Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the Lounge, not to hats

MCrider

A-List Customer
Hello all. I was going to post this on the "How Did You Start Wearing..." thread, but being it's my first post I thought I'd roll it all into one. After lurking for about six months, I decided to take the plunge and join. As far as hats go, I've just got back into wearing them about a year and half ago. My first hat I purchased in 1980 as a out of school for a year present to myself. I loved wearing that hat and got many compliments on it. It's brown and labeled a Foreman and Clark and made of imported fur. Right after that Indiana Jones came out and having people call me Indiana was too much (I actually worried about what people thought of me back then LOL) and the hat was retired. Shortly after that I went into the Air Force and somewhere along the line, my mother sent me the hat. For the remainder of my 20 years I drug it around the world without ever wearing it. Several years after retiring, I was cleaning out the closet and you guessed it, there was "The Hat". It was covered with accumulated dust and even had a moth bite. My first thought was to chuck it, but for some reason I started dusting it off. After I was done, it still looked pretty good and I put it on. It still fit and I liked how it looked. Originally I just wore it going to and from work and that was it. But as I got more comfortable again I wore it everywhere. Then I started a buying frenzy with no foreseeable end in sight! When I heard about the new Indiana Jones movie, I just laughed and waited for the comments to start. But of course now I'm more "mature" and it doesn't bother me at all. So there you are. Me and my history of hats. By the way, if anyone's interested (and if my Avatar shows up), the hat in the picture is that long suffering Foreman and Clark.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Thanks for the Welcome

Thank you all for your welcome to the Lounge. Right now I have a growing collection of 8 fur felts and a couple of woolie beaters. Luckily for me the Mrs. is tolerant of my obsessions. I'll start posting some of them to the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread, but for the last week or so the only thing I've had on my head is a Nolan motorcycle helmet.
:eusa_doh:

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hello!

MCRider, that story of your hat reminds me of how Johnny Depp refers fondly to his fedora as "my old friend". That hat is your old friend, and I bet you two have been and will go through a lot.

Welcome!!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to heaven kid....

That's right, you've found the place to be!

Cheers

Edward

Bartender
Great story! I have an old, black wool trilby that I bought in Debenhams when I was 18 - reminds me of that. For a long time I kept it "for best" - mostly wearing with black tie. Can't see me ever wearing it again, but it is an old friend I can't just throw out (maybe nephew will wear it one day if I can corrupt him sufficiently.... lol ). Amused by your Indiana Jones story - for me, wearing that black hat with a black wool trench coat, the local kids in 1992 used to shout 'Freddy Kreuger,' which I quite liked at the time - I always did mean to get hold of one of the claws to wave at them. :rolleyes:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Welcome from a fellow AF retiree (25 years, been retired 3 years now) and fellow motorcyclist! Like you, I had an interest in hats years ago (early '80s) and even have a Indiana Jones hat from then. Most of the time, though, I wore the cotton twill "Gable" style hat--that was all I ever came across to buy. A while after I retired I was doing a search for a hat stretcher to use to stretch out a leather hat I have and stumbled across the Lounge whick likewise resulted in a buying frenzy! I've slowed down considerably but that's only due to financial considerations. :p

Again, Welcome aboard!

Cheers,
Tom

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
MCRider, Nice to have you here, welcome!
I got my first fedora about the same time you did but alas, mine was destroyed. Nice to hear you still have yours and it fits!
Nice area you live in (West Virginia). I have enjoyed my outings to your neck of the woods. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ