Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Stetson model at Cabellas...

Cool1

New in Town
Stetson Dune

I'm a big fan of Stetson Gun Club collection. I normally wear a Dune which I bought in Snowmass, Colorado in 1980. It's like a Cowboy Fedora. That hat fished a lot trout streams and hiked some might mountains with me and as you can imagine it's a might worn at this point. So with twinges of regret I am finally thinking about retiring it to my bookshelf, and carrying on with either a new Dune, perhaps the Catera.

Suggestions welcome.

All the best,
C1

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"A satin-lined, fur-blend hat with natural water repellency that makes it great for winter wear in areas where weather can change rapidly. Sueded sweatband inside, leather band with bound ribbon edge outside."

I wonder what they mean by "fur-blend"? Is this 100% rabbit, % rabbit and % beaver? Or % wool and % rabbit?

I do like some of the sueded sweatbands Stetson puts out, but only when I've had a chance to inspect the hat. I have a few that it doesn't work on, and a few in which it works well.

I'm glad to see Cabelas carries Stetsons like this. With a little steam, you could easily turn this into a very Western-style hat as well.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I get the Cabelas' catalogue before the holidays and faithfully peruse it page by page, but I've never noticed a brimmed felt hat in there before.

That's a very good-looking outdoors hat in a nice, versatile color. Any Stetson "blend" at $119.99 would have to be a combination of rabbit fur felt and some kind of wool, perhaps Kangaroo, which I've seen in some of its other blends recently. It's definitely not made of a blend of various rabbit or hare fur felts, certainly not beaver or nutria, but rather rabbit cut with some form of wool, probably plain old sheep.

That doesn't make it a bad hat, though. As to value, however, you could get better hats such as an Akubra crushable Traveller or several other pure fur felt Akubras with the same basic profile--Angler, Bushman, Pilbara--for about the same price, if not somewhat less expensive if ordered direct from Australia.

AlterEgo said:
I get the Cabelas' catalogue before the holidays and faithfully peruse it page by page, but I've never noticed a brimmed felt hat in there before.
Cabela's has been selling Three Forks Hats by Stetson for years. They also had buffalo felt hats listed too.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Seeing your post, I fished out my Cabela's Christmas 2009 catalogue to check again. The only felt hats I could find in it were it's "Lite Felt" Outback Hats on pages 91 and 148. They're all wool, have the Cabela's script on the side, come in many colors including hunter orange and camo, and some have an earflap feature. They run in the low $30s to mid $40s.

So I stand corrected, but I guess I didn't remember those brimmed woolies because I'm not interested in hats at that level. However, I'm glad to know there's yet another source for higher quality fur felts and blends like Stetsons. Chalk up another thing I've learned from the good folks here at Fedora Lounge.

I have a new friend who just moved in down the street from up East, New Jersey, I think. I noticed he was wearing some Cabela's clothes, and he said they have a big retail store in the area where he bought them that's really great. Wish they had a such a store near me!

There was a discussion here in the Lounge about Cabela 3 Forks hats back in 2006. I shop online there a great deal & have a VISA to get the free points as well. I only have Bass Pro Shops near me. Between the 2, they get a good portion of my spending funds....

theinterchange

One Too Many
How is the sizing on the crushers? I'm eyeing the buffalo blend that Cabela's has on sale for $25 but wonder if they're true to size or what.

gtdean48 said:
There was a discussion here in the Lounge about Cabela 3 Forks hats back in 2006. I shop online there a great deal & have a VISA to get the free points as well. I only have Bass Pro Shops near me. Between the 2, they get a good portion of my spending funds....

I hear you! It's HARD to visit Bass Pro and not come out with $100 less in your pocket.

Randy

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't even hunt, but it's hard for me once I enter BPS not to come out with some sort of accoutrement for my compound bow or some gear I can adapt for everyday use, like a backpack lol.

Although all I have in my general area is a Sportsman's Warehouse, which is alright, I guess.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I don't even hunt, but it's hard for me once I enter BPS not to come out with some sort of accoutrement for my compound bow or some gear I can adapt for everyday use, like a backpack lol.

Although all I have in my general area is a Sportsman's Warehouse, which is alright, I guess.

I don't hunt, either... but it doesn't stop me from buying camo apparel. :D It may be my rural Florida upbringing, but I think camo [in small splashes] can make a good accent to everyday clothing. My usual "splash" is my uninsulated Redhead boots I got online for a steal, I wear them a couple times a week at least.

I've resisted the expensive and slippery slope of archery, but I'll give in one day.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic