Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Real McCoy's store in New York

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a New RM store in New York next to the Blue in Green.
THE REAL McCOY'S NEW YORK 10 Greene St, New York, 10013 USA
BTW, RM Japan has raised the prices of many items this Fall, including the Buco boots, N-1, B-10 etc. Prices of the leather jackets remain the same the coming Fall.

Blackadder

i wonder if they will have store on line

You can purchase directly from their store.
http://www.realmccoys.co.jp/

Shops like Vintage Paradise on Rakuten even offer tax free shopping and the price of their regular A-2 comes to around USD 1600 after deducting the 8% Japanese consumption tax. Granted that's still a lot for an A-2 and there some very good alternatives on the market. There are however other items which are quite exclusive. I suppose one cannot really compare the price of a wool-lined N-1 to a Alpaca-lined one.
Oh and the price increase is with respect to Japanese home market. I am not sure if Blue in Green has raised their prices yet.

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
Paid a visit to Blue in green earlier this year and bought myself some great denim!
Quite small store but a lot of great and expensive stuff!!!
Great service too!

Cheers Joakim

Blackadder

Latest news is that Rakuten's shops are no longer allowed to sell RM's products online after mid August this year, so may even have to pay Japanese tax.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Amen brother!

Worf

This is what we always say about higher prices here in NYC. I'm not sure if it has everything to do with the inflated prices, but I bet that it's a significant part of it.

I'll probably check out Real McCoy's shop at some point in the next few month. Maybe, I should wait until Fall and wear my Good Wear A-2 that day. At any rate, it should be fun to see everything in person.

- Ian

zhz

Practically Family
I have no idea why RM are so expensive...I dont think it is better than GW in terms of leather quality, and the accuracy. Indeed, I think GW is more accurate than RM? Maybe the high price comes from the labour cost?

tropicalbob

In Thomas Piketty's new book, "Capital in the 21st Century", he says that, by far, most of the money belonging to the .05% of the wealthiest people is in the hands, not of those who made it, but their children and grandchildren. In lower Manhattan these days, that's who buys this stuff.

Blackadder

I have no idea why RM are so expensive...I dont think it is better than GW in terms of leather quality, and the accuracy. Indeed, I think GW is more accurate than RM? Maybe the high price comes from the labour cost?
RM not only make leather flight jackets. In fact, I prefer the Few and Rainbow Country to RM when it comes to A-2 and other leather flight jackets. The only RM jacket I own is the Buco J-24.

Superfluous

RMC is clearly not a favored brand among the TFL community. Nevertheless, I remain a huge fan of RMC for the following reasons (in no particular order):

1. The quality is consistently outstanding.
2. From the zippers to the cuffs, the detailing is consistently outstanding.
3. I love their moto styled designs (eg., J-100, Single Rider and Oklahoma) -- I do not own a military repro and cannot speak to RMC's military designs.
4. RMC jackets fit my body proportions perfectly (this is key -- if your body type requires customization, RMC obviously is not for you).
5. I love Shinki HH and other leathers used by RMC (eg., their deerskin).

Someone noted that, for the money, they prefer GW over RMC. I completely agree if: (1) you are purchasing a military repro, and (2) you don't mind waiting two years for a GW (and/or you desire customization). I personally do not have the patience to wait two years for a GW, and I do not require customization. Moreover, as stated above, I prefer moto styled jackets over military repros, and RMC has a broader selection of moto and civilian jackets than GW. Finally, on the issue of RMC pricing, I have never paid the marked up amounts charged by certain US and British retailers. Rather, I purchased my RMC jackets straight from Japan and, while the pricing is still at the high end for leather jackets, it is meaningfully less than what the US/British retailers charge. Even with RMC's new limitations imposed on Japanese retailers, you can still get RMC jackets from Japan (either straight from RMC or through a proxy). At Japanese pricing, most of the moto jackets that I favor are within the range (e.g., within 10-15%) of other manufacturers producing similar high quality, expensive leather jackets (there are obviously other quality retailers that are noticeably less). Given the other factors, the slightly higher price point does not dissuade me (the much higher price point charged by US/British retailers would be a disincentive).

Thus, in short, while you unquestionably can purchase a similar quality jacket for less, I personally believe RMC is worth the price charged by Japanese retailers.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
RMC is clearly not a favored brand among the TFL community. Nevertheless, I remain a huge fan of RMC for the following reasons (in no particular order):

1. The quality is consistently outstanding.
2. From the zippers to the cuffs, the detailing is consistently outstanding.
3. I love their moto styled designs (eg., J-100, Single Rider and Oklahoma) -- I do not own a military repro and cannot speak to RMC's military designs.
4. RMC jackets fit my body proportions perfectly (this is key -- if your body type requires customization, RMC obviously is not for you).
5. I love Shinki HH and other leathers used by RMC (eg., their deerskin).

Someone noted that, for the money, they prefer GW over RMC. I completely agree if: (1) you are purchasing a military repro, and (2) you don't mind waiting two years for a GW (and/or you desire customization). I personally do not have the patience to wait two years for a GW, and I do not require customization. Moreover, as stated above, I prefer moto styled jackets over military repros, and RMC has a broader selection of moto and civilian jackets than GW. Finally, on the issue of RMC pricing, I have never paid the marked up amounts charged by certain US and British retailers. Rather, I purchased my RMC jackets straight from Japan and, while the pricing is still at the high end for leather jackets, it is meaningfully less than what the US/British retailers charge. Even with RMC's new limitations imposed on Japanese retailers, you can still get RMC jackets from Japan (either straight from RMC or through a proxy). At Japanese pricing, most of the moto jackets that I favor are within the range (e.g., within 10-15%) of other manufacturers producing similar high quality, expensive leather jackets (there are obviously other quality retailers that are noticeably less). Given the other factors, the slightly higher price point does not dissuade me (the much higher price point charged by US/British retailers would be a disincentive).

Thus, in short, while you unquestionably can purchase a similar quality jacket for less, I personally believe RMC is worth the price charged by Japanese retailers.

I would not hesitate to purchase a jacket or coat produced by Real McCoy's. I just would not purchase it in the NYC location. It's not that I wouldn't prefer to support the local retailer (and it's employees), but when I can purchase the same jacket/coat online for significantly less, it doesn't make economic sense to purchase it at the NYC store.

Real McCoy's has same great jackets and coats (from what I can see in photographs). And, I will probably visit the store to see (and inspect) them in person and maybe try a few on. That would be great. Then, of course, I would have a better idea if I wanted to move forward with an online purchase.

By the way, I'm not a 'big' leather jacket guy. I have one leather jacket. It's a Good Wear A-2 Bronco that I order and subsequently received in September of 2010. So, while I may have no interest in a Real McCoy's A-2 or any of their other leather jackets, I certainly am most interested in many of their non-leather jackets and coats.

- Ian

Benny Holiday

There was a bloke on TV here who had an early version of what they call "infomercial" shows today. His name was Joe the Gadget Man (I wonder if Smithy or Seb remember him?) and he had a catch phrase he'd use when he advertised the big hardware chain, Nock & Kirby's, back then: "Bring your money with you!" I'm thinking RM oughta catch on to that one, in spades!

Great-looking wares, way out of my budget though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko