Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Buckaroo hat, what band??

jhl1963

Familiar Face
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428799334.121272.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428799367.600901.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428799380.551031.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428799397.622061.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428799452.744015.jpg

Hi friends, Mike's been working on a new camel 100x hat for me ("rancher" style from an old Stetson catalog and it came out so nice, I can't decide on a band (and am driving Mike nuts lol)! He's putting together a few more options for me. Mike's been fantastic to work with, a real craftsman and a gentlemen.

Wondering what everybody thinks.

Thanks ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428799904.837242.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428799944.338806.jpg

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
I have the same trouble when I visit there. The turquoise, horsehair, and tooled leather all look good. The horsehair is a darned good match to the color of the hat. The turquoise in a wide-band seems to go better with the bound edge, so I would go with that. If there were no binding on the brim edge, the horsehair would be my choice.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The crown seems to be really tall so something wide.
I don't see a good match with that turquoise with the hat color nor the bound edge, maybe something similar with warmer colors.
The tooled leather seems nice but I would go with another one wider.
I think the horsehair needs more dark colors than clear on that hat. That hatband looks more proper for a silverbelly hat.

More indecisions. ;)

jhl1963

Familiar Face
Thanks fellas - hah, I thought the turquoise was perfect but my wife wasn't feeling it. Incidentally its hand painted, really beautiful. Mike is sending me a sample with some earth tones as well.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I don't think the 3 additional choices bring any real change to your dilemma. I believe a blue, and particularly the turquoise, (separate colors) go nice with that color felt. So does the horsehair that was originally paired with it. If you go with a thin ribbon, and it matches the color of the brim binding, then I don't think any of the other options are viable, because the ends of the dark thin ribbon splaying out from under any of the other bands would not look good. Wow, would it be nice to have a band like the turquoise (painted band) - but in the same color as the brim binding (instead of turquoise)?

The turquoise painted band is somewhat controversial in that some like it and some don't. I don't like the red/gold band at all (on that hat). The horsehair or a tooled leather are less controversial and also look good on the hat, so those are definitely safer choices.

RJR

Say what you like,you're now REALLY plagued by overchoice.I would probably buy 3-4 of the choices and swap them out as my mood changed :D.

barrowjh

One Too Many
RJR has a good point, similar to having a selection of pugs with which to chage the 'color' of a panama, one of my favorite things to do. I will also use different solid color pugs to dress a white western to 'fit' with team colors to attend an outdoor event. If you can switch some of those bands around competently, buy 'em, do it.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My 2cents. If you only had to get 2. GET TWO! The turquoise AND braided horsehair. BOTH beautiful. BOTH distinctly different. GET EM BOTH!

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I agree with the opinions that on a beautiful, tall hat like yours a wider band seems to go better. Tall crown just strikes me as a bigger canvas for a band that's got some size and swagger to it. A narrow band or ribbon just seems to get lost against that expanse of fur-felt!

I kinda liked the turquoise band. Or maybe a wide horsehair but with some more color and contrast to it than the one shown.

As others have suggested, when in doubt why not get two (or more)? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points