Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Fedora + Light Rain = Bumps - What to do?

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle said:
Might not another walk in the rain, long enough to evenly dampen the entire hat, even out the first shower's rain bumps?

I had a hat "bump" like this once in a light rain. I think it's because it was made of cheap wool felt, which was shrinking on contact with the rain but only in the small spots where it got wet. A thorough even soak in rain will just make the whole hat shrink down a few sizes, which would be bad. I suspect something similar is going on here.

On a side note, I avoid wool felt hats now. lol

carldelo

One Too Many
Progress?

Just reading through this thread and am curious what was the result - has a replacement been received? I am interested in the Hampton, and am curious what it was like before it became bumpy. How was texture of the felt, fit and finish, etc. I don't buy into the oft-repeated statement that 95% of modern Stetsons are crap - I have 5 and they're fine.

ryang

New in Town
Carldelo - the guy at the hat shop wanted me to send him the the Hampton, which I did. I later called him and he said he'd replace it. I just went to the shop this week and he replaced it with a Stetson Chatham. I wasn't expecting this but I am good with it. I think the Chatham suits me better than the Hampton. The Hampton seemed a bit more dressy. I really liked it but the one I purchased was the only one he had in my size.

It really was a gorgeous fedora. A bit shinier than the Chatham with a nice bound edge. I haven't yet gotten my new Stetson wet, but am not anticipating any problems. We'll see. I can't imagine that 95% of modern Stetsons are crap either - at least I hope not. How about you - how have your Stetsons held up to wet weather?

carldelo

One Too Many
ryang said:
Carldelo - the guy at the hat shop wanted me to send him the the Hampton, which I did. I later called him and he said he'd replace it. I just went to the shop this week and he replaced it with a Stetson Chatham. I wasn't expecting this but I am good with it. I think the Chatham suits me better than the Hampton. The Hampton seemed a bit more dressy. I really liked it but the one I purchased was the only one he had in my size.

It really was a gorgeous fedora. A bit shinier than the Chatham with a nice bound edge. I haven't yet gotten my new Stetson wet, but am not anticipating any problems. We'll see. I can't imagine that 95% of modern Stetsons are crap either - at least I hope not. How about you - how have your Stetsons held up to wet weather?

I believe the Hampton is discontinued, so it's not surprising he exchanged for a Chatham. I have one in sage about 3 years old and two Ashlands, 1 and 2 years old - these are the same shape in Royal quality (1 below Sovereign) and have underwelt brims. I am pretty careless with them, they see a lot of use and do get rained on, and all are in good shape. I haven't had any powder problems as mentioned by others on the lounge, nor the spotting problem you had.

The one issue I've had is the brim of the Chatham, being unbound, will occasionally ripple after getting wet if you don't keep an eye on it. When it gets wet, be sure to shape the brim how you want it before it dries. It first happened to me when I put it on the hat rest wet and didn't notice I had squeezed it between a box and another hat and made the brim turn up on the sides. Wetting the brim and reshaping it took care of the problem. I should really be more careful, but the truth is I prefer bound or welted brims, so I will have the brim bound at some point and maintain my careless ways. The underwelt Ashlands have not had this problem.

The Hampton sounds dressy, which is what I had in mind. I'm a little worried it is so shiny as to be silly looking. What do you think - would a dark gray Hampton be appropriately dressy for a night out in Manhattan, or look too costumey?

ryang

New in Town
I don't think it is "costumey" at all. It's a great looking hat and not really all that shiny. I think it would look great out on the town - go for it! Definitely a classy hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy