Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New vintage leather jacket (Pony styled by Durable)

willyto

One Too Many
I'm actually very excited about this purchase that is on the way from Canada. I wanted to share it with you while I wait for it to arrive and once it does I will post fit pictures that I hope and I expect it to be fine.

The seller description was this:

- Vintage 1950's/60's Brown Horsehide Bomber Jacket
- Label Pony Brand
- Size 42
- Perfect vintage fade and wear
- Lightning zipper
- Small green paint spot (see pic)
- Good vintage condition

Measurements:

- Chest - 42"
- Waist - 42"
- Length - 23"
- Shoulders - 18"
- Sleeve - 24"

I don't know if he measured pit to pit and doubled it though. We all know how this goes with measurements on online sales. The shoulders is what usually worries me but I have two jackets at the moment so I can compare:

This ELC Pearl Harbor one has 45cm(17.7 inches? ) shoulders and is a 40 (Short sleeves argh!)

jTeDyEH.jpg
t0HMLCv.jpg

This Aero Leather A-1 has 48cm (18.8 inches?) and is a 42 that has gone trough HWT. Before it was 50cm and felt too baggy for me. You can tell the difference in the fit on these pictures

ki43oCy.jpg
9owPFxb.jpg

Now to the point! As you can see it is new to me but is a vintage leather jacket that on the label says styled by Durable and it says Pony in a bigger font which I suppose is the brand. Some help here from the veterans out there would be appreciated!

7wu5OYV.jpg

yaeOROW.jpg

fDJo3s4.jpg

H5BlwQ9.jpg

It has this spot with green paint that I will have to remove:

KwHVGn0.jpg

I believe it seems to be in pretty decent condition for the years it has. It might be 1940s or 1950s maybe? The seller indicated 50-60s but not really sure about it.

In SimonJamesCathcart forum Baron Kurtz told me it might be a 40s canadian jacket because of the lightning zipper.

Can't stop counting the days until it gets here. I just hope customs don't bleed me too much...

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
What leather is that Aero A1? Capeskin?

I bought it on Ebay from a russian member of TFL but I don't know the age of the jacket. My guess would be Oil Pull leather because it changes the colour when you pass your fingers/nails trough the leather, it feels like suede in some way too. In fact most people think it's a suede jacket and the HWT exaggerated the effect quite a bit, you can tell by the pictures but the lightning on the after is really bad. It is thick and heavy.

I just found some threads talking about Aero Oil Pull leather jackets:

Aero Oil Pull A-2 Look for post #20

Oil pull Aero A-2 and A-1 Post 43 and 49

Aero A-1 new Post 14

I'm now almost 100% sure it is Oil Pull after seeing the jackets used after a long time.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I admired that Jacket. got close. You chose well. love that lining, the back, the Front. Lot going on there. lot of flair. looking forward to the arrival.

willyto

One Too Many
The jacket arrived in 2 days from Canada and then got stuck in customs for 22 days and I had to pay an extra to receive it.

It is finally here and I will create a new thread once I take fit pics. It fits me fine I think, snug but wearable and it's on the short side.

It's very lightweight, I love it, nothing super heavy as the Aero I had. I prefer lightweight jackets over modern heavy ones.

rOJIFNU.jpg

faAI0H7.jpg

It definetely needs some conditioning.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The jacket arrived in 2 days from Canada and then got stuck in customs for 22 days and I had to pay an extra to receive it.

It is finally here and I will create a new thread once I take fit pics. It fits me fine I think, snug but wearable and it's on the short side.

It's very lightweight, I love it, nothing super heavy as the Aero I had. I prefer lightweight jackets over modern heavy ones.

rOJIFNU.jpg

faAI0H7.jpg

It definetely needs some conditioning.

I really like this jacket. I should have. I know the weight you are talking about. Great for cool Summer Nights. Looking forward to the Fit pics. Rub it down with Vasoline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana