos! The understated, simple black on black on black is timelss and very hard to go wrong! Great yours is starting to break in well too!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great.

Its not "boring" its "classic" and is for a reason. It will stand the test of time. It looks great now and will still be current in another 30 years.

I went the same route with my Premier HB, "boring" black with black stitching although I went with a fancy back to spice it up a little but its just what it should be, the quintessential collared black leather jacket.

Enjoy :D

kyboots

Practically Family
STLVghD.png
aMPEvof.png

Nice Jacket. Perfect in fact from my standpoint!

Edward

Bartender
Very nicely done indeed. Would be nice to see a shot of the back. You'll find the moleskin very good for a warm lining - I've had it in a leather overcoat; also, My Bootlegger has moleskin lining in the sleeves, definitely much warmer than the drill.

Thnikkaman

New in Town
Looking good man!

Would you mind posting a picture of the back while you're wearing it? I like a neater, uncluttered look and I'm debating what I'm going to do on my custom premier HB, yoke or no yoke, pleats or no pleats.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Thanks for nice words.

Thnikkaman,

I will try to get a back picture up later. We have had the most gloomy weather here and the light is just terrible. When I get back I'll see what I can do. I think the back of my jacket is the same as forum member LaymanX who posted pictures just a short while ago. No pleats is a standard feature if you order from Thurston Brothers, I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider