Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Zip Sleeve Highwayman, LOVE IT!!!

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Hi y'all, guess what: My Aero Zip Sleeve Highwayman arrived yesterday and I am LOVING it! This is my first Aero jacket, and I have read through many Aero threads which helped me decide on some of the details. I got the idea for the zip sleeve version from GriffDeLaGriff's jacket :) I especially like the clean-looking yoke across the chest

Here's what the order looked like:

Zip Sleeve Highwayman

Brown Heavy 4.5oz Steerhide

Size 38”

Tapered to size 36” at waist

Brown cord lined sleeves

Brown cord reinforcement at hem

No zips on pockets

Brown moleskin lining in pockets

Brass hardware

Cotton Tartan Royal Stewart Lining, Strome weight

+0.5" on collar (wink to GriffDeLaGriff here)

25.5” Back

26” Sleeve

The jacket comes in at 4.5kg (9.9 lbs), making it my heaviest jacket. The Lochcarron wool is itchier than I expected it to be, I expected something soft. But it's nice & thick and looks absolutely gorgeous.

Now, for the pics: (nobody was home to take my picture and the lighting is terrible, pics were take with phone camera)

image_zpsdeb9157f.jpeg

image3_zpsce3fd59a.jpeg

image6_zps3a8921d4.jpeg

image5_zps484a2092.jpeg

image2_zpsd005b68e.jpeg

image1_zps67368914.jpeg

image4_zpsbb8019fd.jpeg

image7_zps6a338dd2.jpeg

image8_zps31bd014f.jpeg

I tried to capture the depth of the brown leather, will upload some better pics when a friend of mine gets here this weekend!

This is my 9th jacket so far and I own a Vanson, a Langlitz and two Schotts but none of those leathers are as beautiful and smell as divine as the Horween CXL Steerhide on my HWM... Already my favorite jacket, by far. Breaking in this bad boy sure is gonna be tough!

Will put up some measurements in the coming days

Last edited:
Looks great! Nice touch with the tapering.
The smell/ feel of an Aero jacket can be quite addictive.
Be careful or you might end up ordering another one in a couple years. ;-)

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Thanks for all the compliments, gents!

@handymike I'm already planning on ordering a 38-1711-p on the pattern of the Bronco in brown FQHH this october...

Edward

Bartender
Stunning looking jacket, enjoy. Looks like you got the fit bang on. Is the front yoke and absence of chest pocket standard design for the zip-sleeve Highwayman?

Plumbline

One Too Many
Gotta love the Horween steerhide ........ I still think it shades the horse especially in break in and developed "character"!

Great jacket ... very nice indeed and great fit ... wear it hard and wear it well :D

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Best looking Highwayman I have seen.

I was unaware of the option to reduce waist size instead of just sizing down. I think it makes the jacket look comfortable in the upper body and close fitting without being overbearing, at least from the photos.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Best looking Highwayman I have seen.

I was unaware of the option to reduce waist size instead of just sizing down. I think it makes the jacket look comfortable in the upper body and close fitting without being overbearing, at least from the photos.

Thank you!

If you have about a 7-12" drop from chest to waist, I would definitely recommend tapering the jacket 1 size. Makes the jacket fit a bit closer at the waist without sacrificing the classic, boxy Highwayman look. However, the side straps were fully tightened in the fit pic and the jacket was just out of the box. The leather has relaxed a tiny bit now, and I find that untightening the side straps a bit makes for a more comfortable fit, and tightening them all the way makes the leather bunch up at the sides. It's still a good ol' boxy Highwayman, if you want a "slim fit Highwayman", you should look into an Aero Sheene (cafe racer with HWM collar, a style Thurston Bros. came up with).

In retrospect, I think I would've liked another 0.5" length in the body and sleeves.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
In retrospect, I think I would've liked another 0.5" length in the body and sleeves.

It looks great on you, but I don't think you need any more length. Your sleeves are long and will shorten, and the front's normally higher than the back, but this still looks a good length. It's meant to be a short cut anyway.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
It looks great on you, but I don't think you need any more length. Your sleeves are long and will shorten, and the front's normally higher than the back, but this still looks a good length. It's meant to be a short cut anyway.

Cheers, can't wait to see how it breaks in. I know, the length looks spot-on in the pic. It's just that it feels short in the front when I wear it, but if I wanted something longer I should've gotten a Half Belt. I'm used to MC jackets with either shoulder gussets or a bi-swing back, so the sleeves tend to feel short & restrictive when I lift my arms. But indeed, they look fine and will shorten a bit over time.

Just wow. Fantastic looking jacket. I wish my HWM would fit me this well... Never realized the zip-sleeve HWM has a front yoke, but it's the first thing that caught my eye on your jacket. Cool stuff. Great idea for the cord lined sleeves that I am totally stealing.

How so you went with the steer instead of horse?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Just wow. Fantastic looking jacket. I wish my HWM would fit me this well... Never realized the zip-sleeve HWM has a front yoke, but it's the first thing that caught my eye on your jacket. Cool stuff. Great idea for the cord lined sleeves that I am totally stealing.

How so you went with the steer instead of horse?

Thanks for the kind words, monitor! The cord lined sleeves feel awesome, very rich and thick. As for the steer; the heavier the better for me (to some extent, I think... I doubt I can ever find a 13 pound jacket). I was desperately trying to outweigh my Langlitz and this did the trick. I will go for FQHH for my A2, which I am already super-anxious for.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Great looking HWM which appears ideal as a foul weather jacket. I have always been intrigued by sleeves lined with either corduroy or moleskin but concerned that either might be too heavy for Texas. I know the strome lining would be.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Thanks, Fanch. Wears great in heavy rain! Only had it for an hour when it came pouring down. I had a place to be, so I figured: why not? The cord lining feels great and luxurious, but is very heavy compared to cotton drill. The strome lining definitely feels thicker than the reiver weight, but if you can wear reiver you can probably go strome... It's not that warm, I wore it today in 25 degrees celsius and it was doable. Holly said it's not nearly as warm as tweed or alpaca wool lining. I doubt it's that much warmer than cotton drill, of course a little bit (it is wool, after all) but not a night/day difference. I mainly went with strome for the added durability and weight (the heavier the better :D )

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great, I think tapering the waist is a great idea for us slim guys. My standard fit version was just too boxy around the mid section especially for a shortish fitting jacket and I sold it on, this definitely looks like a keeper!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Great looking jacket, beautiful thick hide and an excellent fit! I would be interested in your opinion of the the corduroy lining in the sleeves after you've worn it for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana