Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Warm Weather Felt Hat

Duck

Practically Family
Here are some pics of my latest find. It was listed as a cowboy hat, but it is unlike any cowboy hat I have ever seen. It appears to be unworn. The sweat and liner say The Boot Store Nicholasville, KY. The sweat also says XXXXX Fur Felt. The hat has a 4.75 inch crown, with a 3" raw edge brim. It also has side vents that I really like(see bad pic). The felt is very soft. I removed the liner, because vents with a liner seem counter-productive to me. I really like this hat. The best part is it was on the bay with a buy it now or make offer. So, I made an offer and it was accepted!!!:) The offer......$5.00. :eusa_clap Pardon the bad pics.
100_1386.jpg

100_1385.jpg

100_1389.jpg

Duck

Practically Family
Thanks, everybody!! The hat is so soft, it is hard to give the brim any shape.
I belive the buy it now price was 10.00

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Given the fact that there was a liner, do you think the vent holes were a factory job, or a custom aftermarket thing? Either way, it looks great!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I missed that one...

Otherwise I might have taken a shot at it! What did it go for? I did a search and couldn't find the auction.

I did win a hat marker (gold leaf initials imprinting machine) a couple of days ago. That should be cool.

Cheers,
Tom

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Rick, it DID get into one of our hands...mine. It is in the process of being rebuilt ( boy was it bad) and I will be able to feature ventilation on my hats in the near future. Unfortunately, it is a large star pattern, too big for side venting but I'm working on it.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is the diameter of the pattern Art? Maybe venting the crown is an option.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Do I hear Douglas ordering a new hat? :D

I am looking forward to seeing hats with this treatment from you Art. Even if it is a little ways out yet. Hmm....I have an idea to PM you about.......

Regards,
Hollis

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
The diameter is 1 3/8" Douglas. It might work on a thin ribbon hat but nothing over 12 ligne as I don't think the proportions are right beyond that. I've thought of using it on the crown but then there is the dilema, where to put the signature pad and not block the venting?

DOUGLAS

I have a Portis Breeze Art. On that hat the venting is on the crown and at the front so it is perferated just behind the pinch like so.
DSCN4835.jpg

Of course for me given a choice between venting or a liner,I would take the venting

EricH

One of the Regulars
I would think that the script V-S logo would make a great perforation pattern. I'm sure it could handle plenty of the hot air generated by your customers. :rolleyes:

Question though, I thought they used a 38 caliber perforation patterns on the crowns in New York hats.

Eric

Rick Blaine

Art Fawcett said:
Rick, it DID get into one of our hands...mine. It is in the process of being rebuilt ( boy was it bad) and I will be able to feature ventilation on my hats in the near future. Unfortunately, it is a large star pattern, too big for side venting but I'm working on it.

Ah ha!
for some reason I thought it might've been you. I hope it works out, nifty old device that it is! I keep looking for a vented lightweight vintage model, but they rarely surface & I seen to always be outbid... oh well, fall will be here soon & we can go back to felts, eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff