Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New custom cowboy boots

SGB

One of the Regulars
When it rains it pours.
I just had my second fitting for a pair of custom Stewart boots, so they are now real close to being finished. These were ordered 7 months ago, which is really fast for a custom boot.
I also just got a call that my other pair of custom boots by Bill Shanor are done and shipping, these were ordered 1 3/4 years ago, normal turnaround for a single bootmaker.
So now I have 2 pair of new boots to play with, and I had to pay for both this week (less deposit from when ordered).
Both pair are copies of vintage 1940's boots. The Stewart's are a copy of a pair they made in the 40's when they were Stewart Romero boot company. They had one boot sitting on the owners desk and when I saw it I said I want that exact boot. It's nougat brown kangaroo with dark brown kangaroo tops with an Indian head with full headress inlayed in the tops. The toes are 40's square toe with old style stitch medallon. There is great stitch work on the feathers and neat arrows on the trim. They even had some old Stewart Romero pull strap material for me. The tops are not quite pee wee, just a little taller. They look fabulous.
The Shanors are a copy of an old custom made pair of Olsen Seltzer 40's boots, as seen on page 136 in "The Cowboy Boot" by Tyler Beard. These have the square toe but I had them made with brown full quill ostrich instead of kangaroo. The tops have my brand in front and a longhorn on the side (which we raised on the ranch in CA), but are otherwise the same as the originals. I haven't seen these yet, but I trust Bill to make a great boot, as good or better than the last pair he made for me.
The neat thing about both pair is that they are as close to an original 1940's boot as I can get, made for my feet and with great workmanship. They will last me a lifetime.
I'm like a kid at Christmas. :)

SGB

Jay

Practically Family
Can't wait to see 'em! I just got a pair of cowboy boots recently. Needless to say, I love them.

Speedster

Practically Family
Sounds great

Let's see som photos when you get the boots. Would love to some day have a pair of custom made western boots made but till then i'm settling for my Justin boots (2 pairs).

SGB

One of the Regulars
Repro Guy said:
wow... How come it takes nearly 2 years if you dont mind me asking? !!

Bill Shanor is a solo boot maker, it's just him, no hired workers etc. He's also real good and so real busy. My first pair from him took almost 2 years as well, but were worth the wait. He told me he's trying to cut back on his backlog orders by not doing anymore shows, but he still has the next 2 years booked.
I'm considering ordering another pair of Stewart's when I pick up my current ones, just have to decide on what I want. I'm thinking black ostrich, but not sure about the tops. They have a ton of old stitch pattern stencils dating back 70 years, I went through 2 boxes of them yesterday and will look at more before I decide on my tops. A lot of them have the customers name and the date on them, really neat historical stuff.

SGB

I am soooo jealous. I'm going to get a pair of customs one of these days.

I actually love my Justin Ropers. Once I found the right size, 11 1/2 EW (I wear a 12 shoe) I've never had a poor-fitting pair. I guess I've got a pretty generic foot. I wear them with Wranglers and Dockers too. I do own a pair of Tony Lama TLX in chocolate bullhide for use around the stable.

Can't wait for the pictures.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
TTIUWP

There's a stock phrase on another forum I visit: "This thread is useless without pictures", commonly abbreviated TTIUWP.

And that's the case. TTIUWP.

Can't wait to see photos of the originals, or of the finished boots!

SGB

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
There's a stock phrase on another forum I visit: "This thread is useless without pictures", commonly abbreviated TTIUWP.

And that's the case. TTIUWP.

Can't wait to see photos of the originals, or of the finished boots!

Unfortunately I don't have an account with Photobucket or anyone like that, so I can't post pics. Perhaps someone will post them if I email them to them, after I get the boots and take some shots.

SGB

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
SGB said:
Unfortunately I don't have an account with Photobucket or anyone like that, so I can't post pics.

SBC,Why not just open an account, it's easy and FREE.;)

SGB

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
SBC,Why not just open an account, it's easy and FREE.;)

Lazy, and it's just another thing I have to deal with that might or might not be worth it. I need a website too, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm loathe to open more new accounts when I should be painting instead.
When I get the boots and some pics I'll see about opening an account or just let someone else post the pics.

SGB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto