Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New black leather uniform jackets for SWO Navy officers

thor

One Too Many
6FC672DE-3CB0-4726-AD08-79AE616BFC80.jpeg

Deacon211

One Too Many
I like it!

I know some of the SWOs(and certainly many grunts I knew) had a hate on for the G-1 since they had nothing comparable.

In the Marines, you could wear your meh tan uniform jacket or your wool sweater with civilian gear, but pilots were precluded from wearing their G-1s out in town.

This jacket looks good IMO. And a little panache item is good for morale and might even become a tradition...as long as the Navy doesn’t change the uniform again.

I agree Brown looks more appropriate, but I guess it’s meant to go with the newer black (is it still Navy Blue?) uniforms.

EDIT: Interesting. I just looked at the pics again and see that he is wearing them over his khakis.

Does a black jacket wear better with a khaki uniform than a brown jacket with a black/navy one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
I’m thinking the black color in some small way relates to being a “black shoe” (surface warfare officer) as opposed to the “brown shoe” aviation community.
And a very common outerwear garment worn with khakis has been the black cotton “Eisenhower” jacket. So perhaps the Uniform Board figured it’s a morphing of a black leather G-1 (no fur collar) and the black cotton Ike jacket.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
"Commanding officers will decide whether the coat will be allowed during General Quarters, when crew members are to man their battle stations, or damage-control evaluations, the message adds."

You may be sure the commanding officer will be wearing his or hers all the time.

Peacoat

Bartender
A little late to the party, but I like it. I would like it better if the Army had one, but as backwards as the Army is in uniforms, it will never have one.

I wonder if this jacket will be authorized for wear off base, or if it will be limited to wear aboard ship, or perhaps on base only. Back when I was in, we could only wear our flight suits and flight jackets on base, or between base and our quarters. I think the Officers' Club was off limits as well, except maybe before 6:00 pm, or maybe only at the club's annex. Stopping to get gas while so attired was not allowed. It was considered a work uniform, such as fatigues (and dungarees) and as such, we should not be seen by civilians wearing it. I doubt the Navy, although more intelligent in many ways, is any looser in its uniform regulations.

Cornelius

Practically Family
Interesting way to address those crazy collisions from a couple years back. Black jacket above (light) khaki trousers is pretty terrible look, imho. Could've at least opted for something like a Seal Brown?...

robrinay

One Too Many
A friend has one of these - he’s not RAF so I’ll ask him his source. I also recently saw a nearly new one in a vintage clothing shop - I was tempted as it was heavy and well made but it’s blousy fit put me off.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A friend has one of these - he’s not RAF so I’ll ask him his source. I also recently saw a nearly new one in a vintage clothing shop - I was tempted as it was heavy and well made but it’s blousy fit put me off.

Interesting. It looks like a nice trim fit from Thor's first photo above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ