Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW KID; Please be gentle

Vintageray

New in Town
Hi all.
Not new to forums, but new here, so please bear with me as I I get my feet wet.
I recently snagged a great leather coat on ebay. It was in my normal size large, as with a chest measurement of 45",that usually works. I did message the seller, asking the measurements of the coat and didn't receive a reply. The price was right and time shortening, so I pushed the button. It arrived in good order, it's condition as new.
Who would have guessed, although the sleeve length is the same as my other coats and jackets,
that it is a few inches too wide in the shoulders. I tried putting it on over a suit, but not much difference. To have it altered, way too pricey. I'm thinking of installing shoulder pads with sticky backed velcro as at least temporary fix, while I shop for dumbbells and then maybe get wider.
Any help in selecting a set of shoulder pads appropriate for this use or other practical suggestion would be appreciated. I really like the coat and don't want to give up on it.

Hi!

Shoulders that you find a few inches too wide sounds like a lot. Would have to see the photo of the coat but the way you're describing it, sounds to me like a deliberate style feature rather than a simple case of spacious shoulders. I mean, could be an 80's or 90's piece with mega wide shoulders or something.

Anyway, if that's the case, there's nothing you can do about it. Shoulders can be taken in only a little as it is a complicated alteration, one that takes away directly off sleeves length (I am guessing it's these additional few inches are responsible for the sleeves being right length for you).

On the other hand, if the shoulders are really that wide, adding shoulder pads would make it look downright ridiculous. Power shoulders are making a kind of a come back but last I saw, still only in women's fashion.

Welcome!
Post some pictures of you wearing the jacket, so we can get a visual. I’m imagining the situation, but my imagination is pretty active.
You might be best off returning it and looking for another. We can probably point you in a decent direction.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Taking in shoulders is a major surgery, probably not worth it. Careful with those shoulder pads, you don't want to look like this:

Byrne.jpg

^ says who? David Byrne is the coolest.
Although...my first leather cross-zip was made in the 80s and has some shoulder padding- doesn’t really hold up these days. I put it on and look ridunkulous.
6EB0053A-7B8F-44BF-A784-D10BBC73A7BE.jpeg

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Is the jacket so unique you're willing to spend money to alter it? If not, sell it and start over. If you got for great price, someone else should buy it around similar amount. And assuming it's a typical style (racer, cross zip, half belt, etc.) you'll have thousands of choices to try again.

The only jacket I've bought recently that didn't fit is the one I never heard back from seller about clarifying measurements. I've now learned my lesson. Unless I know the jacket's measurements from other info or the seller provides pics of the measurements, I do not buy. I don't care how nice or how good the deal is.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to TFL!

Pictures would be helpful, but it sounds like it just has to be moved on as others have said.

Aerielle Max

One of the Regulars
I agree, some pictures would be really helpful for us. Though, if you really have moved on, welcome to this forum.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if you put a shoulder pad, try to put it the other way around , the wide and thick part near your neck and the narrowing thinning end toward the shoulder end. I have 2 jackets with shoulderpads but it doesn't necessarily show "shoulderpad" look
Screenshot_20200817-111855_Gallery.jpg
This one has shoulderpad with normal position, thick end of the pad on the shoulder edge, you can see the shoulderpad look on it how it squared off the top of the sleeve
Screenshot_20210405-070420_Gallery.jpg
This one also with shoulderpad but reversed, with thick end near my neck. This one i do it only for extra comfort padding, since the leather is heavy and stiff, imo doesnt register as shoulder pad look at all.

Last edited:

Vintageray

New in Town
if you put a shoulder pad, try to put it the other way around , the wide and thick part near your neck and the narrowing thinning end toward the shoulder end. I have 2 jackets with shoulderpads but it doesn't necessarily show "shoulderpad" look
View attachment 326249
This one has shoulderpad with normal position, thick end of the pad on the shoulder edge, you can see the shoulderpad look on it how it squared off the top of the sleeve
View attachment 326250 go
This one also with shoulderpad but reversed, with thick end near my neck. This one i do it only for extra comfort padding, since the leather is heavy and stiff, imo doesnt register as shoulder pad look at all.
Thank you; you're a genius.
The sleeves are the proper length from the shoulder seam to cuff, but my normal size large is 20" shoulder to shoulder and this coat, 23".
Just to see, I put a doubled over pair of socks on each of my shoulders and,VOILA!, a, little round shouldered, but a decent fit overall.
Nothing special about the coat; an Alfani, reminiscent of the, "Cabrettas" or "slabs", worn by low level Chicagoland gangsters over a
"Dago T", green work pants with the cuffs rolled up, black socks and black, pointed toed lace up shoes with Cuban heels under greased back hair or a Tilby-like hat, during the time of my youth.
Now, to find or fashion suitable shoulder pads, then maybe to Cicero, Illinois to hustle a game of pool or darts. :)

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
23” shoulders are waaay too wide on a jacket with a 45” chest measurement. For reference, I usually wear size 44 or 46 jackets with chest measurements between 48”-50” and a shoulder width of 20.5” is perfect for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB