New "How to make a bow" TUTORIAL by FORTINO37

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Fortino37, Apr 15, 2011.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, at that part of the video when Art requested they turn off the camera I started cursing at the screen!!! I spoke to Rick and he said...'trial and error'... damn it!

2. RAH

RAH New in Town

Do you still have this pdf tutorial? Your link above doesn't work any longer.

3. ChicagoWayVito

ChicagoWayVito Practically Family

You are very close, not so much the contrasting colors as that was already copied by many but had to do with how he made a particular keeper. He showed me in 2017 and then told me that he better not see it on any of my hats :) and I have honored that. I could probably ask him about it now that he has retired. I kept the bow and the keeper in case I wanted to redo it. It comes down to a specific fold as you assemble the keeper.

:) I think we all cursed a little. I agree with the trial and error. I once thought that every bow I made regardless of the bow design needed to be two pieces (the bow with hatband and then the keeper). Once I liberated myself and said to hell with that, I can do this in 3 pieces instead I got better results in the styles of bows. For a classic bow, by all means two pieces work just fine.

jlee562 likes this.
  4. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

Someone out there did film a hatmaker creating a 2 piece grosgrain ribbon hatband (either Instagram or FB). I tried to find it, but for the life of me I can't locate it. If any of you guys come across it. Put the link up on this thread please. Right now, I do all of mine in three piece.

5. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

I followed this one from Tim/Purebeaver and it was very helpful:
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CA-aj_-gaBX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

6. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

Thanks jlee! The one I saw was a red hatband (I think) and it was a two piece. That said, the one Tim did IS great!!!

belfastboy likes this.