Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here but not to hats: Cap info requested

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Biltmore, I didn't know the snaps were not standard. I do, however have a vintage cap with a snap, but I guess it must've depended on the cap. I was wearing mine around last night and it drapes nicely. I'm liking it without the snap. The more you wear it and roll it around in your hands, the better it drapes. I love this cap!

And Ghosty, care for these caps is easy. It comes with a basic care sheet which says that you can wash them by hand in COLD water and let them line dry. They do not recommend using warm or hot water for obvious reasons of shrinkage. You can also dry clean them, if you wish. I also wear my caps in the rain all the time, so why not get them a little wet? You could scotch guard them, I suppose, but you don't have taper issues with a cap as you do with a fedora. ;) Besides, I think that Hat People even said something about wearing them in the rain is okay...

bink

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Got mine today, perfect fit. Nice color and material. I should have gotten the extra full cut. Not a problem though. I soaked and shaped it while wearing it, it's linen, so it shaped up nicely. The lack of snap was no problem. I'm happy with it. I think I'll be wearing it most of the summer months. Yee Haa!!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thanks bink. I bought a cap while at Swaine Adeney Brigg when I was looking at Herbert Johnson hats. I tried on a few hats, but found I could get more for my money, considering how horrible the exchange rate from US to Pounds was. So I picked up a poorboy cap, instead, but I just wore it out of the shop and didn't get any care sheet.
ray

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Ray, if you're wondering about cleaning the cap you already have, I'd make sure you find out about cleaning it from the place you bought it. I'm almost sure you could get it dry cleaned. I'm going off of what Hat People said for the care of MY cap. It has a cotton lining, instead of silk (like an old cap I have) so I'm sure I could wash it by hand myself. But I dodn't want to speak for the care of any other cap than this one, especially since I don't know if it needs any other special care to it.

And BB, I'm glad you like your cap. I'm liking the cut of mine. I got the full cut.

bink

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
It seemed a little smallish when I first tried it on (referring to the cut not the actual size). But it shaped nicely after a soaking and overnight drip dry. Very light linen material and will do nicely in the heat I think. It reminds me of the cap George Clooney as Everet wore in O Brother Where Art Thou. As a matter of fact, I have my overalls and my new cap right now, Yee Haa!

I'm going to have Brett at B! Wear make two med weight wool newsies for me, for the fall and winter.

guitone

Familiar Face
I just send some fabric out to Brett for 2 caps on Wed...well, I got an email that they are already on their way to me...that is fast.....I had a lot of fun picking up fabric...there was one swatch I left, it was my favorite but I think it was to thin....these should be great fun, I have really enjoyed wearing a cap lately....

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I've enjoyed wearing my cap, too. It had been a while since I'd worn a newsie around. It's a great hat when you're out and about the town, but need a hat that can roll up and fit into a large pocket if needed. I usually hate taking a fedora to the movies since they don't store easily when you're trying to hold popcorn and your wife's hand at the same time.) ;)

bink

guitone

Familiar Face
The storing is one problem I have with my fedora style hats....a cap is easy to take with you, and putting in a pocket will not ruin the brim....I was happy to find this site and some option for different type of hats...to bad you guys got me on this indy jacket thing now....

guitone said:
The storing is one problem I have with my fedora style hats....a cap is easy to take with you, and putting in a pocket will not ruin the brim....I was happy to find this site and some option for different type of hats...to bad you guys got me on this indy jacket thing now....

Well, let's see, there is always this fedora:

LeeBonVoyage.jpg

Good luck finding one with the travel tube though. I have one that people hate to see me roll like that though no tube to put it in.

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
4-15-05 New Class Taught by Mr. Class

jamespowers said:
Ok, hat boxes are good too. :p I understand that they can get quite bulky though. I can always teach you how to roll your Optimo Sharpe. :p

Regards to all,

J

JP"s .
Optimo Class will begin 4-15-05 Sign up with Panamabob. Fee is $105.99. He takes.
Visa, Mc. and Paypal. 4 hour class. No test given. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou