New Aero Sea Biscuit half-belt

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Sloan1874, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Don Tomaso

Don Tomaso A-List Customer

Love the jacket but the collar is way to 70th for me. :)

2. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

To me, so much the 1970s fashions were revivals of designs from the Golden Age, something that was influenced in part by cinema, with The Godfather, Bonny and Clyde etc. Of course, what were originally elegant and stylish concepts were bastardised into the sort of nightmarish denim safari suit that Lee Majors wore in The Six Million Dollar Man, and this taints for some a nice design. But I bet when we see somebody actually in one of these jackets, nicely worn-in, it'll look extremely cool.

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

Gorgeous jacket. I'd like to see it in person, that collar.....could look really nice on the goat Sunburst I'm planning...

Anyone know what the one Maguire wore is? Could have been vintage, I suppose, but looks too 'new' to be seventy plus years old (as is correct, given when it was set...). Nice to seen Aero adding another option to the line. Given how many people love the wardrobe from that film, I can see it being a good seller. If I didn't already have my brown 30s HB, I'd be tempted.

4. oneterrifichog

oneterrifichog Practically Family

Not me that's what caused Buzz to go over the cliff in "Rebel without a Cause". It's a similar sleeve as on the Route 66 Aero.

5. pawineguy

pawineguy One Too Many

My understanding is that Aero made the jacket for the movie, and I'm assuming it was a custom design at the time.

Edward likes this.
  6. It's my understanding that Aero has denied making the movie jacket for Sea Biscuit several times during past years.
    HD

7. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I think the problems of proper attribution is that, during his time at Aero, Will was keen on claiming ownership of apparently-orphaned film jackets. Most bizarrely, he told me they made the Red Tails A-2s despite Goodwear clearly advertising on their website that they had made them [huh].

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  8. pawineguy

pawineguy One Too Many

I guess we'll never know for sure unless they stake their claim to the jacket. Interestingly, even Thurston has posted pics of Tobey claiming it was an Aero jacket. (as have many others)

9. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

I won't live long enough to wear it long enough to get that going!

You didn't live in the 70's, because if you did, and you were in America, you'd want to see this one go away :p

10. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

I agree. You'd have to be cool enough to wear the jacket in an 'ironic' way.

11. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

And I am neither :rofl:

12. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I like the collar. It seems like it's an exxaggerated version of the Premier line collars.

13. Monitor

Monitor

It shouldn't be all that larger than, say, standard HWM collar. Just five more sewing holes. Yeah, I counted.

14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I don't think irony is necessary. I think if you suit something and it looks good, the rest is peripheral. If you get something that fits you and is really well-made, it transcends its roots.

15. cordwangler

cordwangler One of the Regulars

No surprise a 30s collar looks a bit 70s: check these FL threads on the 30s in the 70s...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?21948-1970s-the-copy-cat-decade

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?69866-The-thirties-in-the-seventies

It might be only within the past few years that the films and general culture has started to get period detailing right on the relatively recent past.

Strange that the horrors of recalling particular garment details lingers so long. Perhaps a vertiginous recall of previous lack of consciousness / style? The inoffensive square collars on a lot of current leather jackets are kind of, well, square. It's nice to see some shape and flair - and maybe even flare. :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  16. pauleway

pauleway Practically Family

Never liked the large collar look. That style collar is what we called the "Count Dracula" look!:D

17. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

That's only if it's got that TFL "popped collar" look ;)

18. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think it depends entirely on the way the collar is suited to the design. One of the first vintage styles I became interested in was the Admiral Byrd, one version of which has a collar very similar to the one posted at the beginning of this thread. It has that late '40's sort of appeal. Really stylish, imho.

19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I liked that collar when I first saw it, now you guys have given me a complex about it. :p

20. Monitor

Monitor

Ditto. Count Dracula comment completely ruined it for me... Can't unsee it anymore.