Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new Aero a-2 pattern

majormajor

One Too Many
Very nice:D

aero38.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Looks really nice - it'll be interesting to see the response it gets from the hardcore A2 crowd, and the pricepoint at which they aim it.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Granted it is a very light color, and it is in Steerhide, so it may not classify as a "real" A2, But I do like it, very distinctive.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
It's my understanding that some contracts were made in light russet. Granted it ain't for everyone, it can look pretty damn slick

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
When they were churning them out at the rate that they were needed the idea that they were all exactly to spec and stich perfect is risible. They would have used what they could get their hands on. There was a war on after all and a lot more cattle were being slaughtered than horses.

majormajor

One Too Many
Dead right. I'm sure that when the shipment had to leave that day for Europe or the Pacific or wherever, and they were a few hundred jackets short in the factory, those last few jackets could well have had a few corners cut:D;)

Edward

Bartender
According to Gary Eastman's book, 93% of all A2 production could potentially have been steerhide.

Jinkies, as high as that.... and to think all these years steer has been looked down on as 'inferior'! lol

Be interesting to see over time how these new findings affect what is popular in the repro market.

Maybe snobs looked down on it. I've owned, worn and loved steer jackets since my 20's. Horse just became something new to me some years back and I love the look, smell, etc. Different hides all have ±'s. To limit oneself to just one type is dopey, IMHO.

Edward

Bartender
Maybe snobs looked down on it. I've owned, worn and loved steer jackets since my 20's. Horse just became something new to me some years back and I love the look, smell, etc. Different hides all have ±'s. To limit oneself to just one type is dopey, IMHO.

I agree entirely! I was thinking more in the A2 context, it's been looked down on for a long time as "incorrect". Some even have a marked preference or horse over goat because the horse was the original spec. That's all change now that we know steer is confirmed to have been used alongside horse or goat. (I just hope those flyboys knew what they were getting, or there'd have been trouble.... ;) ).

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As this is a test jacket I hope the production ones will have the correct nipple snaps and the appropriate larger Talon zipper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points