Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to Fedora, seeking 30s hair help

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Hello ladies

I'm new to the Fedora lounge, though I know a couple of names out there. Here's the thing, I have fine, mostly straight hair, just above my shoulders and it won't hold curl without overnight sleep in rollers, setting lotion. I mostly wear 30s, or as close to it as I can get, so I try to get a hairstyle that goes with the period (although I do not do well with Marcel waves).

I can't roll my hair everyday, as I have a toddler and start work at 5 am. I'm looking for advice on what kind of haircut would look best for the period. Should I go for a few layers? My hairdresser is just not getting it. On days I cannot do much with my hair, I just need a good cut that's not too modern looking.

Anyone have ideas! Thank you...Barbara

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Barbara!

A good layered haircut is the key to everything--it will help your hair hold the proper curl and will give it more shape and body. Shorter cuts will work to your advantage as well--they will be perfectly period and help your hair retain the curl.

And cold sets using pin curls, rag curlers, or sponge rollers are definitely the way to go. Spray your hair in the morning with a good spray, and if the curls hold up fairly well, sleep with your hair wrapped in an invisible net.

I don't know if you have had a chance to search the forums yet, but there are some great threads on hair styling, with plenty of tips and tricks to be had :)

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for the hair advice. I wish I could see a picture of someone with short hair, in the 30s before they permed or rolled it. My hairdresser tells me to find a picture of the haircut I want and he'll do it. How high should the layers be, do you know? My layers are longish and I'm guessing that's why the curl doesn't hold as well...

Thanks!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Well, Nocturne shows some photos of a woman have her hair set in pin curls, so you can kind of get an idea of length:
http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/pincurls/pincurls.html

A good hairdresser should be able to look at a picture and understand the haircut behind the style. You might try going to an older stylist who trained 30 or 40 years ago; he or she would have been taught the old cuts and sets as a foundation.

But, that said, let me post a photo of a short, 30s-40s do:
GeneTierney.jpg

Gene's layers probably start right around her cheekbones--so, about 3-4 inches for the shortest layers, gradually lengthening.

My hair is shoulder-length, and the shortest layers are about 4-5 inches long. The corners/back are rounded off as well, rather than cut blunt/straight across.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Give me a few days...

I have a whole ton of Lauren Henline's copies of American Hairdresser magazines from the 30's and 40's and she has kindly given permission for me to scan them and post here.

It will take a little while, but I will start posting pictures and articles as soon as I can.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Thanks!!

Great advice on here, terrific. I can't wait to see Lauren's magazine photos. She was telling me about them earlier. Good to know on the formation of the cut, whether you cut straight across or round. Thanks ladies. Actually my old hairdresser was probably a bit more fogey, but he's way out of my way now and very inconvenient to get to, so I prefer to 'train' my current hairdresser to do my bidding...if possible. I also heard there is an LA hairdresser who specializes in vintage cuts? Tammy, that might be her name...

Thanks again for advice ladies!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi Barbara! I'm glad you finally made it :D

Oh yes, and many thanks to Miss Neecerie for wanting to post pics of the magazines. I've been meaning to do that for ages...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
YES! Thanks, Jitterbugdoll for adding those great photos to the site!
And if anyone posts a hair pic, feel free to send me a PM me and I'll add it to that thread in case I missed it :)

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Ms Neecerie did you post hair photos yet?

Hi there,

Barbara here. Did you have time to post those 30s hairstyles from Lauren's magazines yet? I'm going to head off the hairdresser soon I hope. My hair is reaching the point where I'll have to just cover it with a scarf permanently.

Thanks!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Barbara said:
Hi there,

Barbara here. Did you have time to post those 30s hairstyles from Lauren's magazines yet? I'm going to head off the hairdresser soon I hope. My hair is reaching the point where I'll have to just cover it with a scarf permanently.

Thanks!

I havent yet...but I will try and scan at least one magazine worth this afternoon, have taken a partial day off in order to catch up on errands and so forth.

Failing that, we can find a way to lend them to you for a while. You wouldn't happen to be going to the Dean Mora thing tonight at Paseo Colorado would you?

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Hi there

Saaay...we live just down the street. My husband and I are going, and we may be bringing our toddler unless we can get a babysitter. It would be great to meet you. No big deal on the photos. I can find something on the site to use. Do you live in Pasadena? We are just a few blocks away from the Paseo.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Barbara said:
Hi there

Saaay...we live just down the street. My husband and I are going, and we may be bringing our toddler unless we can get a babysitter. It would be great to meet you. No big deal on the photos. I can find something on the site to use. Do you live in Pasadena? We are just a few blocks away from the Paseo.

I don't live in Pasadena but will be there tonight, so will tuck a few of the xerox copies i have made into my bag, to give you at least a starting point.

Denise

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to The Lounge, Barbara. It's always nice to see a new face.

I'm glad you asked the question about the shorter hair styles. I have been contemplating chopping my locks for a while now, but didn't know if I should keep it all one length or do some layers.
I can see why layers might make the curls easy, but it does make an up-do more difficult, especially for someone with shorter hair. In my profession I have to have all of my hair up and out of my face. If I go for a layered look, that might be difficult, all those little whispys falling around my face.

I've been searching the past links for ideas for a style, so I can bring a picture to the salon. I do have "1940's Hairstyles" by Turdich, but it's not as helpful as I thought it would be.
I also have a beauty school instruction manual from the early 1950's with great instructions for pin curls and fingerwaves, but again, not a great variety of shorter cuts.

Thanks for posting the pictures and the other links, they are making my decision a little easier. You gals sure know hair, just wish I could do mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ