Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New old stock 1930's sneakers found on eBay

MissMittens

One Too Many
Wow who on earth would pay that kind of money for old shoes? They are pretty cool, but let's be realistic here..

They would never be worth that.....even if they were lined in platinum or something of equal value. This is a case of someone likely finding something in the basement or attic of an old shop, and thinking "these must be rare, so they must be worth a lot of money".

They're cool, but you can get a pair of Converse for like $20 and rip the stars off of them for the same look :p

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wow who on earth would pay that kind of money for old shoes? They are pretty cool, but let's be realistic here..

They would never be worth that.....even if they were lined in platinum or something of equal value. This is a case of someone likely finding something in the basement or attic of an old shop, and thinking "these must be rare, so they must be worth a lot of money".

They're cool, but you can get a pair of Converse for like $20 and rip the stars off of them for the same look :p

While I agree that the seller's price is WAY off base in terms of realistic market value, original pre-WWII sneakers, particularly in deadstock condition, are EXCEEDINGLY rare usually sell for quite a lot. The same arguments used to say that they are just a pair of "old shoes" could be used dismiss a Roman helmet as just old piece of obsolete military surplus. The value of any old/collectible item lies in what someone is willing to pay because of its rarity/scarcity and cultural associations/significance.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
While I agree that the seller's price is WAY off base in terms of realistic market value, original pre-WWII sneakers, particularly in deadstock condition, are EXCEEDINGLY rare usually sell for quite a lot. The same arguments used to say that they are just a pair of "old shoes" could be used dismiss a Roman helmet as just old piece of obsolete military surplus. The value of any old/collectible item lies in what someone is willing to pay because of its rarity/scarcity and cultural associations/significance.

I agree with you, but I think the ebay venue with a starting price of $10k is not the way to go for this item.

MissMittens

One Too Many
PS I'm going to watch this and see if she relists it.

She'll have to eat the listing fee on this one for sure. They may be "rare" and "valuable" to the right person, but I haven't ever seen any vintage footwear sell for more than a couple of hundred, ever, no matter the condition. As for the gentleman who made a point about them being deadstock, I had a box of unissued WAAC shoes in sizes 4 through 7. Extremely rare, AND military related - couldn't sell them. Just because something is deadstock and rare doesn't mean they're worth anything, if there's no collectors market for them, they're worthless.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
With other old items like this, they're oftem bought to be used as patterns for making repros. I would really wonder if that could be done with these, tho.

The pricing is hilarious. It reminds me of the gun show, there is always someone with a fairly ordinary item that others have for less but their price is way too high. I always suppose they are waiting for someone that is drunk with a lot of money to come in get emotional and buy it on the spot. until then they drag it to and from the gun show for years adding to the shop worn look.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
She'll have to eat the listing fee on this one for sure. They may be "rare" and "valuable" to the right person, but I haven't ever seen any vintage footwear sell for more than a couple of hundred, ever, no matter the condition. As for the gentleman who made a point about them being deadstock, I had a box of unissued WAAC shoes in sizes 4 through 7. Extremely rare, AND military related - couldn't sell them. Just because something is deadstock and rare doesn't mean they're worth anything, if there's no collectors market for them, they're worthless.

Depending in the age/condition/complexity of the inlays vintage cowboy boots sometimes sell for over a grand. As for the value of an original pair of Colchester Flyers, I cannot say because I've never seen/heard about a pair coming up for auction, but based on what I've seen sneakers of the same era sell for, it would definitely be a lot (although by a lot I mean at least 1/10th of what that seller was asking). When it come to vintage sneakers, there is a market, Japanese collectors pay top dollar for vintage workwear, sportswear and denim. As an interesting aside, my experience is that military items usually don't sell for as much as their civilian counterparts. For example, mid 30's - mid 40's US Navy pea coats (ten-button, two-pocket) can be had for a hundred bucks or less, whereas pre-war wool shawl collar coats/civilian pea coats can easily sell for $400+

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
No, those $10K eBay sneakers were older than that. The treads on the soles were different from those of any 1950's Colchesters I've ever seen, they were definitely pre-WWII.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Awww....Colchesters, I remember when they first came out the controversy surrounding the 1892 claim. Honestly, you just need to check out the art deco tread to place 'em past the 1920s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana