Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ken Burns series this fall on PBS Prohibition

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Ken Burns new series Prohibition.

PROHIBITION is a three-part, five-and-a-half-hour documentary film series directed by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick that tells the story of the rise, rule, and fall of the Eighteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the entire era it encompassed.

The culmination of nearly a century of activism, Prohibition was intended to improve, even to ennoble, the lives of all Americans, to protect individuals, families, and society at large from the devastating effects of alcohol abuse.

S1151M-lg.jpg

Lots of cool hats coming this fall.:)
Premieres October 2nd, 3rd & 4th, 2011 at 8 PM on PBS.

[video=youtube_share;bJdKK6L8Z2o]http://youtu.be/bJdKK6L8Z2o[/video]

sneak peek July 28th at 9pm est on PBS

Last edited:

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I honestly can't wait!

All of his documentaries (The Civil War, Baseball, Jazz, and The West) were just incredible!

Rumor has it he's going to do one on The Dust Bowl?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
That looks great! Too bad it's not longer.

And, I hope Burns does do a series on the "Dust Bowl." I love all of his mini-series.

- Ian

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Can you imagine the photography that this guy has probably compiled in order to make this documentary? I mean when you do a search on Prohibition, you tend to get the same images over and over again. So I can't wait to see what new pics he's dug up!
http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/watch-video/#2022470300
Check out some of this movie footage!

Yeah... I don't think I'm going to wait til October to watch this. I think they go for like 30 bucks. This one might be worth owning?

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I honestly can't wait!

All of his documentaries (The Civil War, Baseball, Jazz, and The West) were just incredible!

The Dust Bowl, Fall 2012

upcoming_dustbowl.gif

The "dust bowl," words coined by an Associated Press reporter in 1935 to describe the southern plains that rain had forsaken, was the worst man-made ecological disaster in American history – in which the heedless actions of thousands of individual farmers, encouraged by their government and influenced by global markets, resulted in a collective tragedy that nearly swept away the breadbasket of the nation.

It was a decade-long natural catastrophe of Biblical proportions encompassing 100 million acres in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico – when the skies withheld their rains, when plagues of grasshoppers descended on parched fields, when bewildered families huddled in dark rooms while angry winds shook their homes and pillars of dust choked out the mid-day sun.

It was an epic of human pain and suffering – young children struck down by "dust pneumonia," self-reliant fathers suddenly unable to provide for their families and mothers unable to feed them, followed by the largest exodus in the nation’s history, as 2.5 million desperate Americans left their homes and faced an unknown and often cruel future.

And it is also the story of heroic perseverance; a study of the roles and limits of government; and a morality tale about our relationship to the land that sustains us – a lesson we ignore at our peril.

The Dust Bowl is directed and produced by Ken Burns and written and produced by Dayton Duncan. The film will be broadcast nationally in prime time on PBS in 2012.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I'd love to see this too. Raise or hide your liquor! lol!

I'm sure the one on the Dust Bowl is going to be good too, but I don't think I can watch that one. The last documentary I watched on the Dust Bowl nearly made me sick. Those poor people. :(

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I'd love to see this too. Raise or hide your liquor! lol!

I'm sure the one on the Dust Bowl is going to be good too, but I don't think I can watch that one. The last documentary I watched on the Dust Bowl nearly made me sick. Those poor people. :(

Agreed!

When I was studying photography I was of coarse indoctrinated with images by Dorthea Lange from the Dust Bowl. I remember my grandmother telling me stories and the way she would hold onto a brick of cheese and other food unfortunately even if it had mold starting. My God, what those folks went through... That was one tough generation!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
The only problem I forsee is that everytime I see the commercial for the series, I want a Martini. It's going to get expensive by this fall.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! We can all be expected to meet at Sheeplady's house for drinks during the airing. Unless, of course, the gin was made in the bathtub. :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Everybody is welcome! :D We keep a well stocked bar in an oak icebox. And it's not even bathtub gin- it's Beefeater!

Somebody else needs to bring the snacks. And be forewarned, the last time I had overnight guests I made them dig out a 8' by 12' space for a patio in the backyard. So come early and bring work clothes. ;)

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
I honestly can't wait!

If you have access to The History Channel keep an eye out for The Black Blizzard. It's the best Dust Bowl documentary I've seen and I think as good as anything Burns has done in recent years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ