Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jacket: Simmons Bilt Detroit

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
SB Detroit Model, sans zippered chest pocket
Leather: Horsehide by Clayton of Chesterfield, Black
Lining: Black Military Viscose
Zipper: 8# RiRi

Once upon a time I owned a double-rider but did not appreciate the belt, the epaulets and the jangling chains. So I got rid of it quickly and decided I wanted something stripped down, simple yet robust. This is what I decided on.

The leather has a very nice hand and a few degrees of temperature, up or down, make a big difference in stiffness. It is early days, though, and I've only just begun the break-in process, which will consist of wearing the thing a lot.

Enjoy the pics. I will see if I can add some outside sunlight pics soon.
View media item 1255View media item 1256View media item 1257View media item 1258View media item 1259View media item 1260

Mark

Practically Family
Very nice indeed. Is it veg tanned or Chrom? I have an SB coming soon in their Ranger.
( Interesting to note; so many views so few comments, should of said it was an Aero!!;))

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
Very nice indeed. Is it veg tanned or Chrom? I have an SB coming soon in their Ranger.
( Interesting to note; so many views so few comments, should of said it was an Aero!!;))

It is veg tan and feels very nice. Smells quite nice too. What model did you get?

On the views versus comments: maybe I will get an aero next time ;)

Looks fantastic man. The hide is really nice too. Did they throw a little kevlar at the hem? Congratulations on a fine acquisition! The best part of this pattern is its versatility. Can be worn almost anywhere, with anything and it doesn't scream biker jacket. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
Looks fantastic man. The hide is really nice too. Did they throw a little kevlar at the hem? Congratulations on a fine acquisition! The best part of this pattern is its versatility. Can be worn almost anywhere, with anything and it doesn't scream biker jacket. Enjoy it!

There was a Kevlar strip at the bottom! That's a great touch.

I am enjoying the jacket. My only gripe, if you could call it that, is that the arm holes could be a tad higher. Not that they are low, but my arms are relatively skinny and my shoulders are not girthy with muscle (yet, haha) so even these feel just a bit low. Perhaps I should have asked for that mod. Regardless, it feels good and I can fit a heavy pullover/sweater under it if i feel I need one.

I agree with you about the versatility. Looking forward to owning this for a long long time.

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket
how do you find the RiRi zipper ?
does it feel as robust as a Talon ?

I do not have any experience with talon zips. So I cannot judge. I chose the riri based on reputation and it feels sturdy and smooth.

The finish is aged, which is standard for SB

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
I love a subdued look. No studs, sequins or unnecessary zippers. Well done.

Worf

Thanks Worf, subdued is what I was going for. Your remarks mean a lot as I dig your style too.

It's still very new jacket, of course, and the slightly shiny, pitch black leather makes me look as if I am Walking around with licorice armor. It's kind of cool.

Mark

Practically Family
It is veg tan and feels very nice. Smells quite nice too. What model did you get?

On the views versus comments: maybe I will get an aero next time ;)

I like the Clayton leathers and the one made using Olives! However funds limited me to the Ranger which is horse, no idea if it is Chrom or veg tanned but the sample is very nice, lightish and flexible. I am having a Classic Bike Jacket for when I ride. Enjoy your jacket Sir.

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
What is the purpose of the kevlar?

I imagine, being at the inside of the rear hem, it's purpose is to reduce or guard against excessive wear around that area of the jacket. I have not asked SB about this. In fact I did not know it was standard until Ton mentioned it when he received his bootlegger a few weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana