Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to me Vintage stove questions

rue

I bought this Wedgewood stove the other day :

IMG_1280.jpg

I plan on actually using it and in fact it's been hooked up with gas, but it's shut off right now, because the pilot lights burn too low. Someone will be coming out Monday to look at it.

Anyway.... my questions are...

How old is it?
I'm guessing late 40s early 50s.

and

Does anyone have one and have they had any problems with it?
I'm worried about the gas being lit all the time. Modern day fears.... I know :rolleyes:

Thanks ahead of time for any information :)

PS I hope this is the right place to post this.....

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
Can't respond as far as any vintage aspects go, but with regard to gas: I grew up with gas stoves. Being lit all the time has never been an issue, any more that fearing that the filament in an incandescent bulb might suddenly go haywire. It's when the pilot light goes out that you have to start worrying. Is this your first experience with gas stoves? Something on fire (namely, the pilot) is good, the smell of gas is when you start getting worried.

P.S., a beaut, by the way, hope I find something like it someday.

rue

Can't respond as far as any vintage aspects go, but with regard to gas: I grew up with gas stoves. Being lit all the time has never been an issue, any more that fearing that the filament in an incandescent bulb might suddenly go haywire. It's when the pilot light goes out that you have to start worrying. Is this your first experience with gas stoves? Something on fire (namely, the pilot) is good, the smell of gas is when you start getting worried.

I had a new Fivestar gas range a few years back, but it had a starter, so the pilot wasn't lit all the time. I'm just worried it'll blow out, but not so worried that I didn't buy it obviously lol

PoohBang

Suspended
Looks early 50's to me. Does it have a florescent light or regular? If florescent then it's 53 and on. No worries on the pilot as you'll have two pilots on the top, one on the stove, the grill and one on the broiler. So even if one goes out... the other ones will keep going.

You can probably find another top as it might be cheaper than fixing the one you have, plus if you might be able to find one with nice chrome.

Over all looks good. what did you pay for it?

PoohBang

Suspended
Those stoves are very safe, super strong, and very good cookers... It's a great stove.

I'm a bit partial myself... here's my 1954 O'Keefe & Merritt Low Back
DSC04503.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A beautiful stove, Rue.

As far as I know, you just need to keep an eye on the pilot-light. Do these stoves light themselves or do you have to do that? My aunt had (or has, I don't remember) an older-style gas stove and she always lit the gas with a match.

rue

Those stoves are very safe, super strong, and very good cookers... It's a great stove.

I'm a bit partial myself... here's my 1954 O'Keefe & Merritt Low Back
DSC04503.jpg

Oh wow... she's a beauty!! Love the floor too :)
Is the rest of your home vintage? You should show it off in the Vintage house thread :D

A beautiful stove, Rue.

As far as I know, you just need to keep an eye on the pilot-light. Do these stoves light themselves or do you have to do that? My aunt had (or has, I don't remember) an older-style gas stove and she always lit the gas with a match.

Thanks Shangas!
It's supposed to stay lit all the time, so it's different from your aunt's stove.

Mark D

One of the Regulars
I'm absolutely obsessing over these stoves. I need to find one. They're gorgeous. I don't have a natural gas line but I do have propane. Does anyone happen to know if these old gas stoves can run on propane?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
They should be able to run on propane.
Rue, that is a gem. There are still PLENTY of gas stoves with pilot lights in use in America today. The only real concern is that they will use a little gas by being lit all the time, and that might add a couple of cents to your monthly gas bill. I've read comments on old stove blogs that say these stoves (the ovens, to be more precise) are better insulated than newer stoves, and thus are more energy efficient.
It's really a beauty and I'm DEEPLY envious.

rue

I'm absolutely obsessing over these stoves. I need to find one. They're gorgeous. I don't have a natural gas line but I do have propane. Does anyone happen to know if these old gas stoves can run on propane?

I would think so. The new ones do.

They should be able to run on propane.
Rue, that is a gem. There are still PLENTY of gas stoves with pilot lights in use in America today. The only real concern is that they will use a little gas by being lit all the time, and that might add a couple of cents to your monthly gas bill. I've read comments on old stove blogs that say these stoves (the ovens, to be more precise) are better insulated than newer stoves, and thus are more energy efficient.
It's really a beauty and I'm DEEPLY envious.

Thank you dhermann1 :D

Just so you all know there another stove that was a big contender at the shop where I bought this one, although it's here in Arizona... ;)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I had a friend with a beautiful 50s gas stove like these but she finally gave up on it because it was giving her lots of problems and she could never find a good repair person for it, she said it was a different story if she had lived in California she as she always phone conferencing with some there that was a bit of an expert.
For that reason I have been scouting electric versions from this era has anyone had any experience with them? We have some family friends with one in their cabin and it seems to work great.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I had a similar 50's gas stove in my old house, although not quite as beautiful as your US one. I never had any problems with it. The pilot lights went out rarely and i invested in the longest matches you've seen to light that baby when it did. (I'm a bit wussy)! It was and is the best stove i have ever used.

I hope you find someone nearer you can get to service it for you, i really do.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Growing up, my best friend's house had an old Wedgewood gas stove which his family had owned since his grandma bought it new. It worked fine from first grade right through to until now. His sister, who inherited the house, still uses it daily.

rue

Growing up, my best friend's house had an old Wedgewood gas stove which his family had owned since his grandma bought it new. It worked fine from first grade right through to until now. His sister, who inherited the house, still uses it daily.

I'm glad to hear that!

A sweet find Rue to put a warm glow into your new home. Enjoy using it and thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much Paddy :D

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Modern gas stoves use a substantial amount of electric energy while the oven is on. The oven in a modern US stove uses a hot surface ignitor (an oven in a modern stove in say the Dominican Republic still uses pilots since the electrical grid is unreliable). Reportedly people who are "off the grid" have trouble using a modern gas stove do to the high energy consumption of a modern stove. Pilot lights will burn maybe 2 gallons of propane over a YEAR.

Matt

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Hi Rue,

It looks like you have a 54/55 Wedgewood-a beaut, looks like my 53 Gaffers and Sattler. I love my stove and oven and have no problems at all with the pilots. There are two large companies that deal in antique stoves: <antiquestoves.com and antiquegasstoves.com>. They are actually very easy to work on with a basic set of tools.

You may find that you like usuing the griddle for pancakes/french toast. they turn out great. I had my utility co. come out and check out my stove when I first got it. The nice thing for you is that parts are very readily available-unlike for me.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana