Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here, and a thank you!

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Hello everyone! I've been a closet fedora fan for a while, but just recently stumbled upon the forums here. I bought my first hat, a black Stetson Pony Express, on a trip to Tombstone about twelve years ago. Its fairly western looking, and as I passed through my western phase, I quit wearing it. Yet I'd always look at it fondly whenever I saw it in the closet, wishing it was more like a regular fedora. I also have a leather Indy hat I got a Disneyland thats too small, and an oilskin made by Pendleton that has been my main hat for the last year.

Well, after lurking around here, I got the courage to rebash the Stetson. My wife was a little worried that I'd mess it up, and that I should have it done professionally (which was strange; she's a consumate do-it-yourself'er), but I went ahead anyway. I put a tight pinch in the front, deepened the side dents and lengthend them, then changed the teardrop into more of a triangle by flattening the back of the teardrop and tightly creased the rear corners. the only thing I can't quite get right is the rear of the brim. Its too floppy to take a good upturn, so I settled with lightly curling the rear-sides to give it a pseudo-upturned look from the side.

Overall, I'm verry happy with the rebash. I wore it out for the first time to Disneyland last night, instead of my oilskin Indie-style. Man, it felt great to wear that hat again! I'll get my wife to take some new pics of my hats soon, I'm really proud of the rebash and want to show it off here. Thanks for giving me the courage and confidence to actually do it!

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Well, I haven't worn my Stetson on any rides yet, but for my oilskin, I just jam it into the mesh bag on the seat in front of me. Last night we just went for dinner and desert (annual passes rock!). On other rides, I've just pushed the lap bar or shoulder bars down over the brim, and keep a hand on the crown just in case. I'm not sure what I'll do with a nicer hat though, I'll probably just hold on to it tightly and cross my fingers!

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I'll have to dig around on the 'puter, I'm sure my wife has some shots of me in it from back when. I'm at work right now, but I'll check this evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch