New old Buco J22 pics

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by BloodEagle, Apr 30, 2020.

1. BloodEagle

BloodEagle One of the Regulars

Hey all,

Some of you may remember a few days ago I was asking for opinion of a 50s Buco which I had spotted for sale at what seemed a decent price. Well, it arrived yesterday, I've been getting to grips with it (literally, it's like armour - the heaviest jacket I've ever come across), and I thought I'd share a few shots if anyone's interested. I really like it, it seems to fit pretty well, and there are no issues that I can tell other than it being a little squeaky. I was a little anxious about it being too short in the body as I'm quite tall, but im happy with the length. Enough talk here's some pics edit - apols for the ginormous size of the images, no one needs to see that big a version of me IMG_20200428_180132.jpg IMG_20200430_111145.jpg IMG_20200430_110724.jpg IMG_20200430_111244.jpg IMG_20200430_111046.jpg IMG_20200430_111109.jpg IMG_20200430_112309.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Vezio, AeroFan_07, patrick_b and 25 others like this.
  2. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's a pretty great fit overall.

3. Monitor

Monitor

You can't upgrade on something like that... Looks truly impressive.

4. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

The length looks fine, the sleeves are good as well. Congrats - game over.

5. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

It's definitely too short..would fit me much better:),,joking it looks great on you .enjoy

6. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Is it an original Buco Buco or a Real McCoy remake? It's in such nice condition that I'd guess repro, and also since you mentioned it is heavy. If it is, that's actually better in my book, because the originals weren't made as well as the reproductions done in homage to them.

It looks good on you in any case. Wear it proudly and often.

7. ton312

ton312

Wow! Man I’ve never seen an original in that kind of shape. That’s a time capsule jacket. Fit is spot on!

Guppy likes this.
  8. lina

lina Practically Family

Yeah, it's unbelievable. Such a great find. Be nice to see a zipped up pic...

9. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Love it. As far as cross zips are concerned, you are set.

10. BloodEagle

Yes it's an original one - my thread a few days ago was asking for opinions on a new Vs old Buco - thankyou to everyone in that thread who helpd me to make a decision. Here's some zipped pics, it looks pretty tight but is actually fairly roomy and comfortable.
    IMG_20200430_133851.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  11. ton312

ton312

Did the retailer have any information about the jackets provenance? An original it that kind of shape would’ve have to been bought new, almost never worn but meticulously cared for over the course of about 70 years. Not to say it’s not original but if it were simply stored I would think the seams would be brittle and the hide quite dry. Would be interesting to know how an early 50’s jacket was able to maintain a like new condition.
    Either way it’s an incredible jacket and the fit looks spot on.

12. BloodEagle

I appreciate the thoughts - I have no idea about its history but I am pretty convinced its not a RmC or similar, although the pics dont show it it is very obviously a pretty old jacket , but one which has perhaps not been worn that much. Is the hide dry? I dont know - if it is that could explain why it squeaks so much. The retailer is Marrkt, who are owned and run by the same company (Noverre Ltd.) as RmC here in the UK at least I believe, so I have no reason to doubt it is what they say it is - it was originally listed at £3500, but I guess no one bit! -It does look newish in parts - you can see some of the machine marks still around the stitching, so it cant have been worn much at all - very odd, I wish I did know more about its history.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    ton312 likes this.
  13. lina

lina Practically Family

Hard to refrain from just saying this over and over again, but it really is a stunning jacket and an amazing find. To me, that's the best lining too. And in perfect condition.

I suppose there is some possibility that it is not original -- I don't know enough to be able to guess one way or another. If it's not original, then it's not exactly a "repro" either, but basically a "fake." I have no reason to think it is however, and like you I would just accept it as genuine unless some reason emerges for thinking otherwise.

What a beauty!

handymike likes this.
  14. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

The wear is clearly visible on the cuffs. Beautiful jacket. Will zipper dating help establish "authenticity"?

15. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

This label is troubling to me.
    Even on 80s Schott jackets this kind of label are usually yellowed a little, with fraying edges and the ink usually fades a little.
    I can't imagine how this jacket was stored for that label to remain pristine like that for 70 years.
    If this jacket is really a Buco it has spent its life in a climat controled time capsule!

16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Congratulations!
    You did very...VERY well!
    It’s beautiful!

17. BloodEagle

The colour reproduction of my phone isnt great, even less so when beamed up into cyberspace - both the 44 tag and the lining label have yellowed a fair amount when you see them in the flesh, the same goes for the overall colour, which the pictures show as black black, but again when you handle it it has obviously has faded and aged over time to an aged/off black. The pictures really dont pick up the details and patina

18. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

The zipper teeth definitely look like they oxidised.

p.s. Noverre don’t operate anymore RMC London since a few months. That’s the reason why the brick and mortar shop as well as the RMC webshop shut down. The new site has open again since a couple of weeks but the brick and mortar shop hasn’t re-opened yet (covid19 isn’t going to make things any quicker). There is a RMC outpost at the Clutch Cafe shop for now.

19. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

It is a nice find. I believe it is an original and it might have been bought as a collector piece some years ago by the shop and stored in a safe environment.

20. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Amazing! I think the inner tag on the body lining would imply it being an original rather than RMC. IIRC those usually have a bunch of Japanese writing on them. Score.

Attached Files: