Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Cossack Halfbelt

Baggers

Practically Family
Here are some pictures of the new Cossack halfbelt jacket I just got from Aero Leather Clothing. I had it made from their medium weight smooth horsehide with a cotton twill lining and an inside pocket. I think it turned out quite nice, but I am debating whether I've got the side waist adjusters just a bit too snug! :)

Enjoy!

AeroCossack01.jpg

AeroCossack02.jpg

AeroCossack03.jpg

AeroCossack04.jpg

AeroCossack05.jpg

AeroCossack06.jpg

Pardon the lighting, but it was a bit late in the day when I did these. ;)

Cheers!

Harry Lime

Suspended
I think it looks great. You can always loosen the side adjusters; the coat will loosen up as you wear it as well. Wear it in a soaking rain once - won't hurt the leather and will help it shape to you and loosen the seams. Very nice jacket.

How does yours fit in the shoulders/arm holes/back? I have a number of Aeros. Some are perfect, some I don't feel had the pattern adjusted correctly in these areas. Some are kind of loose and sloppy in these areas (others perfect.) Just wonder how yours is.

Harry Lime

Baggers

Practically Family
Well, I think it fits great. I've also got an Aero Barnstormer, and I'll agree with you that they might not have all their patterns sorted out. The Barnstormer's armholes seem big to me and the entire coat is roomier throughout the body. But that may be intentional to allow layering, because when I wear it over a sweater, the shoulders seem to ride a bit higher and the armholes don't feel as large. The coat just seems to ride on my body a bit more naturally.

The Cossack is a much trimmer fit overall and the armholes are higher. There's sufficient room through the back and shoulders to allow me a fairly full range of movement. But the chest -- as seen in the pictures -- appears more fitted.

And both garments are size 42, go figure.

I've been wearing the Cossack off and on since I got it Tuesday, and the leather is breaking in quite well. This batch of hide seems a bit softer from the beginning than did the hide the Barnstormer's made from. As for getting it wet, that may take a while since we're going through a drought. But we might get some rain the latter half of next week, so wish me luck.

Oh, and I've already loosened those side adjusters. I feel better already!

Cheers!

Harry Lime

Suspended
I've got a couple of Barnstormers, they fit very well. I think the layering point is correct. I have a Bootlegger that I'm a bit unsatisfied with because of the huge armholes and hinky pattern and I had a Buffalo jacket I didn't like at all. I'm about 60/40 satisfied with Aero. When they're good they're great, when they're bad they're pretty mediocre. The zippers and fittings haven't been the best on any of them, unfortunately.

Quality-wise I actually have had better luck with Lost Worlds and I haven't had service problems, either. Some members here have, guess I'm lucky. I think LW patterns are better and the hardware is better, but everyone has a different opinion.

Your jacket looks great, enjoy.

Harry Lime

Barry

Practically Family
Do any of you have the Vesta De Rallye? I know it's not a 30s or 40s style but I like it. I'm hoping I can get it with a shearling lining.

I'm also thinking about the Cheyenne but I'm not sure. I've got a long time to decide.

Thanks,

Barry

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Baggers: Re: Cossack.....

Jacket looks great. Thanks for posting some details- I've been thinking of getting one but was a little disappointed in the fit of a 'Bootlegger' I got from Aero. really like the 'Cossack' on you- looks good!

Harry Lime

Suspended
Flitcraft said:
Jacket looks great. Thanks for posting some details- I've been thinking of getting one but was a little disappointed in the fit of a 'Bootlegger' I got from Aero. really like the 'Cossack' on you- looks good!

What didn't you like about your Bootlegger? I got one and feel the same way. The pattern is off. THey didn't adjust the armholes when they made the shoulders larger - it really has a batwing effect. Too bad, great looking jacket otherwise.

Harry Lime

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Shoulders and upper arms don't feel quite right- jacket rides up more than I anticipated.
Still love the style of it- I really like the diagonal zipper and the slanted slash breast pocket.
Still hoping I just need to be patient and let the leather break in more.
I hate to admit it because of the price point difference, but I won a Schott motorcycle jacket off Ebay that is styled very similarly, but the cut is much more comfortable, and without the 'batwing' effect.

Baggers

Practically Family
lenj said:
Jacket looks great - very nice look.

How many seasons will you be able to wear it?

lenj

Thanks. At a minimum, two. I might be pushing it to try for three, but it will depend on how soon it starts heating up around here and how much I travel to cooler climes. I purposely got the medium weight hide and a cotton twill lining so that I could stretch the wearing period as much as possible.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana