New jacket! The Real McCoy A-1

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Seank, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Nothing can beat that fit, it's as good as you can get! Congratulations

2. Dr H

Dr H Call Me a Cab

Very nice example of the A-1.

3. Seank

Seank A-List Customer

This jacket is for sale in the classifieds right now for $1500 (1000 less than the cost new) I purchased this a year ago... it’s to big for me despite how it may appear in these pics, but I appreciate the compliments.

4. marker2037

marker2037 Practically Family

Ouch, that's a rough hit. That's the problem with buying some of these $2-3k jackets; the resale value is not even close to the price you pay to get it new.

GLWTS

5. Seank

Seank A-List Customer

Ya. Honestly surprised no one has picked it up from me yet. It’s a helluva deal for someone looking for an A1.

6. Dr H

Dr H Call Me a Cab

I’d suggest that you take it out of the classifieds, keep it and have the comparatively cheap remedial fix to shorten the sleeves. I have slightly shorter arms and I have to do this often with Japanese jackets (the makers e.g. FW and RM equate a larger size 42/44 with tall/long armed when cutting the pattern).
    It’s not expensive and FL members (e.g. John Jeter @CBI) can recommend if you’re based in the US.
    It will transform the jacket and if done well, it won’t be apparent.
    The rest of the jacket fits well on you and I wouldn’t recommend sizing down. There is a misconception among some that the A-1 (like the A-2) was skin tight, which is nonsense as any period photo will reveal.
    Some fitted less well and bloused at the waist (see below), but your jacket looks good.
    Go the extra mile, spend another $100 so and you’ll have a jacket to enjoy.
    Best
    Ian
    43230D80-62EC-4377-87EA-9860DD641984.jpeg

7. marker2037

Part of that blousing effect though, is that this was likely made out of capeskin, which certainly drapes easily and enhances the blousing effect.

8. Dr H

Dr H Call Me a Cab

That’s true. It’s certainly a softer, more compliant hide.

9. marker2037

I do agree with your suggestion to get the sleeves shortened and call it a day instead of taking a 1k hit on a resale. Certainly it won't cost that much to shorten the sleeves.

10. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

The hunt is over ....

11. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I like the length of the sleeves as it is. probably because the sleeve on the forearm is not too wide. But if it bothers me, I would just have it shortened. The jacket is otherwise great.

12. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

I actually don't even think the sleeves are too bad. They're slightly long, sure, but it's not bad. The rest of the fit is so good that at the most I would just get the sleeves shortened.

13. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

I personally think this is one of the nicest,best fitting jacket I’ve seen,anywhere.