Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Kilt and Prince Charlie Coat

Highlander

A-List Customer
I just got my new MacGregor Kilt and Prince Charlie Coat. (I guess this could be a "Celtic Version of the Suit").
SwordKilt3-vi.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
No excuse needed. I used to wear mine almost daily, until I shrank out of them. I'll be going up to Edinburgh in February, who knows, I may come home with a vintage kilt that fits along with a suit or tweed jacket from Armstrong's.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I wore them in -30 to -40 (Northern Michigan), though on days like that the most I was outside was usually between the door and the car!

Rathdown

Practically Family
I just got my new MacGregor Kilt and Prince Charlie Coat. (I guess this could be a "Celtic Version of the Suit").
SwordKilt3-vi.jpg
Looks good, but perhaps I can offer a few sartorial tips? The outfit your are wearing is the Highland equivalent of an ordinary tuxedo, and wouldn't be worn when a suit and tie would be considered appropriate. Generally speaking, in Scotland, the kilt is worn with a tweed kilt jacket during the day and at most evening events when a tuxedo would be considered "too formal". Although white socks are shown on any number of websites, in Scotland most men wear some shade of green, red, or blue socks for both day and evening wear. White socks are worn by bands, and are usually supplied with rented kilts because they look "clean" (nobody really wants to rent "used" socks). Another problem with white socks is that they draw the eye away from the rest of the outfit, which tends to spoil the effect. With MacGregor tartan either dark green or deep red socks would look smashing, and be far more in keeping with the Highland way of dressing. For day wear you might also want to invest in a plain leather sporran as it would be a shame to expose your dress sporran to the rigors of attending a Scottish games or a night out with the lads at the pub.

All-in-all an excellent formal look, made all the better by your well-polished shoes. Well done!

kwitie

New in Town
All-in-all an excellent formal look, made all the better by your well-polished shoes. Well done!

If you want a different shoe try ghillie brogues. Total pest to keep the tasselled laces from falling down your legs.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yes, I do realize that this is the "Equivalent" of a tuxedo. I do have a tweed jacket that I wear out for dinner or to the pub etc.
KiltGreenShirtJacket-vi.jpg
or without the jacket,
KiltGreenSHirt-vi.jpg
and sometimes i wear a cream turtleneck under a bottle green crew neck sweater etc. Thinking on the diced or colored hose.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Ah, my Dad was always big on Polished Shoes :) So, I still polish them. Little by little adding stuff, and one day soon, maybe Ghillie Brogues are next. Thanks for all of the nice comments (fortunately my brother wears about the same size jacket and vest and he too can wear the PC jacket, for a formal event (as long as we both aren't going to the same one)).... I do have two day sporans, one black but I prefer the brown belt and sporan.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I'm with you on the brown sporran-- I usually wear a deer skin sporran with a brass cantle that I bought at the Braemar Games back in the late 60s for day wear. I'm not a fan of ghillie brogues and, like most Scots, prefer a pair of well-polished black oxfords. To my mind the ghillie (which is a heavy duty, outdoor shoe) looks fine when worn by pipers, but seems out of place with ordinary civilian attire, much as a pair of hiking books would seem out of place with a Brooks Brothers suit or tuxedo.

Lots of Americans wear wing tips with their kilts when "oot 'n aboot" and lighter toe cap oxfords (or similar) when formal attire is required. Probably the best looking shoe for regular (as opposed to formal) kilt wear (at least in North America) are the wing tips made by Rockport. Light weight, and relatively inexpensive, they nicely cap off a dressy Highland look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112