Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Sebastian! You will find we at the FL are of like minds when it comes to hats. Noticed in the other thread you said you're single. Well, then you won't have to explain all those deliveries to your spouse, like so many of us!

But if you start seeing someone seriously, you should have "the talk" with them early!
Lol if that happen, hopefully some day, she would notice very quickly, but yes "the talk" would be needed.

Great Scot!

New in Town
Hey all! I think this is the right place for introductions, right? I've been perusing the Lounge for a while, but I've never got round to introducing myself. My name's Cal, I'm about sixteen and from bonnie Scotland. I'm not entirely sure you'll be ready to welcome me, as I don't currently own any hats - my passion is boundless, unlike my non-existent budget. But hey, it's a month 'till Christmas! I'd like to post pics as soon as I've got a hat - just don't expect variation, not on my budget!
Thanks all, Cal

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Hey all! I think this is the right place for introductions, right? I've been perusing the Lounge for a while, but I've never got round to introducing myself. My name's Cal, I'm about sixteen and from bonnie Scotland. I'm not entirely sure you'll be ready to welcome me, as I don't currently own any hats - my passion is boundless, unlike my non-existent budget. But hey, it's a month 'till Christmas! I'd like to post pics as soon as I've got a hat - just don't expect variation, not on my budget!
Thanks all, Cal
Welcome to the Lounge, Cal. No hat? No problem! Read and learn! Budget? Ayup, some people call that a spouse. :)

Thanks all, Cal

Welcome, Cal. Well, you have to start somewhere, now don't you? What type of hats are you gravitating toward?

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Thanks Bigger Don! Aye, I never thought I'd ever look at ebay this much before! I sure as hell can't afford anything new ;)
New can be less expensive than vintage. Here's hoping your hat size isn't larger! I just saw a 7 5/8 vintage Bate go for almost $600.

OTOH, I have a more recent hat that cost me about $50.

One suggestion is to make the rounds of thrift stores. There are people who do that, sell what doesn't fit, then use profits to buy what they can't find locally.

Great Scot!

New in Town
Frunobulax: I tend to look at fedoras, usually lighter in colour - my dream hat is one like Sam Spade's in the Maltese Falcon... A guy can dream! ;)
RJR: Thanks!
Bigger Don: I'm afraid I do have a bit of a big napper XD Oh dear! I think I measure up about 7 1/2. The only hat I've seen in my size on eBay within my price range was a vintage Huckel in navy blue; I don't know if it's still up. I'll check out some charity shops though, see if there's anything knocking about.
I've also looked at a British company called Denton Hats, who make fedoras for about £30 - I have no idea of the quality though...

Welcome Cal, nice to have Scotland represented here on the lounge. Wow, 7 1/2", your search will be challenging. But fear not, the wonderful friends you will meet here on the lounge will help you through your search for the holy grail. I do applaud you for a sense of style at your age. We all will do what we can to nurture your fine men's hat interest. Read all you can here on the lounge and learn from the Masters! It is great to have you, a stylish young man!

Great Scot!

New in Town
Thank you for the kind words, Redfokker! I appreciate the warm welcome you and all your fellow loungers have given me, it's so nice to be greeting so kindly. Scotland certainly seems to have a dearth of hat lovers, aside from the occasional ginger tam ;) I'm always envious of your leather jackets, Redfokker, by the way - just thought I'd say!

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Frunobulax: I tend to look at fedoras, usually lighter in colour - my dream hat is one like Sam Spade's in the Maltese Falcon... A guy can dream! ;)
RJR: Thanks!
Bigger Don: I'm afraid I do have a bit of a big napper XD Oh dear! I think I measure up about 7 1/2. The only hat I've seen in my size on eBay within my price range was a vintage Huckel in navy blue; I don't know if it's still up. I'll check out some charity shops though, see if there's anything knocking about.
I've also looked at a British company called Denton Hats, who make fedoras for about £30 - I have no idea of the quality though...
Ah...uh...you've now gone into a realm of exceptions and exceptions to exceptions
A. Good fedoras are made with felt
B. Generally speaking, wool felt is considered inferior to fur felt. (The Denton fedoras are made with wool felt.)
C. German/Austrian wool felts seem to be an exception to that rule. Look at the threads on German/Austrian hats...here's one
German & Austrian Hutmachers

Great Scot!

New in Town
Okay, Bigger Don, that's certainly something to think about. Will a hat say somewhere whether it is wool or fur felt?

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Okay, Bigger Don, that's certainly something to think about. Will a hat say somewhere whether it is wool or fur felt?
The seller should know. It's usually in the description. Ebay sellers will tell you, if they know. You can also look at current hat production for a clue, and you'll develop a mental gage telling you a hat is wool felt v fur felt by the price.

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
Thanks all, Cal
I´ve found these forum this week, and ive found that is full of good fellas. Welcome, congrats that at your age has good taste. dont worry about dont own any hats. Its a very good forum.

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
The seller should know. It's usually in the description. Ebay sellers will tell you, if they know. You can also look at current hat production for a clue, and you'll develop a mental gage telling you a hat is wool felt v fur felt by the price.
A question generally i've see that fur is expensive in Europe and USA, that in my country. Perhaps quality of the fur, but in an auction in Ebay ive found That the same model from the same manufacturer than were 70 bucks more than i've bought yesterday from the the manufacturer itself, the manufacturer i speak is Maidana. Or Perhaps in Argentina, strangely hare is cheaper to breed here in the pampa that in another places. Its strange because usually the costs are almost always cheaper in other countries than Argentina.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
A question generally i've see that fur is expensive in Europe and USA, that in my country. Perhaps quality of the fur, but in an auction in Ebay ive found That the same model from the same manufacturer than were 70 bucks more than i've bought yesterday from the the manufacturer itself, the manufacturer i speak is Maidana. Or Perhaps in Argentina, strangely hare is cheaper to breed here in the pampa that in another places. Its strange because usually the costs are almost always cheaper in other countries than Argentina.
That's very interesting, Sebastian. I cannot explain it, unless government has prices controls on hats, or subsidizes the hat industry.

That would explain why once a Maidana hat "escapes" government price controls it increases in price since its value (to the buyers) is a matter of comparison to other fur felt hats.

It would also explain why Maidana hats aren't being exported. If fur felt hats were produced at lower real cost i.e. without subsidy, then they could be readily exported.

Great Scot!

New in Town
Thanks Sebastian! I've seen a few decent Ebay listings of fur felt hats; the seller stated in the description, so I'll have a look and compare them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff