Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Premium Slim Fit 1930's Half Belt

Cooperson

One Too Many
After a trip to the factory earlier this year, I just couldn’t get past the classic design of 1930’s half belt, so ordered a size 40” in tumbled brown. Unfortunately, things didn’t turn out as I expected (which I won’t go into here) so Ken and Denny suggested their new premium 1930’s pattern might be a more suitable option for me and to ensure the dark, even texture skins (that I really wanted) it was to be in the regular brown heavy front quarter horsehide.

I hadn’t seen this new pattern before, so I was ordering site unseen, but when it was described as similar to the original 1930’s pattern but with a larger vintage style collar, slimmed down arms and higher cut armholes, these all sounded good modifications.

Order
Premium 1930’s Slim Fit Half Belt
Regular brown CHRXL front quarter horse – dark skins
Lochcarron Minto check lining
Antique brass Talon zip
Back length 25 1/4”
Sleeve length 25 1/2”

The jacket arrived the other day and the back length actually measures closer to 25 ¾”. Whilst this isn’t a great difference, I’m now wondering if it’s just a tad long. Anyway here it is, all comments and opinions are very welcome.

Aero Premium 1930s halfbelt_front collar.jpg

Aero Premium 1930s halfbelt_back flat.JPG

Aero Premium 1930s halfbelt_front right.jpg

Aero Premium 1930s halfbelt_left side.jpg

Aero Premium 1930s halfbelt_arm pit.JPG

Aero Premium 1930s halfbelt_front left.jpg

IXL

One Too Many
Quit all that slouching and the back will lift right up! Only joking, I think the length is fine, and my preference is always that it is better to be slightly longer, than slightly too short.

wdw

One Too Many
Looks good. Nowt wrong with the length at all. It would be nice to see these on the website.

schitzo

Suspended
Coops how tall are you? I forgot

The optimal length for one of these is obviously a matter of personal preference, and as we know, mine tends to go against the grain, round here at least. In my case, and I'm just under 6,2, I wouldn't go longer than 25" for this style. Am sorry to say it mate, but if we're discussing optimals, and I assume we are, then I have to confess I think yours could be a tad long, perhaps an inch, perhaps a little less

Cooperson

One Too Many
Nice jacket, Coop. I haven't hear of this "premium" 1930s fit before. Any more info on it?

SJ

SJ - The first I knew about this new pattern was when Ken emailed me with the suggestion that I should try it. Don't know why they have called it Premium, but the differences are obviously the larger more pointed collar, slimmed down arms and high cut arm holes. The zip also stops part way down the front, which I assume it make it possible to sit down with jacket zipped up.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMHO the body length is pretty much optimal and could add or subtract 1/2" without a noticable difference one way or the other. After numerous jackets, I have concluded that the 30's style works best for me over all others.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Coops how tall are you? I forgot

The optimal length for one of these is obviously a matter of personal preference, and as we know, mine tends to go against the grain, round here at least. In my case, and I'm just under 6,2, I wouldn't go longer than 25" for this style. Am sorry to say it mate, but if we're discussing optimals, and I assume we are, then I have to confess I think yours could be a tad long, perhaps an inch, perhaps a little less

schitzo - Good to hear from you mate and thanks for the input. I'm 5'11" but have a long back, even the local cycle shop commented on it when I was fitted for a new mountain bike frame - typical Derbyshire man he said :)

As you say jacket length is a very personal thing and although I hate jackets halfway up my back, I was also thinking 1" off could make it period correct. I was wondering if Aero could lop an inch off, given the zip stops a way short of the bottom anyway, but then how would it look in relation to the half belt position? Would hate to spoil the thing! It's stunning hide by the way, my Highwayman is made from the same stuff but this is so dark and even throughout all the panels.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I gather it's hard to impossible for Aero to lop the length, given the pocket configuration. I'd give it a bit of a wear, see what you think in a few weeks and then consider sending back and asking for another.

Glad to hear someone else is into custom bikes, as well as custom jackets.

SJ

Cooperson

One Too Many
It has something of the longer cut of the long halfbelt, whereas the 30s HB is classically quite brief. SJ

SJ - I don't think it should be a longer style. The added length came about when I was at the factory getting fitted. Rachel was kind enough to find a used standard size 40" for me to try on, but to be honest the back looked ridiculously high, I seem to recall my belt was showing. Hence the 251/4" or 25 3/4" as it turns out.

Coop- that looks great!!!!!
I personally like my jackets sitting just above the back pocket, so for me yours fits great. I like that Aero is doing a different collar style.
Wear it well, Sir!

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
That is a really good looking jacket! I'm seriously jealous man.

It's funny, when ordering my 1930's half belt through insurrection I brought up wanting to raise the arm holes and slimming the sleeves a bit, but was basically told it was a bad idea and it would disrupt the design and all the work Aero put into getting the design right. I guess I should've pushed harder for it, because your jacket is boss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112