Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman arrived

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Sorry, no intention to offend, but I must decline your invitation. My reticence at putting photographs of my things or myself in a public domain exceeds even Mr. Past's. Perhaps it's an English thing...

HoosierDaddy said:
Hey H.Johnson
How about posting some pics of your Aeros!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
H.Johnson said:
I take the reverse view to that in your second sentence - if you put the jacket on and go out and do something physical in it, then you are out and enjoying it, rather than sitting at home.

I have found that four or five hours vigorous and varied activity with an axe, bill-hook and bowsaw makes even the heaviest, stiffest jacket very flexible and, as it involves a high number of repetitions of the normal range of body movement, will produce the sort of effect (e.g. curving in the outer sleeve, with stretch marks, compression marks in the inner elbows, stretching across the back, etc.) that is a result of actual prolonged wear. In other words, the jacket conforms to your body shape and the wear looks natural, rather than just being 'crumpling'. This is difficult to achieve if you are not wearing the jacket.

Heavy FQHH is certainly the best material to wear for woodland work in inclement weather, I have found, as modern waterproof jackets (e.g. Gore-tex) are too easily damaged and wool, though warm, isn't as water resistant.

I completely agree with these sentiments. I took my HWM hiking last Christmas and it was the most comfortable and possibly the most practical jacket in the group. A man stopped me atop the mountain and said to me that it was unusual to see a proper jacket and proper leather boots (Sanders) amongst all the Gore-tex.

For me it's the only way to go, and it's the same reason why the prospect of rain wouldn't stop me from wearing my finest Borsalino.

Anyway here's a picture.

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0591-1.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
If I may observe - this is exactly the reason that wearing a new jacket to undertake some vigorous physical activity works so well. The higher your body temperature (through exertion) and the more you 'work' the jacket (through repeated movement) the more quickly and effectively it will mold to your shape, in my experience. As a world-travelling Japanese collector once advised me, 'It will become your body's friend'. Putting the new jacket in a tumble drier may soften it through heat, but I respectfully suggest that it is becoming the drier's friend...

Will is right. Leather is susceptible to damage from extremes of cold as well as heat. I am an avid reader about late 19th-early 10th Century Polar exploration (particularly the books of Roland Huntford) and it is remarkable how many instances of leather items failing by becoming brittle in sub-zero temperatures. Heat (especially with humidity) is just as bad, causing 'breakdown' of the leather, as jungle fighters and explorers have often reported. Under these conditions, replenishing the oils or 'fats' is a must.

In a vintage chop in London there is (or was) a very nice early Aero custom bike jacket that has been ruined by putting it on radiator to dry. You can still see the impression of the flat surface in the area where the leather has broken down. A great pity - but they are still asking a lot of money for it!

At a tangent, my first motorcycle wear (1961) was a Black Prince suit in Ironhyde - that's two layers of PVC with canvas inside. As my mother hated the idea of me riding, I had to keep it in a shed outdoors, and in Winter it was so stiff that it would make Horween's FQHH look limp by comparison. On many a morning it hung on the back of the shed door like a piece of sculpture and I had to pour a kettle of hot water on it before I could open it up to put it on! Try telling that to the young people nowadays...

Cooperson said:
The fascinating thing for me, is that initial feeling of tightness seems to just fade away as my body heat warms the leather. It's amazing how the air temperature seems to affect the pliability of this heavy horsehide. In the mornings when I first pick my Highwayman up it feels stiff as a board, but within minutes of putting it on (for my morning bonding session :) ) the jacket seems to just drape around me, like a second skin. Come to think of it, Will at Aero did warn me NEVER to leave the jacket in the boot of my car in winter - apparently if the hide gets below freezing for a prolonged period, it can cause serious damage!

Cheers

H.Johnson

One Too Many
And the 'soft weather' helps the process, too. If you look at pre-WW2 pictures, you often see leather jackets worn for hiking and cycling.

Is that Wicklow, by the way?

Mr. 'H' said:
I completely agree with these sentiments. I took my HWM hiking last Christmas and it was the most comfortable and possibly the most practical jacket in the group. A man stopped me atop the mountain and said to me that it was unusual to see a proper jacket and proper leather boots (Sanders) amongst all the Gore-tex.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Yes, it's part of the trail - Glendalough Valley, with remains of an early Christian monastic settlement ruins.

By the lake, near the tower. I recognised the mist. A beautiful, spiritual place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn