Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Hat....

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can wear 6 7/8?!?! You should be able to have your pick of vintage! Looks like you've made a great choice there! Excellent looking hat.

dean

Jerekson

One Too Many
deanglen said:
You can wear 6 7/8?!?! You should be able to have your pick of vintage! Looks like you've made a great choice there! Excellent looking hat.

dean

Maybe he's doing what I did. If he's on the smaller end of the spectrum (I'm a size 7) then a 6 7/8 can easily be stretched to fit, as evidenced by my Royal Stetson posted a while back.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Looks outstanding, and the price can't be beat....Looking forward to seeing some pics of you wearing it after it arrives.....Congrats!!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Kentucky Blues, You did great! I was the one who sent the question about looking under the sweatband. I wear a 7 1/8. Glad to know we're not bidding against each other. Enjoy it and show us some pics.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Yeah, I'm still looking for mine.

I've got an OR clone Marathon, though. That should keep me quiet for a while :rolleyes:

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Okay, questions must be answered.... Yes, I am a 6 7/8. And there is a 6 7/8 open road on ebay I'm not going to link to yet, but I don't know if I'll be able to purchase it. and I do sort of have my pick now of hats, but in the past, there was another member of this forum who kept getting them all before I could. I went up against him once, and didn't come close, thus learned my lesson, lol. And I will definately post pictures when it comes, which should be relatively soon considering how fast I sent payment and the priority shipping :D

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
ARRIVED!!

My new hat has arrived. I've not yet taken pictures, but its a darn nice hat. Has a velvety finish, and looks mostly unworn. There's a center dent, but nothing else. Unfortunately, it feels kind of wide (but not as bad as my wide oval Whippet) Perhaps I'm a long oval...[huh] And the hat kinda looks bad on me, which I think is a result... But I still love this hat, and as soon as I can find something to wear it with (and the weather drops before a 100+ heat index) I'll start wearing it, to see if it's really a keeper. Perhaps it's the bound edge keeping it from conforming to my head or something, because I have some other not long oval hat's that fit pretty well. I dunno. But I'll post pictures later today :D

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Well the problem feels like its too tight in the front and back, and too loose in the sides. I figure if I get it resized, I'll probably get it done by optimo, or get a stretcher and try it myself. I'm just worried that it won't fix how it looks on me. I'll definately have pictures up by tonight to show you what I mean. I'm still wondering if perhaps the bound edge is part of the problem, it does feel that if it were a different shaped oval, it would fit perfect, and I know that a bound edge helps retain shape. We'll just have to see. I'm kinda scared about shaping it too, because this is the first hat I've had with nothing more than a center dent in it. It's never been pinched:eek:

And Carter, that's a fine hat at a good deal as well ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
If you've got the courage, you can always soak it in cold water, then let the excess drain off. Shape it how you want it, and put it on your head (at least off and on, for about 20 minutes at a time) until it dries. Whatever shape it dries in, it will hold! (I've done about 60 hats this way, with excellent results.)

carter

I'll Lock Up
KB, The David Morgan website has a page on bashing an Akubra that may help qualm your concerns. There is at least one thread on the FL with good photos of different bashes. Carter :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana