Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman, fit advice needed...

JanW

New in Town
Hi All,

I received my custom Aero Highwayman from this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-thoughts-and-anything-to-look-out-for.88660/

Unfortunately, there was some mixup in the order. Aero has been very patient and helpful, and offered to take back the jacket. In the meantime, I thought it could be an opportunity to fine-tune the fit of the jacket:

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

At first I found it to be quite loose and baggy, but the cut has grown on me. An alternative I am considering is that the remake jacket could be the "Premier" highwayman instead, in order to have the higher cut armholes. On the other hand, the premier fit might not be able to accommodate layering of a sweater or vest underneath (the regular highwayman I found was quite generous). I have also decided against the shoulder gussets in the remake version. I think it could add a bit in length as well.

In any case, any advice on the fit of this jacket?

Thanks!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't think switching to a premier pattern would be enough. This looks one if not two sizes too large!
It's weird, because it appears far to long in the back, but short in the front...
Also far too long in the sleeves, but this might be because the shoulders are riding so low.

I would go down in size rather than switching to the Premier pattern.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Carlos. It just looks a size too large to me. The HWM is a tricky jacket to nail, but I don't think the answer is simply to have the same jacket made in the Premier fit.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks one size to big. The weight of the excess material at the back is pulling the jacket down. You may size down 1 size but not 2. Other solution is to go with a 1930 Half Belt style because this jackets are longer in the front then in the back. You don't need shoulder gussets. Or think about a Sheene (Cafe racer with Highwayman collar) but then you should add 1,5 inches to the side panels.
Just my 2 cents

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Jacket looks one size too big.

I would leave off shoulder gussets. I find them fairly unfunctional on my Teamster and the HWM looks cleaner without them.
What's more, jacket looks strangely short in the front?? Mine doesn't fit that way. Yours is crazy long in the back and very short in the front. Is this an asymmetrical pattern? I would want this to be 1" shorter in the back and 1" longer in the front.

Go two sizes down. Seriously. I've had one that fit just like that and going just one size down helped only marginally. I had to sell the jacket eventually. But I'm absolutely positive I would've been perfectly happy had I asked for a jacket that was two sizes smaller. If you get it in the right size, HWM will fit you perfectly while still allowing for layering without being too boxy. It's a really good jacket and I'm 100% with Carlos and Sloan on that you should stick with the regular HWM, rather than going Premier thinking it would somehow magically solve the fit issue.

This jacket is simply the wrong size for you. That's it.

Length is fine and make sure to ask for longer sleeves if you're gonna go with the smaller jacket.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
It's a size too large, but an awesome looking jacket. I would downsize about 1 size, and call it a day. Also, I'm not sure where you live, or what the climate is. I wear my leather year around, except for the hot summer. I have worn layers, hoodies etc., underneath, but can't recall the last time I wore it zipped. I think it should look and feel appropriate if you ever need to zip, but 99.9% of the time it will be open and casual. Congratulations on your choice. I'm sure you will sort it out soon, and have a keeper if not a favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harris HTM

One Too Many
What kind of leather is it? Looks amazing.
As for the fit, I go with the flow. One size down. Two sizes could become restrictive, especially around the chest

JanW

New in Town
Its tumbled cordovan FQHH CXL, and yes, it is amazing :) Aero really makes a quality product.

Really appreciating the advice, all. Am currently discussing the fit issues with Aero come time for the replacement jacket.

I'd go down one size in the premier fit, which I think is a nicer looking jacket, or as Monitor said two sizes in the standard fit.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I'd go down one size in the premier fit, which I think is a nicer looking jacket, or as Monitor said two sizes in the standard fit.

I would be cautious with this. Last year, when I visited Aero, I tried both normal Highwayman and the premier fit. I got the same (tight) fit with a size 36 normal one and size 40 premier. The normal one was tighter around the belly, the premier around the chest and shoulders, at least for me.
JanW, where do you live? Maybe there is a stockist close to you so you can try different sizes?

JanW

New in Town
I live in Indonesia, so definitely no stockist. I have to make do with sizing via pictures and email, I'm afraid.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Does this process not apply to those outside the US? Their website has costs associated for International orders.

The cost to receive a Thurston Bros. fit jacket is $30.00 for US Customers, $60.00 for Canadian Customers and $75.00 for all other International Customers.

I haven't tried it but I guess I'd be screwed with import duties. For my next aero I will arrange again a trip to Scotland, though due to my new car there is no budget for new jackets :(

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I haven't tried it but I guess I'd be screwed with import duties. For my next aero I will arrange again a trip to Scotland, though due to my new car there is no budget for new jackets :(

I hear 'ya. The kid just turned 15 and got his drivers permit. He starts Drivers Education next week and will be getting his license when he turns 16. With his drivers license, he'll then get my car as a hand-me-down and I'll be shopping for a new car. With the Langlitz that I just ordered, it will be my last for a very long while. Perhaps my next will be for my 50th in a few years. :D

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I hear 'ya. The kid just turned 15 and got his drivers permit. He starts Drivers Education next week and will be getting his license when he turns 16. With his drivers license, he'll then get my car as a hand-me-down and I'll be shopping for a new car. With the Langlitz that I just ordered, it will be my last for a very long while. Perhaps my next will be for my 50th in a few years. :D

Which Langlitz did you order? A Langlitz, a Thedi and an Aero cafe Racer are on my wish list.
Last year I allowed myself 3 aero's. I ordered the last one begin November. A week later my good old Volvo decided it was time to retire = new car for me = no new jackets for the coming 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points