Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Stetson label - to remove or not remove?

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I just recently purchased a new Stetson Chatham, which I like very much. What I don't like, however, is the little "STETSON" label they put at the edge of the bowtie on the ribbon. Has anyone taken these off? Is it wrong for me to take it off?

Here are some pictures of the hat:
45622_683949337986_10516577_38263770_1440573_n.jpg

44426_684481756016_10516577_38286892_1037166_n.jpg

-Max

Elgin1924

New in Town
If it's bothering you, you may as well unpick it. All it should take is a seam ripper, or some pocket knife scissors. I guess you could then tuck it into the sweatband so at least it's still with the hat.

Or perhaps if you were feeling arty, you could sew it into the lining, which would be a nice touch.

Best of luck whichever route you take,

Tommy

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
glue?

I read on here that these stetson tags are glued on.

member posted shots of his new grey felt whippet that he rebashed; anyone remember what i am talking about?

Torpedo

One Too Many
I would remove it because I do not like it, but it's up to you. If it is glued, as mentioned, it could leave undesired glue stains, though.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picard1138 said:
I just recently purchased a new Stetson Chatham, which I like very much. What I don't like, however, is the little "STETSON" label they put at the edge of the bowtie on the ribbon. Has anyone taken these off? Is it wrong for me to take it off?

Here are some pictures of the hat:
45622_683949337986_10516577_38263770_1440573_n.jpg

-Max
I guess you could do that. I usually hate designer labels as well, and avoid products with them. However, in the case of Stetson and Borsalino, I personally would leave them on, because they are good names--not that this has to govern your action. The Stetson letters look cool to me. I have a Borsalino label on my Borsalino hats, and to tell you the truth never even noticed they were there until someone e-mailing me about an E Bay purchase pointed it out and said he didn't want such a label on his vintage Borsalino. But the label is so unubtrusive, you really have to be looking for it to see it. Hence my personal thought to leave it.

On another subject, is there any disadavantage to a hat without a satin liner on the inside crown? Some hats have them, others not; in my re-blocked vintage Open Road it fell out. Is that bad functionally?

jbucklin

Practically Family
I'm with danofarlington on this one. I have a Chatham, and others have to look really hard to even notice the label. When people (who don't have any knowledge of hats apart from Stetson cowboy hats) see it, they say, "Wow, that's a Stetson? I didn't know they made fedoras!"

Richard Warren

Practically Family
danofarlington said:
On another subject, is there any disadavantage to a hat without a satin liner on the inside crown? Some hats have them, others not; in my re-blocked vintage Open Road it fell out. Is that bad functionally?

The lining of my Open Road is out and I wear it with not problem. Some hats are so woolly inside I would be afraid that individual rabbit hairs would come off and get stuck in my hair.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Personally, I'd remove the label. It doesn't look obnoxious or cheapen the hat, but I wouldn't care for it on my hat.

If you have intentions of a possible re-sell, I'd probably leave it. Who knows, the future buyer may be adamant that his/her hat have the label.

Randy

danofarlington said:

I removed the liner from my most "beater" hat due to a previous owner having scribbled it with ball point pen, the only difference I can notice is it's a fraction cooler [temperature] to wear.

AlanC

My personal preference would be to take it off if it's easy to do. I wouldn't want to do any damage, but it looks like it's tacked on behind the bow, so anything minor would be hidden.

Undertow

I say leave it alone unless it is absolutely simple to remove. If it's that simple to remove, and you're just wondering about saving the tag for progeny, then it's your call. [huh]

Personally, I'd leave it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I don't really find them that obtrusive, but yes, it should just be a bit of glue holding it on. I took the one off my Stetson Latte, no problem.

1961MJS

Hi

From my limited viewing on various websites, I thought that Stetson hats had confusing little brass pins that said "Stetson" on them. What was wrong with those, or was I hallucinating?

Later

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
1961MJS said:
From my limited viewing on various websites, I thought that Stetson hats had confusing little brass pins that said "Stetson" on them. What was wrong with those, or was I hallucinating?

Nothing wrong with those pins, Stetson doesn't do them anymore. The cloth labels are probably cheaper.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Richard Warren said:
They pulled right off with no problem. Just glue, no stitches.

Exactly my experience. The tag is glued to the inside, back edge of the bow, so even if a little glue remains on the bow, it won't show.

Undertow

BanjoMerlin said:
I can just see the eBay listings 50 years from now...

Vintage Stetson Chatham WITH ORIGINAL LABEL!!!

That's kinda what I was thinking too. You'll also see:

Vintage 2009 StEtsoN w/Original BRass pIn NR OMG! RARE!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
jbucklin said:
I'm with danofarlington on this one. I have a Chatham, and others have to look really hard to even notice the label. When people (who don't have any knowledge of hats apart from Stetson cowboy hats) see it, they say, "Wow, that's a Stetson? I didn't know they made fedoras!"

LOL. Wow thats like saying, "Mcdonalds, I didnt know they make hamburgers."

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
1961MJS said:
Hi

Later

Used to anyways...I actually took the pin that came with my Stetson Temple and put it on the Latte.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points