NEW STETSON 2015 Dress catalog

Discussion in 'Hats' started by FedoraJones, Jan 21, 2015.

1. bartcubb

bartcubb New in Town

They also appear to sell the Stetson Runabout under the name Traveler.

2. KyleK

KyleK One of the Regulars

Word of warning - whether it be called the Runabout or Traveler, this hat cannot take much weather at all! After having it a few months I got caught in a light rain for a few minutes. Felt shrunk in spots.

3. RBH

RBH Bartender

4. Leacock

Leacock Familiar Face

This is kind of a silly question perhaps, but where are the prices in these catalogues?

5. RBH

RBH Bartender

Most times the 'end' price is set by the store or shop that sells the product.

6. B1ggles

B1ggles Familiar Face

I do have to agree, I found it impossible to hear what was being said at some points. But a very useful video all the same, thanks Jeff.

7. JonnyO

JonnyO A-List Customer

The Grand Central is calling my name.

8. RJR

RJR

I like the looks of the "Gulfport".

9. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

As promised i went to JJ Hats this weekend to check out some of Stetson's new offerings

2015-01-31153117_zps1bf73eff.jpg

I felt a little funny about taking pics inside so I didn't.

Boss Raw Edge-They're pretty much out of the silverbelly, I inspected the one they had left. 4 inch brim, about 5 1/2 slightly tapered open crown, rough finish (think Akubra) and cowboy hat stiff.

Grand Central-they only had brown, 5 1/2 full open crown, 2 1/2 brim with sewn underwelt, nice finish and overall typical fedora soft

Stratoliner-3 colors silverbelly, conrhill and mink. They've made some improvements since the first generation of these I bought a year ago. softer more moldable crowns.

Stetsonian-6 inch+ full open crown, 2 5/8 brim, 3 colors caribou, tawny and brown. Really nice hats. I bought one. It has a vintage Dobbs-like finish, soft and moldable. Not quite vintage quality but getting darn close. The one gripe I have is the clear plastic stitching on the ribbon. Very crudely done.
    2015-02-01082805_zpsdb1e4ac4.jpg

I asked about the new offerings in the 2015 catalog. The are getting the Whippet and Racine but probably not til the summer for fall sale. They are not getting the Absinthe. They are not getting the Excellent Quality Stratoliner. They would not order me a silverbelly Boss either. The guy said Stetson is done making felt bodies until they make the hats for fall. I guess I could get it then? this was a little vague. In this respect I will be checking with Jeff at Delmonico's about getting these hats.

Hope this was helpful.

10. KingAndrew

KingAndrew A-List Customer

TommyK,

Thanks for doing the legwork and giving us all your reviews. It's good to find out what these hats were like for you in person, rather than just in a digital picture.

Like you, I really like my Stetsonian. Every time I put it one, I am impressed with the overall look and feel. But you are so right about the ribbon stitches not being up to the quality of the rest of the hat.

I'm glad to hear what the Boss reissue is like. It's weird they weren't interested in ordering you one, since I'm guessing there are probably a few in the Stetson warehouse, even if they are running any on the line right now.

Sounds like a good way to spend a few weekend hours! :)

11. rclark

rclark Call Me a Cab

Thanks for the report, Tommy! Congrats on the new Stetsonian.

12. triple-d

triple-d A-List Customer

Oh man..........some nice ones, going to get expensive!!!!!!...LOL!!!!

13. RJR

RJR

Good reports like that get me in trouble!

14. triple-d

triple-d A-List Customer

Tommy, I keep coming back to eyeball you Stetsonian.....nice! any idea what the difference between it and the Whippit open crown. Thanks for the leg work and inside, undrcover, info...lol

15. triple-d

triple-d A-List Customer

16. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

I don't know for sure as they didn't have the Whippet for me to compare. From the specs in the catalog I'm a little concerned about the Whippet having only a 5 1/4 open crown. I think the vintage ones were in the 5 3/4 to 6 inch range like the Stetsonian. If the Stetsonian had a slightly wider brim binding it would pretty much be the classic Whippet. Which is why I bought it. Vintage Whippets in my size 7 1/2 are rare and in the $500+ range. So this is a good option for me and other big noggins.

17. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Already got mine! :D Too bad I can't open it until tomorrow, for my birthday.

18. RJR

RJR

Great,Bushman....the wait makes for a long day

19. Please get pics and give us a review!

20. stratcat

stratcat One of the Regulars

:arated: