Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New trend in movie fedoras...?

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure this is a new style bash, or a reference to an older style...but I haven't seen it before. It is essentially a snap-brim fedora with the brim down in the front and the back up. Then the sides are curled up...not a pencil curl, but looser.
I noticed it first in Mummy 3...Brendon Frazier's character Rick wears a fedora bashed that way in one scene. Then I noticed it again in "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" where Lee Pace's character Michael wears one at the very end of the movie.
I apologize for not having images to show you.
Is this a new bash, or just something recycled from and older style?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thats a good question...I bet Art Fawcett can answer that question though...I believe he even provided some of the hats for the Mummy 3....:)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
You can pretty much bet that hats have been creased pretty much every way possible in the golden era. The more I look at vintage photos the more I realized this. I'm sure some wardrobe person saw a photo and was inspired. Who knows, maybe he same person worked on both of those movies too.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
So it's pretty much a brim treatment you're referring to right?

I noticed the brim-up-on-the-sides thing pretty prominently in the third Indiana Jones movie. Makes the hat have a more western flare to it. More adventurous than just formal.

I have my Stratoliner brim curled up on the sides and I love it that way. I don't have the original slim box which, ostensibly, was designed to maintain that brim shape, but I mimic the look anyway. Same on a couple of my Open Roads as they have quite a bit of western hat DNA in them anyway.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
I agree, Gene, it does seem almost "westernish". I'm betting that the crease was used at one time and perhaps, as J.M.Stovall suggested, the same wardrobe person was on both films.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It certainly can be western, but the idea might be a bit older.
hatcard1.jpg

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
handlebar bart said:
Art made the Fraser hat for Mummy 3. It was the best part of the movie:eusa_clap

Ah...I thought I remembered reading that. Perhaps he had something to do with the "Miss Pettigrew..." hat?

and perhaps he can enlighten us about the brim treatment...was it their request or his doing?

Art?

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
kaosharper1 said:
I think there was the semi-homburg which was a homburg with the brim snapped down in the front so the sides curled up. Its described here in Hats for the Short Plump Man:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/facts_faces.html

The hat in Miss Pettigrew looked like that to me.

I have the dvd still and I'll take a closer look...but to me it looked as if it started life as a standard fedora...the curl on the sides of the brim wasn't as pronounced as a homburg's.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I thought the hat in Mummy 3 looked like about the same brim style as some of the Last Crusade hats. I have a LC hat and when he appeared on screen the brim silhouette was instantly recognizable.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Haha, yeah!

That was just my personal association though. It really did look exactly like my hat...

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
Haha, yeah!

That was just my personal association though. It really did look exactly like my hat...

Dig it. Just two questions:
1. What's a "L.C. Hat"
2. Can we see a picture of it?

Jerekson

One Too Many
Last Crusade.

I have some better pictures of it if you need them, but these are from when I first shaped it.

Akubra_23.png

Akubra_24.png

Akubra_25.png

Jerekson

One Too Many
What exactly do you mean?

Was the brim actually curlier, or did it just raise up higher on the sides?

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
What exactly do you mean?

Was the brim actually curlier, or did it just raise up higher on the sides?

Hmmm...when I get home I will try to find an image from the films...but it was actually curled up on the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points